What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How dependent is jailbroken iPad to a PC computer?

lvnatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am planning to sell my laptop and use an ipad 4 as my only entertainment and productive device, but I also plan to jailbreak. I understand that it takes a computer to do that, so it wouldn't be a problem to use my gf's laptop when I need that, but what about the future? Can I just download apps directly to it and install them? What about themes and other tweaks?
On android for example I always rooted my devices and I only needed a PC when I did the actual root method, from then on I could just download different OS versions or kernels directly on my phone and then booted into recovery and apply (flash) them, didn't need a PC at all.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are no more bound to a PC once jailbroken then you are with a stock iPad.

The only exception is you cannot upgrade iOS OTA once jailbroken. You will need access to a pc to restore via iTunes if you want to upgrade, but if you have occasional access to your GFs laptop that should suffice.

Danielisatwar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The computer you jailbreak you idevice doesn't matter. You download the jailbreak software and connect the iPad via USB and the software will read it. Make a few clicks and you're done

Most reactions

Latest posts