What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPAD won't accept my Apple ID after iOS5 upgrade

monahanz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope somebody can help me here. First time on this forum.

I am not a regular iPad user (I use it almost exclusively to read books on a plane). I had not used my iPad in months, charged it up. Downloaded iTunes on my Windows 7 desktop and when asked uploaded what I assume (see below) is the new IOS5 iPad operating system. All did seem to go OK. However when I went through the steps to enter my “Apple ID†it would not accept my password. I opted for a new password and entered it on my desktop PC. Got an e-mail and sent back verification. However this password is STILL not accepted by the iPad!

To make matters worse the iPad is now completely useless. I cannot get it to do anything because on reset it ALWAYS comes up asking for the Apple ID and will NOT skip over this and come up normally.

Very frustrating and seems like a real bad software trap.

Can anybody offer me a suggestion? The Apple iPad web itself is an exercise in frustration. Asks for a serial number, cannot get it – the system is locked up! Cannot even go back to the old OS and have no details about what the current one is. Without even talking to a live person they want $29!!!!
Is there a way to clean the iPad slate and start over?

faythchen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope somebody can help me here. First time on this forum.

I am not a regular iPad user (I use it almost exclusively to read books on a plane). I had not used my iPad in months, charged it up. Downloaded iTunes on my Windows 7 desktop and when asked uploaded what I assume (see below) is the new IOS5 iPad operating system. All did seem to go OK. However when I went through the steps to enter my “Apple ID†it would not accept my password. I opted for a new password and entered it on my desktop PC. Got an e-mail and sent back verification. However this password is STILL not accepted by the iPad!

To make matters worse the iPad is now completely useless. I cannot get it to do anything because on reset it ALWAYS comes up asking for the Apple ID and will NOT skip over this and come up normally.

Very frustrating and seems like a real bad software trap.

Can anybody offer me a suggestion? The Apple iPad web itself is an exercise in frustration. Asks for a serial number, cannot get it – the system is locked up! Cannot even go back to the old OS and have no details about what the current one is. Without even talking to a live person they want $29!!!!
Is there a way to clean the iPad slate and start over?

Is your Apple ID a valid one to begin with ? and did you jail break your ipad before ? Cuz if you did this is obviously could be one of the causes. Try creating a new Apple ID first online then try it on your Ipad ?

OP
M

monahanz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is definately not a "jail brake" -- not quite sure what that is! but its a standard iPad I got last year. Used it only twice in that time and now wanted to use it again.
The thing was hardly used!

LLL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After doing the iOS update, we also ran into the pesky problems described at this link:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3379901?start=0&tstart=0
It was an iTunes support person who found out for us that after the iOS5 update, the Apple ID has to be an email address, and that the email address that you specify will serve as your new Apple ID for iTunes as well as everything else.
Another factor that contributed to the confusion was the fact that the display at the Apple site (such as the Apple Developer site) still defaulted to the original Apple ID, which had ceased to work. After we typed the new Apple ID over the old one, then it worked fine.

OP
M

monahanz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the end I just gave up and added an iCloud [email protected] address. At least that got me out of the stuck loop above i could not get out of.
However now I have an e-mail address I don't really want. Very disappointed with the whole operation!
Will probably leave things as there are as I cannot trust this thing with more changes. Unlike most here on this forum I just use the iPad to read PDF files -- nothing else.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
monahanz said:
In the end I just gave up and added an iCloud [email protected] address. At least that got me out of the stuck loop above i could not get out of.
However now I have an e-mail address I don't really want. Very disappointed with the whole operation!
Will probably leave things as there are as I cannot trust this thing with more changes. Unlike most here on this forum I just use the iPad to read PDF files -- nothing else.

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I'm Glad you at least can access you iPad now. Hope you start using your iPad more and become a contributing member here.

I hope you find this forum as informative and addictive as I do!
You will find that there are many members with a great knowledge base, waiting to help you with any issue you might have.

# Don't forget to use the search function, as there is a lot of issues already resolved here.
# If you haven't already, download the user manual for free at: http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad
# Also, feel free to have a look at this thread, it gives great tips and tricks for new users: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
# Ensure you take time to familiarize yourself with the forum rules at: http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

If you have any more problems, there are many members here waiting to help.
Now that you are here you will never want to leave, so have the time of your life. :)

Regards,
Chays

Most reactions