What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is jailbreaking going to be a thing of the past?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
I would not count on being able to jailbreak in the future. The new update system will NOT require your permission to download and install iOS patches if you connect your device to the Internet in any way...

Today's system asks because updates are 600M. When they are 1M or less they will simply install themselves... Read your TOS. If you connect to the App Store or iCloud in any way Apple can update your system without asking your permission

I suspect Apple will close the door and nail it shut this time.

-t

Are you sure......just because they can doesn't automatically mean that they will?

The Archangel

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Are you sure......just because they can doesn't automatically mean that they will?

The Archangel

The only reason I believe this will happen is word that Jobs does not like the fact that there are security holes in iOS that allow jail breaking. Rumor is he has become somewhat obsessed with the subject - and he always gets his way at Apple...

It will be so easy for a device to patch itself now even a few bytes at a time, I cannot imagine they would not take advantage of this mechanism in the future.

There is API support for Apps to offer incremental updates as well, which could be very interesting too.

-t

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
The only reason I believe this will happen is word that Jobs does not like the fact that there are security holes in iOS that allow jail breaking. Rumor is he has become somewhat obsessed with the subject - and he always gets his way at Apple...

It will be so easy for a device to patch itself now even a few bytes at a time, I cannot imagine they would not take advantage of this mechanism in the future.

There is API support for Apps to offer incremental updates as well, which could be very interesting too.

-t

You can't beat rumours, eh?

The Archangel

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I worked at Apple in the early 80s when it was very frightening to get into an elevator with Jobs. You might be fired by the time you reached your floor - if he asked you questions about your project you could not answer. He was really adamant that everyone on a project team understood the entire project.

When he gets a bee in his bonnet he is really driven...

-t

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I don't think that strange employment laws in the US (you can get sacked for getting in a lift?) would spell the end of Jail Breaking, hackers are a resilient bunch.

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But surely, as thewitt points out, as soon as a JB is released in iOS5, Apple will patch it and then distribute the patch to all iPads and you will have no mechanism for refusing to accept that update. It will be like having an iPad2 on 4.3.3, you JB it, then Apple automatically - and without seeking your permission - update your iPad to 4.3.4. Your JB has just gone...

Tim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That assumes that Apple will install OTA updates without the users permission, I'm not entirely sure that would happen.

The Archangel

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Well I don't think that strange employment laws in the US (you can get sacked for getting in a lift?) would spell the end of Jail Breaking, hackers are a resilient bunch.

The Archangel

It was never as obvious as getting sacked that day, but it was a very well known fact internally that if you rode in an elevator with Jobs and you were not 100% able to answer his questions you would not be employed much longer...

I only use this example to demonstrate his quirky obsessions, and currently he is rumored to be obsessed about iOS security.

-t

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
That assumes that Apple will install OTA updates without the users permission, I'm not entirely sure that would happen.

The Archangel

Why not? The TOS we all agreed to when we signed up for iTunes accounts allows this today.

-t

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We can agree to disagree, but there is absolutely no way that Apple will enable forced IOS updates OTA on iOS 5.0

Your TOS documents for every device you own (not just Apple ones) say a lot of very odd things many of which never get implemented in real life.

Yes, it is their "right" to do it, but that is very different from forcing every owner to do it. The logistics of such a policy don't even bear consideration.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
We can agree to disagree, but there is absolutely no way that Apple will enable forced IOS updates OTA on iOS 5.0

I suspect we will know very soon one way or the other.

-t

Most reactions