What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cannot get into ipad2 after resetting it,wont accept my id

marine123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,i am new to this forum,so i am introducing myself to you members.Thanks
I have been left an Ipad2 from my son from the usa when he came to see me in england.

I wanted to have my own apple id on there,so i reset the ipad,by deleting everything,but couldn,t get back in the ipad,as my son still had his "find my iphone" on his ipad.
I phoned him up,he deleted it from his ipad,and i was allowed to set my ipad up "as from new".

When it came to "Create apple id"i put in my email address(which i use on my comp),it said this apple id is being used,so i couldn't go any further.
Now i think i know why,my wife bought a new Ipad2 in the week,and i set it up with my email address as the apple id,my ipad my son gave me,the id on that one was his apple id.

So now i can't set it up,it did come up with a message saying"If this is your account,reset a fogotten password at "https://iforgot.apple.com
I went to that site,started filling the form in,but when i put my email address in,it wouldn't accept it,as it wanted an email address that wasn't being used,so i don't know what to do now.
Hoping one of you chaps can help me out here please,as i'm stuck on the Apple id.

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

You are right. An email address can only be used once for an Apple ID. With your email address already as Apple ID for your wife's iPad, there are a few things you can do:

Set up your iPad with the same Apple ID, but use a different iCloud account. That way you can share apps, music, books with each other. Photos, notes, ... and backups created will be different.
Set up a new email address (e.g. Gmail) and use that one as an Apple ID for your device. You'll need to set it up with another device, because you still can't use the iPad. After creating the address, you should be able to set up the iPad with that one as Apple ID.

You can contact Apple Support if you still have problems setting up your Apple ID: https://getsupport.apple.com/ServiceOptionAction.action

Last edited:
OP
M

marine123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J A

Thanks for posting to me,i'm not quite sure what you mean by setting up the same id,as it wont accept my current email address?
It does say on my ipad before i get to the id page,i can get a free icloud email address,instead of my current email address,would that be okay as to downloading app etc.?
Also how would i set up a new email address gmail with another device.I have a computer.Which is the best and easy option?

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
J A Thanks for posting to me,i'm not quite sure what you mean by setting up the same id,as it wont accept my current email address? It does say on my ipad before i get to the id page,i can get a free icloud email address,instead of my current email address,would that be okay as to downloading app etc.? Also how would i set up a new email address gmail with another device.I have a computer.Which is the best and easy option? Thanks
What I meant was: not creating a new Apple ID, but using the one that your wife has on her iPad.

You can use the iCloud email address as Apple ID. That would be the easiest way to create an Apple ID.

OP
M

marine123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J. A.
I cant use the apple id my wife has,as it is my proper email address.
If i use the icloud email address,will i still get my emails i get from my current comp email address?
The icloud says if i create the icloud address,i wont be able to change it after creating,is that a problem,or will i be able to put in my proper email address when i get into the settings icon on the desktop?
Sorry to be a nuisance,i'm not at all up to date with these devices,i used to make my own comps,but getting to old now.

Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
J. A. I cant use the apple id my wife has,as it is my proper email address. If i use the icloud email address,will i still get my emails i get from my current comp email address? The icloud says if i create the icloud address,i wont be able to change it after creating,is that a problem,or will i be able to put in my proper email address when i get into the settings icon on the desktop? Sorry to be a nuisance,i'm not at all up to date with these devices,i used to make my own comps,but getting to old now. Thanks.
No problem. :)
You can set up the email address (after activating the iPad) in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars. Then you'll be able to receive the emails from that account in the built in Mail app.

Your Apple ID will stay the iCloud account email address. That won't change.

Last edited:
OP
M

marine123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A.
Okay,i will start setting the ipad up with icloud address,and do as you say,i will let you know what happens,hopefully it will work,
and thanks for being so patient.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
J.A. Okay,i will start setting the ipad up with icloud address,and do as you say,i will let you know what happens,hopefully it will work, and thanks for being so patient.
My pleasure. :)

Just one more note: one Apple ID can be used on more than one Apple device, that's why I suggested setting up your iPad with the same Apple ID. (Same password,... also)
In that case you wouldn't create a new Apple ID, but use an existing Apple ID.

OP
M

marine123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A.
I ticked the "get free icloud email address,clicked next,next page says email [email protected]so i put in my [email protected],then create,then message comes up"try another apple id,this one is being used,i havent got a clue what to put in.
I noted your last post,so i tried putting in again the same apple id in my wifes ipad,which i went into itunes&apps to get it,but no joy,beats me.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
J.A. I ticked the "get free icloud email address,clicked next,next page says email [email protected] i put in my [email protected],then create,then message comes up"try another apple id,this one is being used,i havent got a clue what to put in. I noted your last post,so i tried putting in again the same apple id in my wifes ipad,which i went into itunes&apps to get it,but no joy,beats me.
There's the possibility that someone else with the same name as yours already uses this as iCloud account. Change the one you tried (put in a number, or your middle name, or something else). Maybe it will work then.

OP
M

marine123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A.
Tried all kinds of names with numbers on the end of the names,but i still get"try again"

OP
M

marine123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A.J.
No,it didnt work,as it said the email address is being used,actually i did try that a few hours ago,so im stumped it looks like.
Is there anyway i can link my wifes ipad to mine,as she has my email address as her APPLE ID?

I did try my sons previous id which i had before i reset my ipad,but that didnt work either,but he said it might be because he had to delete his"find my iphone"then it allowed me to reset my ipad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, my bad. I realized too late that you need to create an email address before creating a new Apple ID.

When you use the same email address (Apple ID) and password as on your wife's iPad, you should be able to activate the iPad using that Apple ID. This time try "Restore from .... backup". Maybe that's why it didn't work before.

Last edited:
OP
M

marine123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A.
I have got it working now,i went back,and instead of working it as a new ipad,i worked setting up from itunes,using my sons gmail,its okay now.What i would like to ask you,how do you
delete all the emails you get in one go,instead of getting rid of them one at a time?
I would like to thank for persisting with me.

Most reactions