What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remote control an IPAD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssarmazi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Are you sure LogMeIn allows you to remote control an iPad device? I was not aware that any app allows this as it breaks all of Apple's rules for sandboxing. The agent software running on the iPad would need to hook directly into IOS, and no app store apps are allowed to do that.
LogMeIn can absolutely allow an iPad to control other devices since it is a remote desktop solution, but taking control of another iPad directly isn't supported AFAIK.

This is the information that I have too. Logmein (or any other app) canNOT remote control another iPad.

fulip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no remote control for the iPad to enable it to do what you want. The programs ('apps') in an iPad are isolated ('sandboxed') and have only very limited ability to interact. So it would not be possible for an app resident on the iPad to control other apps unless this was explicitly allowed by the iPad's operating system, iOS.

Tim
i'm quite sure apple created sandboxed environment for every app so it doesnt touch or modify filesystem. somehow to guarantee user experience and limiting apple employee's productivity to troubleshoot problems created by filesystem modification and virus issues.

but it is not possible to bypass sandbox limitation for developers.
indeed several app still available at itunes altough it can bypass sandbox limitation, it still quite safe for ipad filesystem.
thats what i called maximizing functionality without putting the system into jeopardy.

Last edited:

Foelie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I need remote assistance / remote desktop support on iDevices for support purposes since we encounter all possible devices (BYOD... YAY!) in our company and across the country.
LogMeIn supports full remote control for just a handful of devices, like HTC One X, BlackBerry and Windows Mobile. For all other devices support is limited to pushing some settings like Exchange accounts and APN settings.
BlackBerry offers free device simulators which provide exactly the functionality of the actual device, so without LogMeIn it's fairly easy to support those (Enterprise activated) devices. For all other OSes there are no device simulators available or they are app-developer oriented and unsuitable for support purposes.

While reading this thread I've come across Veency... I installed it on my iPad 3 and it did exactly what I wanted. Although it supports only VNC (slow) it does show me the iPad's screen and lets me interact with it.
The drawback though is that the iDevice needs to be jailbroken. That means it's not a viable option for our company. Unless we politely ask the user if his device is jailbroken of course :), but most of them don't even know what that means :p

lgwood01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bomgar is the only answer so far

1. Re-hash of why, but yes, any system admin or owner of an IT firm or firm that uses iDevices in a production environment needs remote access, especially if you are supporting 20+ devices in a business environment.
2. Yes, all the apps are sandboxed on a non-jailbroken phone/pad
3. No, you can't ask 50 end users all across the country/world to jailbreak their phones to allow hands on/screenshot level remote support.
4. Yes, it actually is available. It seems the good ol', expensive, remote support firm Bomgar got the nod from Apple (wonder how much that cost) to develop a remove iDevice support system on a non-jailbroken device. I do not have pricing info as of yet, but I'm sure this will only be a viable option for larger support departments/IT firms as I do know Bomgar isn't cheap at all, and is ran via a management appliance. (think 5k to 10k, and you have to install a management appliance on your network etc etc etc.) It does not allow for full remote control though, just for profile/change pushes and chat/screenshot views, so you would still have to talk the end user through navigating through an issue.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .
4. Yes, it actually is available. It seems the good ol', expensive, remote support firm Bomgar got the nod from Apple (wonder how much that cost) to develop a remove iDevice support system on a non-jailbroken device. I do not have pricing info as of yet, but I'm sure this will only be a viable option for larger support departments/IT firms as I do know Bomgar isn't cheap at all, and is ran via a management appliance. (think 5k to 10k, and you have to install a management appliance on your network etc etc etc.) It does not allow for full remote control though, just for profile/change pushes and chat/screenshot views, so you would still have to talk the end user through navigating through an issue.

Actually this level of support has been available with Enterprise developer accounts for quite some time. I'm sure Bomgar adds some nice tools and UI enhancements, but the essentials are/were already there. I'm pretty sure I've read about a couple other third party iOS management solutions as well. Apple did not give Blomgar anything special.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Enterprise_Deployment_Guide.pdf

helnrw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not trying to be a smart-alec, but could you please tell me the scenario where you would need to control the ipad remotely. I am very interested to hear why.
My old mother cant handle the iPad, but if I could remote I could set up a skype or started the safari and made an iPad useful to her.
But I need FULL control over the remote iPad.

christos_orestis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Control your iPhone/iPad from your PC/Mac

Veency :eek:
To view and control your iPhone/iPad from your PC/Mac you need to install:

- Veency on iPhone/iPad (from Cydia)
- VNC on PC/Mac

Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by a member of staff in accordance with the Forum Rules. No links to other iPad blogs please. This information was already provided in a previous reply above.

* jailbreak is required

Last edited by a moderator:

grunsel00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why should you remote control an ipad?.......

they say you don't need any knowledge to work with an ipad but the..........

Apple promotes ipad on the working floor but for the it administrator there isn't any tool to look with the end user on his ipad. In this way you will never get it administrator's to like an ipad. You have one, fine leave it at home and read your personal email on it and read the newspaper but don't bother me when you have a problem at home with your ipad........................that's why such an application would be very nice to have................

sometimes it would be very easy to have an application as teamviewer for an ipad so that i can watch what the customer is doing with his ipad. instead of telling me he have a problem and 9 out of 10 it is a user problem.

mreed911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apperian Remote Control

It appears Apperian has done this and that it doesn't require a jailbreak (but is a private app, not approved for the app store). Since I have a new account I can't post a link, but googling Apperian Remote Control comes up with it.

Note: I do not work for Apperian, I'm not an investor in Apperian. Being new, I don't want someone to think this is a corporate account. I'm simply searching for a similar solution to others in this thread.

That Apperian has done it gives me hope it can be done by others, too.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It appears Apperian has done this and that it doesn't require a jailbreak (but is a private app, not approved for the app store). Since I have a new account I can't post a link, but googling Apperian Remote Control comes up with it.

Note: I do not work for Apperian, I'm not an investor in Apperian. Being new, I don't want someone to think this is a corporate account. I'm simply searching for a similar solution to others in this thread.

That Apperian has done it gives me hope it can be done by others, too.

It's not that it can't be done. It's quite trivial to do. It's just that Apple won't approve such an app for distribution to the public via the app store :(
With a jailbroken device you can set up remote control within about 60 seconds!

mreed911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed. This solution doesn't appear to require jailbreaking the device, though. It is a private app - I get that - but the no jailbreak? That's huge!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. This solution doesn't appear to require jailbreaking the device, though. It is a private app - I get that - but the no jailbreak? That's huge!

Well, not really IMHO ;)
You could consider every jailbreak app to be a private app, simply made public via a jailbreak!
Pay Apple $99 and you can develop / deploy any private app you like on your device. Private is trivial, unless you are an Enterprise, in which case it becomes very interesting.
It would be making a remote control app public which would be huge!

Oh, and the cost of Apperion... That's huge!

Last edited:

mreed911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I don't think you're getting it.

Even for private apps, they shouldn't be able to get out of the sandbox. Not without jailbreaking.

Jailbreaking is simple. But it's taboo among business users (and not really a pro/con argument I care to have). But jb'ed remote control solutions have existed a while now.

To date, though, NO non-jb solutions have been around, whether private app or app store, because getting out of the sandbox required JB.

The technical step necessary to get a non-jb'ed ios device to be remote controlled is significant. Whether it's a private app or app-store app is secondary (it matters in terms of distribution/cost, but not in the technical details of how).

To date I know of no other non-jb solutions for remote control. I'm also at a complete loss for how Apperian did this within the terms/conditions of the enterprise app program - how they got around the need to jb when app sandboxing is (should be? was?) an abosolute requirement *even for private apps developed under the enterprise developer program*.

I'd be happy to to be wrong.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I've spent too many years out of jail that I've become completely blind to sandboxing ;)

Well, Apperion have a history of complying with the Apple Enterprise Programme terms, so I guess it will become clear what sorcery they employed once they actually release it :)

Always happy to be wrong too!

Last edited:

tomymogo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use Ipad as an apple tv

Picture you want to use your Ipad as a mobil entertainment device. You just have to buy and HDMI adapter and an hdmi cable for your Ipad and connect it to your TV. Now you have access to music, videos, netflix, youtube, mlbtv, hulu plus on your TV. Basically your IPAD becomes your very own apple tv for around 40 dollars, you just watch it form your bed like its normal TV and you start watching a tv series from Netflix, you need to walk to the tv get the Ipad and select the show you want, and you need to do this every time you want to pause fast forward, change episode, etc, so that's why I want a remote control for my IPAD, off course APPLE doesn't provide one because it would definitely take Apple TV off the market with their own IPAD and they don't want that. Cydia has an app that lets you control the IPAD from a computer, but you have to jailbreak it, and well I just don't want to, but it would be awesome to remote control an IPAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts