What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS8 Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it just me or does everybody else think IOS8/8.1 is a real retrograde step? I've never had a problem with my iPad 3 64Gb since I bought it - but since the update so much seems not to work anymore. Safari is so slow it's like going back to the Internet in Baghdad 10 years ago, it freezes 10 times a day and the screen gets so hot you can't hold it in your hand for more than an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have restored it - several times.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Butler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it just me or does everybody else think IOS8/8.1 is a real retrograde step? I've never had a problem with my iPad 3 64Gb since I bought it - but since the update so much seems not to work anymore. Safari is so slow it's like going back to the Internet in Baghdad 10 years ago, it freezes 10 times a day and the screen gets so hot you can't hold it in your hand for more than an hour.

I am finding the same problem with iOS 8 apart from the heat. I have an iPad 4 and it is now MUCH slower than it was.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With my Air 1, the ONLY issue I have is with Safari. Everything else runs great.. No problem with battery use or crashes.

But.... Ever since 8.0 was released, I find that quite often when it tap on a link in Safari, nothing happens. It's like I tapped on a blank part of the screen with no links on it..

I have to poke away at the link several times before it recognizes that my finger is there and decides to load the page that the link points to. This doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen enough to be really annoying.

M

moparherb

It just took Apple a while to catch up to Microsoft as far as screwing up a good thing. Since IOS 8 crazy things happen at crazy times but I guess Safari is the worst. And guess what I use my IPad Air 1 for most, naturally web surfing. So here we go, complain...nothing gets done....we accept poorer performance....some of us will defect. What a shame for such a great product.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Moparherb - I wholeheartedly support what you are saying but I wouldn't use the word Screwing.

jimmiesmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 5S and I'm ready to switch back to Android because of the iOS 8+ update (also, because I got a sweet galaxy tab s 8.4). I would have expected these issues when I upgraded my 5 to iOS 7 because of the major changes. Also, is anyone else getting tired of the same old same?
My issues include apps not opening as quickly as previously (not just one second, but several), third party calendar notifications don't work, only native calendar and reminder(which is an unnecessary work around I had to discover after ending up late for an appointment), constant issues with third party keyboards, both Swype and swift key, and probably the biggest issue is the inability to maintain a WIFI connection. I've annoyingly tried restoring from iTunes and all the other lame suggestions Apple and other forums have.

hollyfielding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ever since I did the update I have noticed a problem with touch screen being sluggish too. I have an IPad air 1. Also, has anyone noticed that YouTube and Vimeo videos no longer have sound through the Facebook app? I did have sound before the update. I have tried doing a restore with no luck. Any ideas?

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I came this close >< to ordering a Galaxy Pro 12.5 yesterday. Got wishy washy and they sold the deal out. Probably won't wait the next time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
IOS 8 is actually a much more radical change than iOS 7. Sure, iOS 7 looked a lot different, but what you could do with it wasn't much more than what you could do with iOS 6.

Think of iOS 7 as a new paint job, re-upholstering, and nice hubcaps. IOS 8, on the other hand, is a new engine and transmission, plus some interesting new navigation electronics.

If it doesn't seem like much of an improvement yet, it's because only a few apps have started to experiment with it's potential.

There have been more problems than anyone likes, but it isn't just simple screwing up. They tried to do more than they could handle. Hopefully they will either beef up their quality control or be 'slightly' less ambitious next version.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IOS 8 is actually a much more radical change than iOS 7. Sure, iOS 7 looked a lot different, but what you could do with it wasn't much more than what you could do with iOS 6.

Think of iOS 7 as a new paint job, re-upholstering, and nice hubcaps. IOS 8, on the other hand, is a new engine and transmission, plus some interesting new navigation electronics.

If it doesn't seem like much of an improvement yet, it's because only a few apps have started to experiment with it's potential.

There have been more problems than anyone likes, but it isn't just simple screwing up. They tried to do more than they could handle. Hopefully they will either beef up their quality control or be 'slightly' less ambitious next version.

Blimey, TP, Are you still up?
IOS 8 has had its glitches but I it is still streets ahead of Microsoft. I for one will not be investing in any Microsoft gear in the future unless there is massive improvement. Every time I log on to my PC, there is some update or issue. It seems never ending, not to mention when AV and scanning take place. It may be that I should adjust settings etc. but I should not have to do this each time. Microsoft v Apple, like a non-league side playing Barcelona. Give me Apple any time even with the odd hiccup. The hiccups are nothing compared with the whooping cough of Microsoft.
Just my humble opinion.
Mike

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Blimey, TP, Are you still up?

Not for much longer. Shower and bed right after this post. :)

IOS 8 has had its glitches but I it is still streets ahead of Microsoft. I for one will not be investing in any Microsoft gear in the future unless there is massive improvement. Every time I log on to my PC, there is some update or issue. It seems never ending, not to mention when AV and scanning take place. It may be that I should adjust settings etc. but I should not have to do this each time. Microsoft v Apple, like a non-league side playing Barcelona. Give me Apple any time even with the odd hiccup. The hiccups are nothing compared with the whooping cough of Microsoft.
Just my humble opinion.
Mike

It's been seven years since I've used Windows, except to trouble shoot Mom's Windows 7 laptop. I no longer have the experience to make informed comparisons between it and OS X, or iOS. But I do love my Apple toys. :)

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TP as always, I'm guessing you are close, but you don't put a new engine/transmission into something that you must know (beta) doesn't work. The wifi connection itself puts me back to Baghdad 12 years ago, Baghdad not Salisbury. All the advice on here is as always most welcome but for quite a lot of us this is a very big retrograde step and yes I have had the engineers check the wifi, it's still pushing out some very healthy figures. I'm not going to say I'm the expert, not even close, you know that but something I've used extensively for several years - something we now use and carry at work - is only 75% the machine it was a month ago.

Before anybody says go back to iOS 7 - you know that isn't right. If it don't work don't push it out! Mine freezes 10 times a day - mine dumps me out of things it thinks are too difficult - it gets hot, I can no longer FaceTime my family all over the world because it says Poor Connection - it's never done that before. The list could go on - I went into my nearest Apple shop (60 miles away) to show and discuss this - guess what, after demonstrating everything the very attractive and savvy lady said - perhaps it's time sir your iPad 3 retina screen 64Gb cellular wifi needed replacing with our latest version!!!!! Hey that is inevitable one day but not on the strength of an update?

As always TP thank you for listening. You know I'm one of Apple's biggest fans but this one needs some serious tweaking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions