What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to load MP4 files to Mini?

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a lot of MP4 files on computer, phone (Android), thumb drives and external hard drives. This is the default save mode for a video-generation program that my brother uses to send familygrams.

Is there a way to load these on my Mini? A search here gives me "load" as the keyword and a lot of threads that don't seem to have anything to do with what I need.

Also, being new to the iPa(i)d, is there a way to have these run in the background while my GPS program runs? Either to switch back and forth, or just to have the audio running in the headphone jack while something else runs in the foreground?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can load all those files into your iTunes, then sync them over to the Mini. To me, that would be the easiest way. In addition, if you put all the files into iTunes, you will have one central place where they all are.

Just an idea...

Marilyn

OP
S

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can load all those files into your iTunes, then sync them over to the Mini. To me, that would be the easiest way. In addition, if you put all the files into iTunes, you will have one central place where they all are.

Oh, okay. Like I said, I'm brand new at this, and I had thought that iTunes went through the online market, I didn't know that it would work with homegrown MP4s.

And can you tell me about running the MP4s in the background?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, forgot that part. But, if you are running those MP4 files (music or video) through the default Music or Video apps, then they can play in the background while you go on to something else. I believe the videos will play - I'm not sure since I don't have any videos on my iPad to test. But, pretty sure. :)

Marilyn

EDIT TO ADD: You can add any music or videos to iTunes. I've put in over 200 music CDs that I bought elsewhere. iTunes, IMHO, is a very handy (and good) music and video storage program. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

OP
S

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again!

I have a couple of iPods, but this Mini is the first tablet I've bought. I got it because it runs a navigation program that I use when I fly (the Android version is kind of crippled). It will use my Android phone to connect to the Internet, and when I'm stuck overnight somewhere the only other thing I need is MP4 playback. That means that I can leave my Toughbook at home.

OP
S

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Disregard, got a better question for a different thread.

Last edited:

Most reactions