What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

prevent update to 5.1

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I'm having a problem - on my iPhone, which just this morning showed the update available message" with the "No Update" app already installed. When I open "Settings" the "No Update" loads and goes through its check... but when it says "working like a charm," it stays with that message on the screen and I can not access any of the "Settings functions or screens. The only thing I can do is cancel what's showing with the home button. I have yet to try a respring, reboot, or reset.

More here if I find anything.

[[ EDIT ]] OK.. we're good! A reboot let the No Update app continue past the "working like a charm" message, and then back into Settings. Whew!

Last edited:

CyborgX_CZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to remove downloaded update 5.1 from my iPad (red badge in settings - downloaded but not installed) or do I need to do hard reset and than jailbreak and install application prevent future downloads? Thank you so much for any help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any way to remove downloaded update 5.1 from my iPad (red badge in settings - downloaded but not installed) or do I need to do hard reset and than jailbreak and install application prevent future downloads? Thank you so much for any help.

As far as I know, no, there is no way to remove the download once it's on the iPad. But, the "No Update" does stop it from installing - so that's a good thing about that.

If you are jail broke on iOS 5.0.1, the last thing you want to do is mess with re-jail breaking. In fact, you won't be able to. So, just use the No Update tweak to prevent the installation. And, if it bothers you, the tweak "noOTA badge" can be installed (from Cydia) and that will take the red badge off your Settings app (AFAIK, there is no way to remove the gray circled number within the Settings app itself).

Marilyn

CyborgX_CZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for fast answer… well I’m not jail broke yet I just got the ipod last night so there is nothing installed either. I know about jail break for iphone but didn’t know ipad can be done as well if I know better I will not allow connecting to my wifi. But back to my question, if I’m not jail broke and I do hard reset to factory setting and then not to connect to my network until I jail broke my ipad is this will take care of my problem or not?

CyborgX_CZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK so it works I did reset to factory, and update was gone than I turn off everything jailbreak my iPod with Absinthe and I’m ready to go:)

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about the iTunes update. I assume that I can updated that without effecting my JB on 5.01, correct?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can update iTunes to the latest version - which is v10.6 as of this writing.

Works fine with my jail broke devices.

Marilyn

Most reactions