What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is iMessage supposed to work on iPad 1?

Idealist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1, and tried to use iMessage to my own iPhone. It doesn't work.

Even though I put in the correct number, fill in the "subject" and "text" fields, the "send" button is greyed out.

Both devices are on the same wifi network, and both also have 3G access.

Both have the latest software (March 2012)

iMessage IS enabled.

Any ideas?
Mike

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi idealist...have you tried to put the phone number in without the 1 in the front?

Also, on your iPhone, make sure that it is set to receive under your phone number. Go to iPad settings/imessage and see where the designation is to "receive at." Check to see what your settings are and re-test. Let us know if it works.

Also:
Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad (original-New), Acessories, Apps, Help, and Apple News.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
Regional iPad Groups

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0 and 5.1:
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5 by Apple Inc.
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5.1 by Apple Inc.

Finally, please read the rules!
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

AnonymousNoOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes it does work for iPad one, It's really a e-mail in text format. So make sure you use two different e-mail address.
  ☣ ☣

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have sent iMessages to friends using their phone numbers rather than their email. However, if for some reason the phone number does not work, you can also add an alternate email to receive.

OP
I

Idealist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi idealist...have you tried to put the phone number in without the 1 in the front?

Dunno what this means. But I just tried putting in my mobile number on the iPad via my contacts, and it says "[number]" is not registered with imessage(?) It offers either "remove" for the number, or to use my email address. Not what I want to do.

[Also, on your iPhone, make sure that it is set to receive under your phone number. Go to iPad settings/imessage and see where the designation is to "receive at." Check to see what your settings are and re-test. Let us know if it works.]

On the ipad, the settings say to receive at my email address. I can add another email, but there is nowhere I can see to add my phone number.

When I look at my phone, it says "You can be reached for messages at:

Please no personal info on posts: moderator removed info...

Last edited by a moderator:

AnonymousNoOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure both iMessage accounts have different e-mail address. Try that let me know ok βཞℴ .   ☣ ☣

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Dunno what this means. But I just tried putting in my mobile number on the iPad via my contacts, and it says "[number]" is not registered with imessage(?) It offers either "remove" for the number, or to use my email address. Not what I want to do.

[Also, on your iPhone, make sure that it is set to receive under your phone number. Go to iPad settings/imessage and see where the designation is to "receive at." Check to see what your settings are and re-test. Let us know if it works.]

On the ipad, the settings say to receive at my email address. I can add another email, but there is nowhere I can see to add my phone number.

I noticed you had double digits in front of the first 3 digits of your phone number. Try just putting the main number in on your iPad. Also, verify that the number is the correct number to receive on your iPhone. You need to check your phone settings.

If that does not work, just for a test, use an alternate email as a secondary on your phone and see if that works.

OP
I

Idealist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure both iMessage accounts have different e-mail address. Try that let me know ok βཞℴ .   ☣ ☣

Neither device will accept another email address.

Both are showing the same email address, which is my apple ID. I cannot delete that address from either device.

Please Forget it. I really DO have better things to do than fight with half-baked technology, even if it IS from Apple...

Thanks all, for your messages of assistance... :)

best regards,
:)
Mike

OP
I

Idealist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed you had double digits in front of the first 3 digits of your phone number. Try just putting the main number in on your iPad. Also, verify that the number is the correct number to receive on your iPhone. You need to check your phone settings.

The phone number in the contacts lists on the ipad and iphone does not contain the "+61" code. That was put there by imessage.(?) The number is certainly correct.

If that does not work, just for a test, use an alternate email as a secondary on your phone and see if that works.

Neither device will accept another email address, nor allow me to delete the one which is there, which is my apple ID.

Sorry guys, (and girls(?)) thanks for your help, but I'm OVER it...

Going to watch TV...

AnonymousNoOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can delete the e-mail address go to setting for iPad then iMessage. Receive at, you can be reached for messages at:
Then tap email, then tap remove this email.   ☣ ☣ ☢ ☢

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is frustrating for you. However, our directions is NOT to remove your iTunes email, but to "add another email."

See the pics for the steps...press the "receive at button" to get to the next slide.

image-2855579944.jpg

image-3475477100.jpg

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

The "1" is the international prefix for the United States and Canada. Skimonkey didn't realize you are in Oz, where your prefix is +61. Here, in North America, it is normal to quote your number in 11 digit form starting with 1, whereas in other countries, only the local number is used.

Can't help with the actual question, since I don't have a data plan for my Ipad. I just use my email address to send and receive iMessages on the iPad, although I use my phone number to do it on the iPhone. Both work OK.

OP
I

Idealist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, thank you. :)

I have success. I was able to send a text message to my phone, using the email address, after I added an alternate email address to both devices.

It came up as an SMS on the phone, even though it had to be addressed to my normal email address in order to work.

I don't understand it, but it seems to work, so I'm not going to complain any more.

Thank you for your patience, with a fairly thick 64 year old pensioner without a clue... :)

I take it this means I can SMS anybody with an iXXX who has iMessage set up, by sending to their email address, not their phone number, yes?

best regards,
:)
Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts