What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 or jailbroken 4.3.3?

Gubi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FOR IPAD2:

As you all know, iOS 5 is due to be revealed pretty soon (with an estimated release date a few months later) as is the 4.3 jailbreak. iOS 5 will include a revamped notification system, as well as widgets. The 4.3 jailbreak will include all of the goodies that jailbreaks usually come with. My question is: what will you choose to use?

(this is estimating that a 5.0 jailbreak may take around 3 to 4 weeks)

Personally, I'm on the fence.

*Post edited to correct some misinformation.

Last edited:

AtaRobert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't like jail breaking since it's against Apples rules so I will never do it,

Petes92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using an iPad 2 and am dying without the jailbreak. I will definitely hold off on iOS 5.0 so I can get the free apps I've been longing for and all those jailbreak apps/hacks that really complete the iPad. I'll probably update my mom's iPhone though to test out the new features on iOS 5.

AtaRobert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Petes92 said:
I'm using an iPad 2 and am dying without the jailbreak. I will definitely hold off on iOS 5.0 so I can get the free apps I've been longing for and all those jailbreak apps/hacks that really complete the iPad. I'll probably update my mom's iPhone though to test out the new features on iOS 5.

I just don't get customizing with a jailbreak Apple ban it for a reason I just dont see any point.

nelson8403

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it depends on what iOS 5 brings to the table, and if a jailbreak is even out for 4.3 yet..

I've been waiting for a jailbreak for 4.3 for so long I wouldn't upgrade if there was a chance it wouldn't work on 5.0 but I'm sure eventually once they successfully jailbreak the iPad 2 5.0 shouldn't be too far away

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually at this time 4.3 is the only guarantee for the jailbrake and once that is out they will work on 4.3.3. I'll hold off on updating to iOS 5 until there is a jailbrake out for it.

I just don't get customizing with a jailbreak Apple ban it for a reason I just don’t see any point.

It's not for everyone but there are a lot of cool tweaks and other applications you can get (some are pay & some are free) through Cydia. Apple is very controlling and if there is something they don't like about an app they don't have to let it into the app store but the developer can then take it to the Cydia store :)

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There was a time when I was tweaking my PC to get every last bit of perceived performance out of it. Overclocked the CPU, experimented with different memory, swapped out controller cards or replaced a harddisk for one that had higher rpms or a shorter access time... And you know what, at the end of the day I introduced more problems to my system than I solved. And quite frankly, reading my e-mail still took just as long even if it was displayed on my monitor a millisecond faster.

The iPad does 95% of what I want it to do straight out of the box. I ain't gonna rock the boat (anymore). :)

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't like jail breaking since it's against Apples rules so I will never do it,

sorry but why are you posting in the hacking section again? i dont mean this as an insult, but if you're going to take that stand you'll be posting this in nearly every thread here.

more on topic, i think it all depends on what iOS 5 is. as an ipad 2 owner, i really do have to choose between the two, and that's the best case scenario lol.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 5 will include a revamped notification system, as well as widgets.

I'm sorry, are you an Apple insider or something? Because I stay on top of tech news closer than most others and I have read absolutely nothing about iOS5. Also, iOS5 is not going to launch "soon". It will come out with the release of either the next iPhone or iPad, which is what Apple ALWAYS does for major revisions.

Lakerfanalways

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually at this time 4.3 is the only guarantee for the jailbrake and once that is out they will work on 4.3.3. I'll hold off on updating to iOS 5 until there is a jailbrake out for it.

I just don't get customizing with a jailbreak Apple ban it for a reason I just don’t see any point.

It's not for everyone but there are a lot of cool tweaks and other applications you can get (some are pay & some are free) through Cydia. Apple is very controlling and if there is something they don't like about an app they don't have to let it into the app store but the developer can then take it to the Cydia store :)

I SO hope that they work on 4.3.3 once the 4.3 jailbreak becomes available. Those with 4.3 should have first dibs at it since you guys have been waiting forever for it to be released..I just hope that your right and they do work on 4.3.3 :) IOS 5 I will hold off on upgrading to that as well til a jailbreak becomes available

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
I'm sorry, are you an Apple insider or something? Because I stay on top of tech news closer than most others and I have read absolutely nothing about iOS5. Also, iOS5 is not going to launch "soon". It will come out with the release of either the next iPhone or iPad, which is what Apple ALWAYS does for major revisions.

You may read news sites but those aren't going to give you rumors/new info. Whereas macrumors and tuaw have been announcing iOS 5 feature rumors for many months now. iOS is going to be announced on Monday.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Geeezz. You take one night off :)

WOW. This thread is full of misinformation and is completely misleading to members who may read it without decent knowledge of the iPad and jailbreaking. Please try and remember when you are creating or contributing to threads there are 2 iPad models. This thread seems to relate to the iPad2 but there is no mention of it by the OP.

The upcoming jailbreak for iPad2 WILL NOT be 4.3.3 from what we have been told (thanks to bile and Chronic Dev Team). The only confirmation we have is that it will be 4.3. Unless a new exploit is found and under development in utter secrecy, then that's the best you can hope for. 4.3 support ONLY.

IOS5 will be announced on Monday. It will not be released for a while after that. Apple relies on it's app developer community and ecosystem. Developers have not even seen a beta of IOS5 yet. The SDK is likely what will be announced on Monday. From there it will usually go through several beta iterations before it gets close to a GM ready for public release. Unless there is a radically different approach to this major IOS version I would not expect it to be released for a month or two yet.

Also, the release of IOS5 does NOT have to be tied to the release of any particular piece of new hardware. It may well be, we don't know, but there is nothing set in stone that says it must be.

Also, all the n00b posters here should read the rules in my sig. We have a zero tolerance for pirates here. You don't impress me by saying you can't wait to jailbreak so you can get all your apps for free. That's not what jailbreaking is about. If you don't agree, fine, but you don't get to talk about it on here... That's as friendly as my warnings get on this subject.

OP
G

Gubi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Geeezz. You take one night off :)

WOW. This thread is full of misinformation and is completely misleading to members who may read it without decent knowledge of the iPad and jailbreaking. Please try and remember when you are creating or contributing to threads there are 2 iPad models. This thread seems to relate to the iPad2 but there is no mention of it by the OP.

The upcoming jailbreak for iPad2 WILL NOT be 4.3.3 from what we have been told (thanks to bile and Chronic Dev Team). The only confirmation we have is that it will be 4.3. Unless a new exploit is found and under development in utter secrecy, then that's the best you can hope for. 4.3 support ONLY.

IOS5 will be announced on Monday. It will not be released for a while after that. Apple relies on it's app developer community and ecosystem. Developers have not even seen a beta of IOS5 yet. The SDK is likely what will be announced on Monday. From there it will usually go through several beta iterations before it gets close to a GM ready for public release. Unless there is a radically different approach to this major IOS version I would not expect it to be released for a month or two yet.

Also, the release of IOS5 does NOT have to be tied to the release of any particular piece of new hardware. It may well be, we don't know, but there is nothing set in stone that says it must be.

Also, all the n00b posters here should read the rules in my sig. We have a zero tolerance for pirates here. You don't impress me by saying you can't wait to jailbreak so you can get all your apps for free. That's not what jailbreaking is about. If you don't agree, fine, but you don't get to talk about it on here... That's as friendly as my warnings get on this subject.

Thanks for correcting me. I apologize for any misinformation given in my post and have adjusted it accordingly.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just don't get customizing with a jailbreak Apple ban it for a reason I just don't see any point.

Oh, I agree, Jailbreaking is bad, bad, bad. I mean, what would Jesus say and lest we forget, John 3:16? Who will save the children? I ain't going to iJail for my iPad, just because I wanted to change the icons and such. If Apple says no, well it must be bad.

I think it must immediately stop before we all burn in the everlasting fires of everlasting hell, and forced for all eternity to use Newtons.

And not those wondrous figgy splendors we grew up with, either.

Besides, Mr. Jobs worked so hard at bringing us yet another device tied to a single source for every iPossible iThing and iEvery iApp from iApple.

The music from iTunes is simply better than the music from some Android source. Apple adds things, secret things, that actually makes the music sound insanely greater. iRap never felt as insanely good or tasted as insanely sweet as it does when it is from the insane people at Apple.

I mean insanely great people at Apple.

Besides, it would just break his little warm heart to learn just how many otherwise decent citizens of the world do not like something he ordained to be insanely great. Jailbreaking is a slap in the face of God's chosen technology company. So just say no to jailbreaking; I spit on Cydia.;)

By the way, my "Whitey Ford Sings The Blues" CDs just arrived with Motorhead, and I think Everlast talks about Jailbreaking the iPad in his song, "What's its Like."

I only wish that Big Daddy Ed Roth were alive to paint my iPad. Flames and pin striping by hand rules. Then again, painting the pristine surface of any iDevice is not allowed by Apple because it defiles his vision.

Bob

Most reactions

Latest posts