What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari - issues since iOS 8 still persist on 8.1

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You may have seen my thread on iOS 8... And my "wow, just wow" thread on my brand new Air 2 64gb :D I mention them for reference so that you know I really am not a moaner - just want to discuss things...

Well here is another to ask about Safari...

For quite some time I persisted with Dolphin browser for iPad - largely because I like the left hand side bookmark bar. So when Apple announced Safari would include a similar option (which is still not perfect, mind you - IMO it should disappear when you click a bookmark) I started trying Safari as my browser & moved my bookmarks across over a month or so of use.

Under 7.1.2 (if I remember the number correctly) the browser was pretty good & I came to like it and adopted it almost exclusively.

When the update came to 8.0 - yes there were some glitches. These persisted through 8.1 as well on my iPad 3.

So, when my new Air 2 arrived - brand new, out of the box, shipped with 8.1 - I expected Safari to be "fixed". But it isn't :(

The issues I experience are mainly a glitchy text field select function. Sometimes despite the tap being in the correct place, it just isn't correctly placed.

Second, on another FF forum (where I am an Administrator) when editing or working on text fields, the text options that normally appear when tapping sometimes don't - things like "copy, select, paste" etc. A long press will normally get them to appear - if I get the timing correct.

Third, I still cannot get the extensions to stay in place - 1Password repeatedly moves back to the end of the list despite my moving it to the front.

Finally - and most annoyingly - sometimes Safari just freezes and it needs a "swipe away" to get it to work again.

I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these things or if any of the "Apple connected" staff here know if there is going to be a fix for these issues by Apple any time soon?

Cheers all.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my personal opinion is - there are still glitches in iOS 8.1.

I, too, experience all the issues you mention [on my iPad Air 1]. The most annoying one is the inability for the iPad to keep icons where you place them (such as that 1Password icon you mentioned). And it's iPad-wide, not just in Safari.

So, I'm of no help to you; sorry. I just wanted to post to tell you that you are not alone.

And, I hope that there are fixes in the works for all these issues...

Marilyn

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn - it is reassuring to know that I am not alone! :)

I also feel confident that 8.2 or 8.1.1 or whatever it ends up being called will resolve these gremlins... hopefully.

I also owe you a vote of thanks for all the advice and guidance you provided 2+ years ago when I was originally considering the change. Much appreciated and as you can see, your time was not wasted.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, safari has been pretty good for me but it always feels like it could be better. I also experience weirdness from time to time that's hard to reproduce and explain. I just want apple to fix it and make it awesome.

Browsing is probably far and away the single most widely use feature of any tablet so they have to get it right.

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yep, certain forums when posting the back button will cause the freeze up problem. Then you loose every thing you type. Very frustrating. The glitch in this forum seemed to have disappeared. But who knows for how long.

Most reactions

Latest posts