What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to remote control my Ipad from my desktop

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashtop Remote supports Wake on Lan since their last update.

Only if the pc is 'asleep' not turned off.

That's what "wake on lan" means; I've never heard of anything letting you boot the PC remotely, only via a direct ethernet connection.
I don't know if SplashTop only wakes from "suspended" or not but true wake on lan does not mean that at all. The PC is off as far as any OS is concerned. The support is usually on the motherboard and once that "magic packet" is sent via ethernet--or WiFi if it supports wake on wireless--then that PC computer comes to life. Does not have to be in suspend or hibernate. Aside from listening on ethernet or wifi is is off.

But again, I am not sure what the SplashTop support for this is. But if they say wake on lan I would assume it doesn't just mean wake from standbye.

Michael

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on this but doesn't your PC have too support a true wake on LAN? I haven't seen any iPad/iPhone app including splashtop that supports a true wake from completely off.... It just works to wake it from sleep.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on this but doesn't your PC have too support a true wake on LAN? I haven't seen any iPad/iPhone app including splashtop that supports a true wake from completely off.... It just works to wake it from sleep.

It has to be supported in the computer's BIOS firmware, but it's been years since I've seen a computer that didn't have the option. According to Splashtop's web site, it fully supports WoL by sending a packet to computer that's off, suspended, or in hibernation, which I didn't know (and will never use).

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK I checked into SplashTop's implementation of wake on LAN. It is pretty much a separate function... similar to other iOS out there dedicated to wake on LAN.

As I suspected it only works when on the local network. You have to have already connected to the PC--it must save the MAC address transparently after you have connected once.

It won't work over the Internet though most dedicated apps won't either.

But in other news the Splashtop server and app were just updated. Now supports native PC resolutions and not just 1024*768 and 800*600. And finally pinch and zoom! Yay!

Michael

polyphony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can vouch for LogMeIn's Wake-on-lan working perfectly happily over the internet.

But I am only here hoping to find a way of controlling an iPad from my PC (or a Mac) - so as to help an elderly relative from afar.

Rod

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can vouch for LogMeIn's Wake-on-lan working perfectly happily over the internet.

But I am only here hoping to find a way of controlling an iPad from my PC (or a Mac) - so as to help an elderly relative from afar.

Rod

You wont' be able to do this on a stock iPad and I doubt you want to talk your elderly relative through the process of jailbreaking, so on that basis you are out of luck, sorry. Apple simply don't allow it for stock iPads.

CrazySarahify

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone found an app similar to MyMobiler (for windows phones), that would allow me to remote control or just even view my ipad screen from my windows or Mac Desktop?

I did do a search and could not find such an app.

i found an app called TeamVeiwer that im pretty sure lets you do that. hope i helped at least a little :)

Reaction score
I am waiting for such app by which I could control my iPad from my Desktop. If you have any authentic information, please share it with me. Thank you

Jollydodger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds like you are going to be waiting for a while since Apple has designed the operating system to not allow this to happen. It sounds like jailbreaking is the only way to allow an app to have the controls that allow this to happen. This is an idiotic choice on Apples part, I know I know security yadda yadda yadda........ Funny thing, I've been doing it on PCs and mobile devices for 20 years without incident, but Apple can't build in a setting that allows you a secure way to remote access.

Last edited:

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MarcusCC said:
Has anyone found an app similar to MyMobiler (for windows phones), that would allow me to remote control or just even view my ipad screen from my windows or Mac Desktop?

I did do a search and could not find such an app.

Isn't that counter-productive?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jollydodger said:
What do you mean by that, how do you see this as being counter productive? What are you talking about?

Why would you want to see your ipad on the computer? The other way around, comp to ipad, i totally get.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't that counter-productive?

I don't think we need to ask questions of a post made in 2010, do we? There are plenty of reasons folks will have.

The topic has been well covered and answered, but to summarise and provide the latest info for all our members, the options are...

1. You can view the PC screen on the iPad using may different Apps available from the App store such as Air Display (mirroring) or iTap VNC (remote desktop) depending on your needs.

2. You can view the iPad screen on a Mac using an AirPlay solution such as "Reflection" for OSX - reflectionapp.com is the website. Don't know if there is a Windows equivalent or not. Reflection works well, but it is not full resolution mirroring on iPad3, so prepare for some fuzzy disappointment.

3. You can only control the iPad from a PC if you are jailbroken, using a VNC Client from Cydia such as Veency. It's unlikely Apple will ever change their stance on this, so jailbreaking is the only way. Veency works perfectly well on jailbroken IOS 5.1.1 and on iPad3 in case anyone is interested.

Hope that clarifies.

I'll leave the thread open in case anyone has questions related to the topic.

Jollydodger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remote administration, IT support and all the other reasons people have been using VNC, Remote Access, Logmein and the like for the last 20 years. Even if you don't see it, that hardly qualifies as counter productive.

Most reactions