What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I will be annoyed if the iPad 3 is released this September.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know...I don't think Jobs wants to risk the iPad losing market at this point. The tablet market is really almost non-existent.

The tablet market is almost non-existent??

Global shipments of tablets are expected to top 60 million in 2011 alone. 40 million are expected to be iPads, a 60% share of the market. Right now now Apple owns 82% of the tablet market. Tablets are stealing market share from the netbook sector, and tablet growth is 150% per year.

I'd like to own some of that non-existent market.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tarkio said:

Global shipments of tablets are expected to top 60 million in 2011 alone. 40 million are expected to be iPads, a 60% share of the market. Right now now Apple owns 82% of the tablet market. Tablets are stealing market share from the netbook sector, and tablet growth is 150% per year.

Yes, almost non-existent. You're still talking projections and there is a huge amount of room for future growth....and the tablet market could still go bust. And you mention net books.....those were barely even a market and is rapidly dying off....as people realized if they needed a laptop a netbook was a poor replacement.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:

Yes, almost non-existent. You're still talking projections and there is a huge amount of room for future growth....and the tablet market could still go bust. And you mention net books.....those were barely even a market and is rapidly dying off....as people realized if they needed a laptop a netbook was a poor replacement.

Almost non-existent market?

Apple iPad Fastest-Selling Consumer Electronics Product in History - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD

"iPad: Fastest-selling consumer electronics product in history.

Apple (AAPL) sold three million iPads in the first 80 days following its April release. Since then, sales have ramped up to about 4.5 million units per quarter, according to Bernstein Research. That gives the device a sales rate that far eclipses that of the previous fastest-selling non-phone CE device–the DVD player, which sold just 350,000 units in its first year."

---
Apple Quarterly Profits Surpass Microsoft – iFans

"For the first time in 20 years, Microsoft’s quarterly profits have dipped below Apple’s. Microsoft reported $5.23 billion in net income this quarter, compared to their rivals $5.99 billion. Most of the credit goes to the iPad, which has made the once-promising netbook market nearly obsolete."
---
iPad Predicted To Dominate Tablet Market Through 2015: Gartner

"As for the tablet market overall, Gartner forecasts a veritable boom, with sales reaching 69,780,000 units in 2011, up from 17,610,000 units in 2010. The wave of success will continue through 2015, according to Gartner's figures, which peg tablet sales at 294,093,000 units by 2015."
---
Tablet market share statistics « TechnoCloud

"The overall market worldwide is 18 million in 2010 and predicted to rise to 70 million in 2011, 108 million in 2012 and a notable 294 million in 2015."

Please provide any credible sources that support your prediction that, "the tablet market could still go bust." Thanks.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok guys back on the topic lets be nice.

oh...that topic... :)

I don't see any way that Apple would refresh the iPad in September. That will be the timeframe that the new iPhone5 will be shipping, and iOS 5 will launch. Apple likes to spread out their launches of major device. And, it's been widely noted that the iPad2 was built for iOS 5 and will only blossom once it is released.

Also, iPad2s will still be in short supply through the summer. Why would Apple need to replace it before next March? No other Tablets are cutting into the iPad's 84% market share at this point. Next winter is when real competition will pick up, and Apple will want to scoop competition with a new iPad then.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tarkio said:

Almost non-existent market?

Apple iPad Fastest-Selling Consumer Electronics Product in History - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD

"iPad: Fastest-selling consumer electronics product in history.

Apple (AAPL) sold three million iPads in the first 80 days following its April release. Since then, sales have ramped up to about 4.5 million units per quarter, according to Bernstein Research. That gives the device a sales rate that far eclipses that of the previous fastest-selling non-phone CE device–the DVD player, which sold just 350,000 units in its first year."

---
Apple Quarterly Profits Surpass Microsoft – iFans

"For the first time in 20 years, Microsoft’s quarterly profits have dipped below Apple’s. Microsoft reported $5.23 billion in net income this quarter, compared to their rivals $5.99 billion. Most of the credit goes to the iPad, which has made the once-promising netbook market nearly obsolete."
---
iPad Predicted To Dominate Tablet Market Through 2015: Gartner

"As for the tablet market overall, Gartner forecasts a veritable boom, with sales reaching 69,780,000 units in 2011, up from 17,610,000 units in 2010. The wave of success will continue through 2015, according to Gartner's figures, which peg tablet sales at 294,093,000 units by 2015."
---
Tablet market share statistics « TechnoCloud

"The overall market worldwide is 18 million in 2010 and predicted to rise to 70 million in 2011, 108 million in 2012 and a notable 294 million in 2015."

Please provide any credible sources that support your prediction that, "the tablet market could still go bust." Thanks.

1) "the tablet market could still go bust." is not prediction. It's simply a statement of what could happen...

2) You quoted: "which has made the once-promising netbook market nearly obsolete." Netbooks were the rage not long ago...proof that even though a product seems promising, it could still fade from usage.

3) How fast a product categories grows says nothing about its longevity. Growth rate is not the same as penetration. Tablets of all types are still rare..and attitudes could change.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok guys back on the topic lets be nice.

oh...that topic... :)

I don't see any way that Apple would refresh the iPad in September. .

You are right. It is just a RUMOR. One that everyone falls for every time. Next spring, guys. Apple typically releases an upgrade as far as the iPad goes, a year later. NOT in the same year.

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All good, as always, sell the old device 1 month before the release of the new device, then buy the new one :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF.

jevans911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah, I'll be pretty hacked off if the iPad 3 comes out so soon after I bought my iPad2. I just got it a little over a month ago but would gave waited if I knew that the 3 would be out so soon....

Joe Evans

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not worried or concerned. I went from the original ipad to ipad 2 mainly because it was faster and it could run movie maker well. my interest in an ipad 3 would depend on what it offers. if if just retina display, that will not interest me one bit.
I am not a gamer so even more power at this point is not going to entice me. That ipad 3 would have to do some extremely awesome things to get me interested.

I suspect they will bump up the camera quality but that too is not going to do it for me. I don't find that I rely on the ipad to take pictures.

jevans911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Biggysmallz said:
I am not worried or concerned. I went from the original ipad to ipad 2 mainly because it was faster and it could run movie maker well. my interest in an ipad 3 would depend on what it offers. if if just retina display, that will not interest me one bit.
I am not a gamer so even more power at this point is not going to entice me. That ipad 3 would have to do some extremely awesome things to get me interested.

I suspect they will bump up the camera quality but that too is not going to do it for me. I don't find that I rely on the ipad to take pictures.

I think a higher definition display would be the main draw for me on an iPad 3

Joe

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today the apple insider along with Reuters and macrumors have all posted stories about the new iPad 3 thAts supposed to be coming in september. I thought this rumor was dead?! I just got my iPad 2 and I will be ub#####ed at apple if they do release a new iPad n a few months!

Yeah, I know what you mean. Auto manufacturers, for example, should not release new models until they can no longer sell the old ones.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today the apple insider along with Reuters and macrumors have all posted stories about the new iPad 3 thAts supposed to be coming in september. I thought this rumor was dead?! I just got my iPad 2 and I will be ub#####ed at apple if they do release a new iPad n a few months!

Yeah, I know what you mean. Auto manufacturers, for example, should not release new models until they can no longer sell the old ones.

Yes, but unlike older motor vehicles that are still popular and are sought after, when you trend up with technological gizmos, the older one is perceived as useless.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, but unlike older motor vehicles that are still popular and are sought after, when you trend up with technological gizmos, the older one is perceived as useless.

Uh, right...That's why there's such a hot market for 2009 Chevy's. The point is that if you're bound and determined to have the latest "technological gizmo" you'll find it to be a rather expensive obsession. An iPad3 will not reduce the functionality of an iPad2 one iota. The fact that it is no longer quite as powerful a status symbol is another issue.

Most reactions

Latest posts