What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS8 Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The one factor that most likely attributed to the lack of finesse of the iOS 8 upgrade is that the number of iOS 8 "developers" is exponentially higher than that of iOS 7. There was a breakdown somewhere that I'll have to look for, but the approximate proportion of actual developers on iOS 7 was about 1 to 7 or 1 to 8. The approximate proportion of actual developers on iOS 8 was something around 1 to 12 or 1 to 13. Meaning for every 12-13 claimed developers, only 1 is an actual developer that's testing/troubleshooting/using the beta iOS for testing/developmental purposes. The latter 11-12 supposed developers simply purchased a UDID registration off of eBay or some other source to gain beta access.

Because of the lack of reports filed towards Apple to report bugs and issues during the beta phase, the GM release of iOS is continuously deteriorating with every iOS threshold that's being released. To exemplify, if you look at iOS 6, it was pretty ironed out on iOS 6.0.1 for testable devices (iPhone 5 wasn't released, so you can't exactly test it publicly). iOS 7 took a bit more time in needing a 7.0.6 update to iron out the bugs. iOS 8 at 8.1 is still nowhere near as refined as 7.0.6 of mechanical issues such as touchscreen lag/latency, etc.

TL;DR: iOS GMs pretty much sucks more and more with every subsequent release from lack of actual testing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As I said, but didn't emphasize. Apple pushed too hard on this one, probably because they felt an obligation to have the new iOS version out at the same time as the new iPhone; as they have pretty much every year.

They need to rethink their strategy, and the issues they had this year should push them to do just that.

In the mean time, each update pushes a bit closer to where things should be. All we can do is wait, and hope this turns out to be a lesson well learned by Apple.

Well, and offer a bit of feedback when the opportunity arises.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As usual, very well said TP. Puts things into perspective.
Thanks,
Mike

No problem, but to be honest all I'm doing is repeating what several people, much smarter and better informed than I am, are saying on blogs and podcasts. Mostly Apple media, but the ones I listen to have never been shy about calling Apple on real (as opposed to bendgate) issues when they see them.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree TP but my first post said it, all iOS 8 sucks and all the excuses in the world are not going to put it right. Feedback completed sent 3 times since upgrade and not a single response from Apple.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't get an answer when you send feedback:
image.jpg

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I said, but didn't emphasize. Apple pushed too hard on this one, probably because they felt an obligation to have the new iOS version out at the same time as the new iPhone; as they have pretty much every year.

They need to rethink their strategy, and the issues they had this year should push them to do just that.

In the mean time, each update pushes a bit closer to where things should be. All we can do is wait, and hope this turns out to be a lesson well learned by Apple.

Well, and offer a bit of feedback when the opportunity arises.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Whole heartedly agree. Back when the iPad 2 was released, it was released smack in the middle of iOS 4. That's the smart thing to do because you know that the iOS is stable and extremely refined. With a brand new iOS, particularly on devices that are newly revealed, you have no way of testing it on a large scale, so it's guaranteed to be unstable for those new devices let alone the prior generation of devices. If they inserted the iPhone 6 and 6+ as well as Air2 and Mini3 with iOS 7.1.3 or 7.2 or some iteration of the sort, you can let the device sit around to gain familiarity and at the same time test for bugs that were ironed out on iOS 7 and see if they're present for the newer device, then later incorporate a bug fix for it in iOS 8 in this case.

Taking into consideration that the mobile market is a significantly larger competitive scene compared to other areas of electronics, it's logical that Apple wants to stay on the same track as Google with device releases in the early Fall with a new iOS to highlight the new device, but it's impractical in Apple's standpoint. Because beta firmwares are accessible to the public in one form or another, even if you're not an actual I/O developer, you can still report bugs to Google so that they can expedite the revisions to the firmware and release it as refined as possible through large scale testing. Since beta firmware is only accessible by those that pay a premium in the case of iOS, it's extremely difficult to iron out issues when you don't have a large scale consumer pool as your figurative guinea pigs.

At the end of the day, it's a business for them, and we can't exactly dictate how they do what they do as we're just the consumers, but even in a competitive scene, Apple has to emphasize the software portion of their sales as well as the hardware portion. Money talks :p

And TP, every time you post, it's a course of creative juices flowing. Whether it be debate, discussion, or just advice, it's spot on to the point and gets you thinking that "huh, that's a good way of putting it" or "huh, that's a good point of view". Glad we have you in the community posing questions and criticism :) Same with Johanna!

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Joanna you beat me to posting that by a minute. I believe at the end of the day we will see a response on upcoming updates. What makes it difficult the bigger issues like lagging and safari appear not to affect all models including SOME of the earlier iPad 2 and iPad 3 and iPad mini first gen. I own a iPad 3rd gen and after 2 full restores and going back to basics I finally had it running without major issues. I did however remove 15 apps to achieve this. At the very least we all hope Apple will listen

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Joanna you beat me to posting that by a minute. I believe at the end of the day we will see a response on upcoming updates. What makes it difficult the bigger issues like lagging and safari appear not to affect all models including SOME of the earlier iPad 2 and iPad 3 and iPad mini first gen. I own a iPad 3rd gen and after 2 full restores and going back to basics I finally had it running without major issues. I did however remove 15 apps to achieve this. At the very least we all hope Apple will listen

It's also difficult to report issues to the fullest because there isn't a way to actually log everything that's going on at the same time when the issue is present. Granted though it would probably kill the OS having to log it all, but that would probably help boost the ability to resolve bugs. Playing devil's advocate, that could also be a security flaw, being able to log everything that's going on. Issues "eventually" reaches Apple's ears, it's always a matter of time for Apple.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Johanna - the small print!

Strange but that just leaves me with a horrible thought that there is a very large 'feedback' folder somewhere close to Mars that automatically dumps everything every 24 hours.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow! A whole host of good info and debate. Wouldn't it be just great if Apple took all this on board! Despite the present issues with IOS 8, this has all made such interesting reading.
Thanks all.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow! A whole host of good info and debate. Wouldn't it be just great if Apple took all this on board! Despite the present issues with IOS 8, this has all made such interesting reading.
Thanks all.

Apple in a nutshell

rubNV0L.jpg

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Look for more apple stuff being pushed out. Sammy's in hot persute

The one major flaw with Samsung devices is TouchWiz. Majority of users have an issue with TouchWiz, but if you flash another ROM or get the GPE edition, it's topnotch, yet Samsung insists on keeping TouchWiz clunky :/ The one reason that iOS devices outperforms a lot of Samsung alternatives is because it's kept at a minimal or on a on-demand basis. There hardware is better, but only because it's needed to compensate for clunkiness, hence the later devices barely using the 2GB of RAM as opposed to Samsung's 3GB+ devices

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The one major flaw with Samsung devices is TouchWiz. Majority of users have an issue with TouchWiz, but if you flash another ROM or get the GPE edition, it's topnotch, yet Samsung insists on keeping TouchWiz clunky :/ The one reason that iOS devices outperforms a lot of Samsung alternatives is because it's kept at a minimal or on a on-demand basis. There hardware is better, but only because it's needed to compensate for clunkiness, hence the later devices barely using the 2GB of RAM as opposed to Samsung's 3GB+ devices
Yeah, but they sure in the hell know how to make a keyboard.
Which brings up this question. How come iPad dosent have a delete key? Too much to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts