What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

prevent update to 5.1

ztorque

iPF Noob
Reaction score
App updates continue as normal, it just stops the 'over the air' update for the firmware. Be careful connecting the iPad to iTunes too, as this will still prompt for download/install of new firmware version.

even if you install no updates from cydia, if you sync with itunes will it try to update by itself?

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fooey... I don't think I have that installed, or want to. But to be fair, is it a safe app for installation now? I did put it on the iPhone in the beginning, but haven't given it much thought of fiddling since.

Winterboard is safe. It's just a toggle app for Winterboard themes and other apps like Badge Remore

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
even if you install no updates from cydia, if you sync with itunes will it try to update by itself?

The good news is that you can stop iTunes from harassing you about an newer (!), improved (!) version of the iOS Every. Time. You. Plug. It. In (can you tell it used to irritate me? :) ).

When you plug the jail broken iPad into iTunes and get that pop-up notice, you'll see that there is a teeny-tiny box in that pop-up - check it to tell iTunes not to give you that pop-up again. It'll still show on the main About tab, in iTunes, that your iPad needs updating, but it would take a conscious act to press that "Restore" button versu absentmindedly pressing an "OK" in a pop-up.

Do note that the pop-up will reappear when/if you load a new version of iTunes. Just repeat the checking of the box step...

Marilyn

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Redneck_Randy said:
The Badge Remover toggle is in Winterboard

I do have Winterboard installed after all, and have set the Badge Remover toggle to on, but still have the settings icon badge and others. It seems to not actually be working. Is there something else that has to be done to activate Winterboard theme controls otherwise?

[[ EDIT ]] There are two of these apps "Badge Remover" (the one I have, and the one that toggles through Winterboard) and "BadgeRemover" (no space), which does not indicate how it is controlled/toggled, if it can be. I have not installed it. I have however, sent a message to the app developer of the other one indicating my problem. AND... there is a paid app: "Badge Clear" 0.99, that might be worth the try. Sill, I'm being very cautious with apps I install now. I'm sure I don't have to say why!

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure why it's not working for you. Maybe a hard reset or a respring.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Redneck_Randy said:
Not sure why it's not working for you. Maybe a hard reset or a respring.

I got it. I think I missed the "Respring" button at the top of the Winterboard theme console the first time around. Better write back to the developers and let them know of my folly. Thanks.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

ztorque

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The good news is that you can stop iTunes from harassing you about an newer (!), improved (!) version of the iOS Every. Time. You. Plug. It. In (can you tell it used to irritate me? :) ).

When you plug the jail broken iPad into iTunes and get that pop-up notice, you'll see that there is a teeny-tiny box in that pop-up - check it to tell iTunes not to give you that pop-up again. It'll still show on the main About tab, in iTunes, that your iPad needs updating, but it would take a conscious act to press that "Restore" button versu absentmindedly pressing an "OK" in a pop-up.

Do note that the pop-up will reappear when/if you load a new version of iTunes. Just repeat the checking of the box step...

Marilyn

Thanks for the advice

barefootpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Despite having the 'no update' tweak installed and running ok, I received a notification today that iOS 5.1 is available, and now have the red badge in my settings app.

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
barefootpilot said:
Despite having the 'no update' tweak installed and running ok, I received a notification today that iOS 5.1 is available, and now have the red badge in my settings app.

yess .. it happened to me as well ... "no update" did not block the notification .. it just blocked the update .. but there is a "Badgeremover" tweak that will remove the red badge .. it worked like a charm removing the red badge on my ipad, iphone and ipod

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
read that if you ipad 2 is jailbroken, it won't update anyway.... true?

barefootpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Tried bagde remover but didn't like that it removed all the badges. Most of these I find useful. There's a tweak for noOTA badge only, has anyone tried that?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I put the tweak "noOTA badge" on my iPhone yesterday (because I, too, got the update pushed to me, though No Update stopped it from installing). Took the badge right off.

And, as of this writing, I still don't have the badge on the Settings (although the download still shows in my Settings app). So, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work for the iPad.

Marilyn

P.S. Sorry, but my jail broken iPad1 is no more as I restored it to give to my sister...that's why I can't check it.

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed the "noOTA badge" .. it worked on my ipad2 .. and it only killed the setting app's badge

Ps : time to get yrself "the new ipad", marilyn ?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I have the "new iPad"! Couldn't resist the upgrade from the one to the three - even if it meant losing the jail break. But, I figured I still have the iPhone to satisfy that JB urge ...for now. :D

It's why you'll see me now haunting this iPad3 jail break thread here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=68050 (with my "patience cap" firmly fastened).

Marilyn

Most reactions