What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 16gb Wi-Fi Bricked

Appledummy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey so I have been reading on forums for a week now and can find no one with my problem. I have an ipad 2 that is stuck on the recovery mode and displays error 1611 when you try to restore it. I had a friend look into it and he ran a diagnostic test on it and it came back with what is below. He said the top error is normally what means it is bricked and an attempt to jailbreak it failed and bricked the ipad. Someone please help so I am not stuck with a fancy paper weight. Yes, the warranty has ran out on it. I bought the ipad second hand. Here is the message it displayed

[FTL:MSG] Apple NAND Driver (And) RW
[FTL:MSG] Fil_Init [Ok]
[FTL:MSG] [Ok]
[FTL:MSG] [Ok]

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at this Apple web site that explains error codes: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694

According to Apple, this 1611 error code "typically occur when security software interferes with the restore and update process."

So, have a look at the link and follow the hints for troubleshooting (turning off security software or trying another computer).

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
A

Appledummy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I do not think that is my issue, I have a 2009 macbook pro, I always update everything on my mac when the updates come out.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But just to be clear, there is no such thing as a failed jailbreak of an iPad EVER having caused an error like this. It is IMPOSSIBLE to brick an iPad by trying to jailbreak it.

A NAND failure is a fault in the hardware, but you can be sure it was not caused by jailbreaking. However, to double check one final time, try this...

Make sure you are using an original Apple iPad cable (yes, that can be important), and follow this guide step by step - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Make sure you follow all the steps, even if you don't think they are relevant. Let us know if that resolves the 1611.

As a final resort, take it into an Apple store. They will restore it for you in-store. If they can't then at least you will have final confirmation the hardware is knackered.

Last edited:
OP
A

Appledummy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So when I go through the process it freezes at the apple logo and display's an even longer diagnostic messages. Screen Shot 2012-07-31 at 6.37.57 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts