What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes photo optimizing crash

banders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to Apple and have been perfectly happy with my iPad for a couple of weeks now and iTunes worked just fine. I did previously import about 100 pictures with no problem at all and then decided to import my whole photo album that is a couple of thousand pictures.

It seemed to work normally but during the optimization process iTunes suddenly crashes and this happen all the time I open the program and the sync/optimization place takes part.

It crashes every time the optimization process reaches a certain photo number and I tried to uninstall Windows, reboot and then reinstall iTunes to no avail. iTunes always starts where it crashed so I cannot restart the whole photo syncing process so does this sound familiar? It is strange the photo import worked just fine before but it should handle thousands of pictures?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't experienced the problem, but I strongly suspect it's a volume issue. Can you duplicate the problem with a (MUCH) smaller set of photos? Say, 50 or 100?

OP
banders

banders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't experienced the problem, but I strongly suspect it's a volume issue. Can you duplicate the problem with a (MUCH) smaller set of photos? Say, 50 or 100?

I have no problems syncing 100 pictures but somehow if I have many pictures the optimization process goes up to 115 pictures instead of all of them (2807)
That is strange as I had no problems syncing 2100 pictures before and I just added some more pictures. What is more strange is that the optimization process _always_ crash at picture number 89 so it seems to be picture or limit related?

I would say it is quite a serious bug as it would hardly be very unusual to have a couple of thousands pictures and Apple better fix it soon.

OP
banders

banders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may want to try deleting the photo cache.

iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Thanks, removing the cache ended the sync loop so I could start from the beginning. It must be a size issue since I managed to get it to work if I divided the sync into minor parts instead.

That seems good enough for me to solve that issue, however, I did notice that some pictures were not transferred as they are basically just enlarged thumb-nails. Have anyone experienced that as well or is it a separate issue?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
banders said:
I did notice that some pictures were not transferred as they are basically just enlarged thumb-nails. Have anyone experienced that as well or is it a separate issue?

Some RAW formats will only display the imbedded jpeg picture, which may only be a thumbnail. It depends on both the format, and whether Photos supports it.

OP
banders

banders

iPF Noob
Reaction score
banders said:
I did notice that some pictures were not transferred as they are basically just enlarged thumb-nails. Have anyone experienced that as well or is it a separate issue?

Some RAW formats will only display the imbedded jpeg picture, which may only be a thumbnail. It depends on both the format, and whether Photos supports it.

Hm... when I looked at the pictures I could not help but noticing that the source pictures were of thumbnail size and I wonder how and when that happened? I hope that this did not happen due to me doing something wrong at sync... :confused:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nothing in the photos sync process in iTunes can change the original pictures on the computer. It's a one way process.

Most reactions

Latest posts