What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 a big let down plus iPad 4 wish list

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever I read posts about complaints it just sounds like someone is trying to justify their cheapness or poorness.

It's a money thing, and if money wasn't an issue there's not one person on this forum that wouldn't have every damn one every time Apple spit one out. Say you wouldn't and you're lying.

So whenever I see a thread like this or people complaining about an apple product I believe that they are just trying to justify not being able to have the latest and greatest toy. Either becasue they can't afford it or are cheap.

Get over it, the 3 is better than the 2 and the 4 will be better than the 3. That's life.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some people simply can't see the visual difference in the screens... it's like HDTV. My mother doesn't see what the big difference is between SD on a 32" tube and 1080p on a 70" screen. She's not "visually attuned" per se.

I upgraded from Gen 1 to Gen 3 iPad and the difference in the screen is like night and day to me, especially on printed (Kindle, other docs) matter, especially in small typefaces. However, when I've shown it to others, the reactions range from "WOW!!!" like my reaction is, to "I don't see what the big deal is." Different visibility thresholds I guess.

As much as I am not a fan of the Apple iUniverse and the fanboyism that tends to permeate many Apple vs. Windows discussions, I have to admit that I am very pleasently surprised by the iPad 3, specifically that Apple was willing to put in a display with 4 times the pixels at the same price point as previous generations. Most other makers would have upcharged for that, especially considering the higher QC reject rates (hence high manufacturing costs) when you increase screen resolution.

I personally think Apple hit a homerun with this new iPad... it establishes a new benchmark for other makers to strive for.

I can easily see the diff between retina screen and non-retina. I've had retina screen since Apple introduced it in 2010 on iPhone 4. The display alone just doesn't matter enough to me, and the other new features aren't big enough selling points for me. To each his own, of course.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever I read posts about complaints it just sounds like someone is trying to justify their cheapness or poorness.

It's a money thing, and if money wasn't an issue there's not one person on this forum that wouldn't have every damn one every time Apple spit one out. Say you wouldn't and you're lying.

So whenever I see a thread like this or people complaining about an apple product I believe that they are just trying to justify not being able to have the latest and greatest toy. Either becasue they can't afford it or are cheap.

This kind of thinking doesn't make sense. Someone like Warren Buffet or Bill Gates can afford much more than most people. That doesn't mean they buy everything that comes out. All of us have price points, of course, but many purchases are based on perceived value, not just affordability.

Most of us can probably afford a tube of lipstick, a book, a CD, etc., without sweating it, but most of us don't buy just because we can afford them. We usually buy when we see a need.

lennywc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I am not very happy with its performance either. It does get too hot for using outside here in Florida. And the lengthy charge time is a bummer. I am going to keep it . I don't think apple is going to give up on the retina display . If they go to quad CPU on iPad 4 it will just run hotter . I think the retina display should be an option on the iPad 3 . If you don't want it you should be able to get onone with the old display , wow now that would be a screamer and it would run for 20 hours plus. All that CPU power could be allocated for other than the display . I want the ipad3 with the iPad 2 display!,!!! And I want it now!

lennywc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
XDroX , you are wrong . I bought the iPad 1 and I did not buy the iPad 2 and I certainly have the money. I did not see a need. I bought the ipad3 because the lack of ram in the ipad1 was becoming a problem. When I heard that the 3 would have 1 GB of ram I was Sold . You are so very wrong .

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah I am not very happy with its performance either. It does get too hot for using outside here in Florida. And the lengthy charge time is a bummer. I am going to keep it . I don't think apple is going to give up on the retina display . If they go to quad CPU on iPad 4 it will just run hotter . I think the retina display should be an option on the iPad 3 . If you don't want it you should be able to get onone with the old display , wow now that would be a screamer and it would run for 20 hours plus. All that CPU power could be allocated for other than the display . I want the ipad3 with the iPad 2 display!,!!! And I want it now!

That's actually an interesting option. I guess you will never see it though....Apple would have more models than they apparently want to support.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lennywc said:
XDroX , you are wrong . I bought the iPad 1 and I did not buy the iPad 2 and I certainly have the money. I did not see a need. I bought the ipad3 because the lack of ram in the ipad1 was becoming a problem. When I heard that the 3 would have 1 GB of ram I was Sold . You are so very wrong .

Actually you are both right - so very right.... :)

For many it will come down to the fact they cannot justify it due to the budget. Nothing wrong with that and I respect them for not going for the "want" vice a "need". Should they post a bunch of fluff / bad mouth a device because of it? No, but that's a completely different "personal issue". But it happens.

For those that have the disposable income to purchase at will, when each version comes out.. Well, those that can, can... And regardless if anyone else thinks they are foolish with their cash, truth be, who cares. Lennywc, you and I are alike. I wanted the iPad 2 and could of purchased without thinking twice financially. Yet given the fact it didn't quite meet my thought of a worthy upgrade, it didn't meet my "value" meter in regards to purchase.

Above all,,, I really don't care what others think. Only I need to justify my purchase.. Some harder than others... :)

Cheers.

Texas Holders

iPF Noob
Reaction score

From what I have seen, the charge time is around 5.5-6 hours when the battery is fully discharged. Most people sleep at least that long and most don't fully discharge it before the end of every day either. So I don't understand the issue.

ssilver10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad987 said:
As most of you know, iPad 3 was a big let down with very minor upgrades that are often not noticeable against the iPad 2. You can tell people doing comparison videos on YouTube are not enthused about it. I have seen speed tests, for example, where web pages take the same time to load as the iPad 2. Other speed tests have also about the same. A better screen maybe, but again, most people can't really tell the difference when viewing video. The only difference is really better photo clarity.

I have been so disappointed that I couldnt be bothered to sell my iPad 2. I am simply not enthused about the new iPad. Having said that, whatever Apple comes out with will no doubt get a loads of people flocking to the stores to buy it.
Anyway, here is a wish list for iPad 4.

* fast processor where you can actually tell the difference
* higher resolution screen
* better battery life, although the current battery life is very good
* lighter than iPad 2 - would like to see it come down to 1 pound
* thinner or that's at least the same thickness as iPad 2
* maybe new design, although actual in-device performance enhancements will suffice

As a new iPad owner, I think I have to refute this. Though some of your previous points are valid, I can say that your iPad 4 wish list has already arrived. The new A5X chip has been working better than my previous iPad 2 with the A5 chip. The retina desplay screen is amazing and I do not know what else you expect for a tablet's desplay. It is probably the best you will get. The new iPad as a matter a fact has a better battery to handle all of this power, still maintains its 10 hour span if not more. I do not think that it will get any lighter or thinner. If we want more and more things in our fourth-generation iPad, like your "better battery", it will not get thinner or lighter until the distant future. I am not sure what you expect from a new design. There is not much more to do with the body of the device it self.

Not to start an all out war, this is just my opinion and you too have your opinions and I respect that.

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad987 said:
As most of you know, iPad 3 was a big let down with very minor upgrades that are often not noticeable against the iPad 2. You can tell people doing comparison videos on YouTube are not enthused about it. I have seen speed tests, for example, where web pages take the same time to load as the iPad 2. Other speed tests have also about the same. A better screen maybe, but again, most people can't really tell the difference when viewing video. The only difference is really better photo clarity.

I have been so disappointed that I couldnt be bothered to sell my iPad 2. I am simply not enthused about the new iPad. Having said that, whatever Apple comes out with will no doubt get a loads of people flocking to the stores to buy it.

* maybe new design, although actual in-device performance enhancements will suffice

This guy is such a clown....... A higher resolution screen? Really? Lmfao

Lighter? It's already light enough with the horsepower that it has.

New design? What's wrong with this design?

People like you will never be pleased.......

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All of these discussions are interesting but I am just hoping the camera is better. I love my iPad 2 but the pictures it takes are fuzzy. So I think we all have different reasons for buying a piece of technology and if it meets your needs or wants and is within your financial parameters then you get it. If it doesn't then you don't. I'm old and if it takes better pictures of my grandkids and my garden and they look better on the whatever pixel screen I'll be happy.

Bobbi

Kempy2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad987 said:

You have to be kidding! What would make you happy about processing speed? Instantaneous uploads? The screen resolution is unbelievable.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bennettb said:
All of these discussions are interesting but I am just hoping the camera is better. I love my iPad 2 but the pictures it takes are fuzzy. So I think we all have different reasons for buying a piece of technology and if it meets your needs or wants and is within your financial parameters then you get it. If it doesn't then you don't. I'm old and if it takes better pictures of my grandkids and my garden and they look better on the whatever pixel screen I'll be happy.

Bobbi

I see a new iPad in your future. And don't forget you can take 1080p video of your grand kids and, using iMovie, make home videos of them right on your iPad new.

LT.MAS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I see a new iPad in your future. And don't forget you can take 1080p video of your grand kids and, using iMovie, make home videos of them right on your iPad new.

Lol He's surely going to get an iPad :).

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LT.MAS said:
Lol He's surely going to get an iPad :).

He/she would have already logged in and told us about the purchase yet they are too busy playing with it.... :)

Most reactions

Latest posts