What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I update to 5.1...

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I decide to update my jailbroken ipad 2 to 5.1:

1. Will all the tweaks I purchased from Cydia be saved?
2. Will I still be able to take advantage of JB once it is capable on 5.1
3. Will I have any issues after updating? (crashes, incompatibilities with apps, etc?)
4. Will I lose any data (documents created in Pages, Notepad, etc?
5. Will I have to reset everything up on my ipad (folders, wallpaper, settings, etc?

Reason I ask all these questions is because there are several apps I want to update to that require 5.1...and whether I update now to use the apps or wait until a JB has been created, I am assuming I will have to reset everything up (settings, tweaks, etc)...

I have read all the JB threads but I'm not really clear on these questions...thank you!

Confucioux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If u Update to 5.1 ur iPad will be fully restored, therefore u will lose all ur cydia tweaks/apps. In addition, u won't be able to re-jailbreak it until dev-team will come out with one, which might take a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF 

Confucioux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mata7 said:
lol you mean a couple month?

No, I mean a couple weeks. Jailbreak for A4 processors was out the first day, shouldn't take them too long for A5.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I mean a couple weeks. Jailbreak for A4 processors was out the first day, shouldn't take them too long for A5.

Both A5 jailbreaks have taken several months to develop. It will be at least that long for 5.1 on A5 devices IMHO. The A4 processor is pwned for life due to an exploit in the bootrom. That's why it is trivial to produce a tethered jailbreak for any new version of IOS on A4.
A5 devices have a great deal more protection around the bootrom. The A5 has been in the wild for a year now and no workable bootrom exploit is known. Userland jailbreaks of the type required for the iPad2 are extremely complex and require months of effort.

OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score

3. Will I have any issues after updating? (crashes, incompatibilities with apps, etc?)
5. Will I have to reset everything up on my ipad (folders, wallpaper, settings, etc?

Reason I ask all these questions is because there are several apps I want to update to that require 5.1...and whether I update now to use the apps or wait until a JB has been created, I am assuming I will have to reset everything up (settings, tweaks, etc)...

I have read all the JB threads but I'm not really clear on these questions...thank you!

Thanks for the replies everyone but I was wondering if anyone could answer the 5 questions I posted? I am mainly worried about 1, 3, 4...I understand that my Cydia tweaks will be gone from my iPad but will they be saved on Cydia for me to use on the next JB? Especially the paid ones...

Thanks

MIKES3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fantastic post. I was wondering about all this. I'm glad I checked before a repost occurred

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

OK, first off you cannot update a jailbroken device. You can only restore to 5.1. The update process is a complex upgrade from one version of IOS to another and there is no way Apple can do that reliably for a jailbroken device (it's challenging enough for a stock device). So your only option is to restore to 5.1.

1. Depends what you mean. The restore wipes the device so everything is gone. However, just the like the App Store, everything you have purchased on Cydia is yours for life. If you jailbreak again in the future you can install all your purchases again without charge. There is a "My Account" section on the Cydia Home Page where you can see all the stuff you own. If you mean can you backup all your JB apps, tweaks, and settings, then yes, but it does not happen automatically. My favourite way to do it is to use PkgBackup, but there are other options. See our guide here for more info - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...p-safeguard-your-jailbreak-apps-settings.html
2. Yes. If your device is running 5.1 when a 5.1 jailbreak is released, you will be able to install it.
3. As I said, you can't update. What you will do is restore IOS 5.1 and then optionally restore your iTunes/iCloud backup. Make sure you take a backup just before you restore your device to 5.1 and then in theory you should have all your non-jailbreak stuff back just as you would expect. Only your jailbreak stuff will be missing (as expected). I can't really comment on whether you will have issues. That's really all down to Apples skill in the backup / restore area, but most folks don't experience problems. I've done it probably >50 times and only had a couple of issues.
4. You will only "lose" data if you don't back it up before you start and then choose to restore it once IOS 5.1 is installed. If you are using iCloud it asks you if you want to restore your last backup when you initialise the iPad on 5.1. If you are using iTunes for backup, you can choose to restore your last backup when you connect the iPad to it the first time after it is initialised.
5. You will have to re-set your folders etc. IF you are currently using jailbreak tweaks to change the layout of your springboard. Again, if you choose to use jailbreak tweaks to change the way your springboard looks or operates, you can't expect Apple to magically support that, so if you un-jailbeak you need to expect that stuff will be back to normal and you may need to re-arrange stuff according to "stock" rules rather than jailbreak ones.

Just remember, if you go to 5.1 you cant come back to 5.0.1 as things stand. It could be a very long wait (months at least) for a new iPad2 JB, but of course the choice is yours. Only you know whether you need the features of the new apps more than you need your JB tweaks.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, first off you cannot update a jailbroken device. You can only restore to 5.1. The update process is a complex upgrade from one version of IOS to another and there is no way Apple can do that reliably for a jailbroken device (it's challenging enough for a stock device). So your only option is to restore to 5.1.

1. Depends what you mean. The restore wipes the device so everything is gone. However, just the like the App Store, everything you have purchased on Cydia is yours for life. If you jailbreak again in the future you can install all your purchases again without charge. There is a "My Account" section on the Cydia Home Page where you can see all the stuff you own. If you mean can you backup all your JB apps, tweaks, and settings, then yes, but it does not happen automatically. My favourite way to do it is to use PkgBackup, but there are other options. See our guide here for more info - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...p-safeguard-your-jailbreak-apps-settings.html
2. Yes. If your device is running 5.1 when a 5.1 jailbreak is released, you will be able to install it.
3. As I said, you can't update. What you will do is restore IOS 5.1 and then optionally restore your iTunes/iCloud backup. Make sure you take a backup just before you restore your device to 5.1 and then in theory you should have all your non-jailbreak stuff back just as you would expect. Only your jailbreak stuff will be missing (as expected). I can't really comment on whether you will have issues. That's really all down to Apples skill in the backup / restore area, but most folks don't experience problems. I've done it probably >50 times and only had a couple of issues.
4. You will only "lose" data if you don't back it up before you start and then choose to restore it once IOS 5.1 is installed. If you are using iCloud it asks you if you want to restore your last backup when you initialise the iPad on 5.1. If you are using iTunes for backup, you can choose to restore your last backup when you connect the iPad to it the first time after it is initialised.
5. You will have to re-set your folders etc. IF you are currently using jailbreak tweaks to change the layout of your springboard. Again, if you choose to use jailbreak tweaks to change the way your springboard looks or operates, you can't expect Apple to magically support that, so if you un-jailbeak you need to expect that stuff will be back to normal and you may need to re-arrange stuff according to "stock" rules rather than jailbreak ones.

Just remember, if you go to 5.1 you cant come back to 5.0.1 as things stand. It could be a very long wait (months at least) for a new iPad2 JB, but of course the choice is yours. Only you know whether you need the features of the new apps more than you need your JB tweaks.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the answers f4780y! As for update vs restore that is just me not knowing the vocabulary...I come from android and you can unroot your device without restoring everything (unless you are running a different rom other than stock)...

As for Cydia, you answered my question. I was worried I would have to purchase the tweaks again if I restored 5.1 then JB again when it was available.

OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yo be honest, the only real benefit I'm getting from JB is customizations like Barrel, folders on the dock, and increasing the number of dock icons. I didn't want to go crazy with tweaks & cause issues with my iPad. It's running perfectly now. However, the wait for JB is MUCH longer than it would be on Android. Plus having root on android never really causes you to not being able to use any of the MAIN apps (there are exceptions but most of those apps aren't main word processing or photo apps)....it's a tough decision between JB or not. Thanks for all your help!

BartuHTC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Both A5 jailbreaks have taken several months to develop. It will be at least that long for 5.1 on A5 devices IMHO. The A4 processor is pwned for life due to an exploit in the bootrom. That's why it is trivial to produce a tethered jailbreak for any new version of IOS on A4.
A5 devices have a great deal more protection around the bootrom. The A5 has been in the wild for a year now and no workable bootrom exploit is known. Userland jailbreaks of the type required for the iPad2 are extremely complex and require months of effort.

Oh God, you just destroyed me.
Months? I wanna die. :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And - to add salt to the wound - that's past history ... that it took months. It's like the stock market: past performance is no indication of future performance. No one knows if there will EVER be another jail break, let alone how quick it will appear.

Don't get me wrong - I'm hoping for a [quick] jailbreak myself (my new iPad will be AWESOME as a JB'd device!). But, all we can advocate is lots of patience and hope. And patience. And patience...

Just so you know ... :)

Marilyn

BartuHTC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
And - to add salt to the wound - that's past history ... that it took months. It's like the stock market: past performance is no indication of future performance. No one knows if there will EVER be another jail break, let alone how quick it will appear.

Don't get me wrong - I'm hoping for a [quick] jailbreak myself (my new iPad will be AWESOME as a JB'd device!). But, all we can advocate is lots of patience and hope. And patience. And patience...

Just so you know ... :)

Marilyn

You do realize that every word you say feels like apple stabbing me lol :D
Still I'm hoping for the best. Cause they said there'll be no jb for ios5 but I just screwed cydia up couple days ago, so I'll wait. Or buy ipad 1 :)

Most reactions

Latest posts