What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMessage

ChrissyE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
imessage seems to be great, but somehow there are 2 or 3 of my contacts who don't receive my imessage texts to them, unless they are on wifi - they dont go through as texts. How do I change this? When I send them a text I want them to get it instantly, whereever they are! Imessage is a great option when we are both in wifi range, but shouldnt it just convert to text when we aren't?? Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the iPad, iMessage is not the same as text. There is no stock text service to switch iMessages to when no signal is available as the iPad is not like the iPhone. The iPad does not have texting service.

So, your message will not convert to SMS/MMS in order to send outside of the iMessage system. Sorry, but that's one of the limitations of the iPad - no standard texting abilities.

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ChrissyE said:
What about on the iPhone?

There is SMS messaging on the iPhone, which automatically switches between iMessage and SMS messaging depending on whether there is a wifi signal or not.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, it's a 'data' connection iMessage uses, so 4G, 3G, 2G etc. as well as wifi. SMS kicks in on the iPhone when no suitable data route is available, provided iMessage is set up to use the phone number.

ChrissyE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you this is very helpful. Can you please elaborate on "providing imessage is set up to use the phone number". I am now thinking this is the problem, as my texts to my husband come through on his phone as coming from my email address. ???

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you this is very helpful. Can you please elaborate on "providing imessage is set up to use the phone number". I am now thinking this is the problem, as my texts to my husband come through on his phone as coming from my email address. ???

If you are using an iPad to send iMessages, your "Reply" address will be your e-mail address (as the iPad can't/doesn't have a phone number). The iPhone, on the other hand, can show the "reply" as being their phone number or an e-mail address (should they choose to have one).

If I remember correctly, when iMessage is turned on for the phone, it defaults to using the phone number and you have to add an e-mail address as extra if you wish. With the iPad, iMessage won't work without an e-mail address. Again, this is if the phone has been set up to use iMessage. You can, however, have the phone show an e-mail address as the "reply to" address. I do this so that any iMessage I send from the phone will be sent back to the e-mail address. This allows me to see the iMessage on my iPad also.

All that to say that what you are seeing is correct - a message from you and your iPad should show up on your husband's phone with an e-mail address to reply to.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts