What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes vs iPad Photos

sailorman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have loaded several photos onto my iPad directly from my camera. No problem there, but now I am wondering what will happen when I connect my iPad to my pc with iTunes since those photos our not in my iTuens library?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to see that you are not enabling the Sync. I never use that "Mine- booby trap" called Sync. It is a total disaster waiting to happen on any one's Apple instrument be that iPhone, iPoD or iPAD .
Need to move something to the iPAD....
Use a copy paste from library to iPAD.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to see that you are not enabling the Sync. I never use that "Mine- booby trap" called Sync. It is a total disaster waiting to happen on any one's Apple instrument be that iPhone, iPoD or iPAD .
Need to move something to the iPAD....
Use a copy paste from library to iPAD.

That is solid advice. Only Apple could get away with calling this function "syncing" and get away with it.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to see that you are not enabling the Sync.

How do you stop it, though?

I first select the option "manually manage music and videos" under the "General" tab in Itunes when my device is connected to the PC. Then I go through each tab at the top "Apps, Music", etc. and make sure the sync option is turned off. This way I am in control of the content on my Ipad and not Itunes. It also means I don't have to wait for my device to sync every time I connect it.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I first select the option "manually manage music and videos" under the "General" tab in Itunes when my device is connected to the PC. Then I go through each tab at the top "Apps, Music", etc. and make sure the sync option is turned off. This way I am in control of the content on my Ipad and not Itunes. It also means I don't have to wait for my device to sync every time I connect it.

Dave, I love you! Thanks, So much. iTunes and myself are not friends by any stretch of the imagination.

caver3d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to see that you are not enabling the Sync.

How do you stop it, though?

Dave:

I love you too <grin>. That has also been my problem. iTunes Sync is driving me crazy. You've given us the answer as to how to go manual. Thanks very much.

You know, I feel a lotta love on this forum.

caver3d

grampus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems to me that the OP was asking about going from IPAD to PC, pictures installed on the IPAD by camera .
I don't think that picture sync IPAD to PC came as an automatic sync?
I found the only way I got them there was to use the PC copy paste function, after having the IPAD become known in the PC's file system. (Win 7)
Maybe I missed something?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the love :)

The problem with Itunes syncing is that it is usually a one way sync. If you uploaded originally from Itunes and it is in your library everything is fine. If you get the media on your device by some other means (or from a different computer using Itunes) and you sync, it will remove said media from your device because it isn't in your library. For fun some time, try syncing your apps. If you downloaded them direct to your device (the normal way I would submit) and you haven't transferred the purchases, this apps will be deleted from your device because they aren't in your library.

grampus

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The problem with Itunes syncing is that it is usually a one way sync. If you uploaded originally from Itunes and it is in your library everything is fine. If you get the media on your device by some other means (or from a different computer using Itunes) and you sync, it will remove said media from your device because it isn't in your library. For fun some time, try syncing your apps. If you downloaded them direct to your device (the normal way I would submit) and you haven't transferred the purchases, this apps will be deleted from your device because they aren't in your library.
ALthough, not game to try it, I would believe that if the apps weren't transferred, then they would be deleted from the IPAD.
But, I have just been through the exercise of getting camera to IPAD images from my IPAD.
The only way I got it to happen was that I had to wait till the IPAD turned up as a device on my PC, only then was I able to do anything.
In this case, I was able to go to the DCIM folder on the IPAD, and transfer the images.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Well this is something that Windows Mobile sorted out some years ago with ActiveSync (aka ActiveStink).

After many years of scary behaviour it now does the job reasonably well with minimal anguish.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well this is something that Windows Mobile sorted out some years ago with ActiveSync (aka ActiveStink).

After many years of scary behaviour it now does the job reasonably well with minimal anguish.

It is funny you should mention this. My Ipod Touch was actually a replacement for my WM2003(SE) PocketPC. Before that I was a Palm Pilot user. In both cases, the syncing function was a real sync. That is, when you synced a device with your computer it would equalize the content between the two. If something didn't exist on the mobile device it would be copied over. If something existed on the mobile device but not the PC, it would be copied over. If something existed on both and was different on one or the other you would be prompted. This is what syncing is. Somehow I expected Apple products to work the same way (silly of me I know). What Apple provides us is something much less and quite inadequate.

OP
S

sailorman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all on this thread for the info. You have helped me and others that also jumped in. Thanks again!

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is what syncing is. Somehow I expected Apple products to work the same way (silly of me I know). What Apple provides us is something much less and quite inadequate.

Actually I have software on my PC (called AlwaysSync I think) that does the same thing for any two directories. It's all quite simple and logical so I don't quite see why iTunes would have a problem. It's very useful if you loose track of file versions and for incremental backups.

I should own up as one of the legion of iTunes-phobes I instinctively hated it from the start and would much prefer a simple file utility. I have always assumed that its main purpose in life is DRM I have NEVER used iT with my iPad.

In fact one pet peeve I have with the Camera Connection Kit is that it copies your photos on to the IPad but there is no officially sanctioned way to get them off the iPad later on ( at least I don't think there is). I had assumed that I could use the iPad as a backup device for my photos while traveling.

Last edited:

Most reactions