What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer files from Android to iPad mini ?

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a iPad mini and an android mobile phone
I intend to transfer a video that is on Google Drive to the iPad but I have no option available on the iPad;
on the other way, PC has the option to download.
What can I do to overcome this?
Thank you very much

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the google drive app on my iPad, I can access the files but there is no option available to download them to the iPad

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try sending them to yourself (to the built in Mail app), and from there it should be possible to save them to the iPad.

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, to use something like yousendit; anyway it's a bit strange to use the 'old fashioned way' just because of an IOS/Windows/Andoid incompatibility.
I'll keep checking, maybe there's some good news.
Thank you very much!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In Google Drive, tap-hold on the video until it is selected. In the little floating bar that shows up tap on the tree dot icon, choose Share, then Save Video. This should save the video to your Photos app. You can also try the Open In option. If you have a compatible third party app it may show up there.

The Save Video option may not appear if the video format is not compatible with Photos.

For some reason none of this is currently working on my iPad Pro. Hopefully it is not broken on your iPad Mini.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my Google Drive app, it's not "Share", but "Send a copy" that shows Save Video afterwards.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In my Google Drive app, it's not "Share", but "Send a copy" that shows Save Video afterwards.

You're right. That's what I get for not double checking the menus.

It looks like Google Drive is waiting for files to download locally before it will act on a Save Image or Open In action. When I tried a smaller file, it worked (after a short a pause). I'm guessing I did not have the patience to wait out the video file when I tested I tested it. Still, if it's going to do this, some kind of download indicator would be comforting. Especially since the entire app freezes until it does it's thing.

Or is your's behaving better?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're right. That's what I get for not double checking the menus.

It looks like Google Drive is waiting for files to download locally before it will act on a Save Image or Open In action. When I tried a smaller file, it worked (after a short a pause). I'm guessing I did not have the patience to wait out the video file when I tested I tested it. Still, if it's going to do this, some kind of download indicator would be comforting. Especially since the entire app freezes until it does it's thing.

Or is your's behaving better?
At first, mine didn't react at all, and I thought it's not possible to get anything to another app. That's why I suggested sending the video via email, because that was possible.
It's working faster now. Perhaps because I've already opened the file in the Google Drive app.

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried and did not work, anyway I'm 'studying' this and as soon as I have something I'll share it with you (and, of course I'll keep checking!).
Thank you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
More things that did not work, but should have:

Using Google Drive in Safari. Download never completes.

Using Google Drive in VLC (a poppular video viewing app). Download seems to complete, but never shows in the library.

I'm beginning to think there are some real problems with both the Google Drive app and the extentions on iOS.

Something that works, but shouldn't be this complicated:

I did manage to download a video from Google Drive using the GoodReader app. This is a good app for doing miscelanious things with files when no other app will do the job. You can watch videos in it, but it is not optimized for video. Instead, it's a PDF annotation app with the ability to download/manage almost any file type, and view most standard formats.

I then used GoodReader's tools to open a copy of the file in VLC. This should work with almost any third party video viewing app, as long as that app is compatilbe with the file's format.

This results in a copy of the app in both GoodReader and VLC. If you don't want two copies on the iPad (which you probably don't) you need to then delete the copy in GoodReader.

There are bound to be other apps that work directly, but these are the only ones I have to play with at this time. If you decide to do this and can't figure out how (GoodReader is complex), then let me know and I'll do step by step instructions.

VLC is free (with optional in-app purchases)
GoodReader is not, but might be worth your money for the other things it does.

Last edited:
OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question, there are several apps for GoodReader and VLC , which one is the right ?

Most reactions

Latest posts