What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remote control an IPAD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cayleg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just find a apps for you to control iPad remotely. You can get it free from iTunes. download TeamViewer. Great apps.
Apps for ios that turn iphone or ipad to a remote control | Techyv.com

i use a jail broken ipad 3 ios 5.1.1 with
apple bluetooth keyboard
voice control from cydia
voice actions as well
activator too
from across the room i hit both volume keys on bluetooth keyboard and it opens voice contol
i say mail it opens mail or music or video
iv put in 25 commands even unlock

cherapin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you able to use SSH? If you jailbreak it, you can use root to login to remote PC's

Jollydodger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can't log in to the Ipad with a PC because of Apples terrific "security" controls, can this be done by jailbreaking the ipad? I'd rather have a jailbroken Ipad my mother can use rather than an ipaperweight.

BTW everyone looking for a "remote control device" for music and video playback etc. there are about 30 threads dedicated to the subject. This isn't one of them.

usercmr1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not trying to be a smart-alec, but could you please tell me the scenario where you would need to control the ipad remotely. I am very interested to hear why.

Think about this a second. Apple is really trying to target the Business world with IPad and IPhone these days. The original Iphone was not at all a business tool, but since then every revision of iOS has improved functionality for the business user. I am a Droid user, and I bear no ill will to Apple or Google, I simply care about results. Iphone and Ipad are powerful and highly secure tools that have been designed for not only fun play but also to better enhance the life of the business user. Apply and Google both embraced Microsoft ActiveSync technology for exchange integration, something the laggards at RIM have yet to do in Blackberry, This makes every Ipad, Iphone, and Droid device instantly ready for exchange syncronization, meaning users can use their own devices instead of the company needing to spend tons of money on a BES server and a Blackberry for each user.

Apple already has Mobile Device Management to keep the devices tailored to the business, you can configure exchange email, passcodes, installation policies all with MBM, but thats it. you cannot assist a user with any other problem related to a LOB app that may be the result of poor user configs. If you can remote control the device imagine how much easier the IT dept. will be able to assist not only users with devices issued by the company but also the BYOD crowd as well. THAT my friends is why we need remote access capability on Iphone and Ipad.

mrsaawesome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Replicate is not the answer if the device is not in the same WiFi

I have been looking for a solution for a while now, to the point where I am contemplating developing the app myself.
Why? I sent my mother an iPad as a gift. It is the greatest thing I could have done to our relationship. She lives very far away (different country, 11 Hours flight from me) and this allows us to easily video chat, something I never got her to do on any computer. Now, I need a way to support her remotely and the "what do you see on the screen" game is no good.

I have looked at Replicate. Costs $4,99 and seem to only allow you limited control and only on a device on the same WiFi. To me - it's kind'a missing the remote aspect.

pableau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use case for remoting an iPad from another iPad over the internet...

I'm not seeing the use case listed or why I must have a remote control for an iPad over the internet... My mother is 83 years old, living alone, and won't use a computer anymore, but I'm hopeful she will use an iPad. I'm buying her one, and getting her setup. However, she will run into some kind of problem. It is over an hour drive to her house. It is crazy that I should need to drive one hour (each way) to show her how to do something on her iPad. She is a technology immigrant, and thus, even the wonderfully easy iPad will be a challenge for her. Her declining cognitive health will also mean she will have troubles I won't really understand unless we are seeing the exact same thing and she is talking to me about the problem. Heck, after driving all the way to her house, I have little hope she will be able to reproduce and restate what the problem is or where she was when she was having trouble!

I am not buying the Telikin, the mouse interaction won't work for her. She has an iMac, but it is never turned on any longer because she wants to sit on her lazy-boy chair and use her computer. A laptop is still a full computer interface with too many options - she gets confused easily which is the other reason she stopped using her iMac.

The iPad is exactly what I need for her, and I'm pretty confident she will love it and use it. But I can't remote into her iPad to help her understand things she has trouble with! PLEASE make this possible (OVER THE INTERNET - not just WiFi).

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jailbreaking is your only viable option for now.

Once jailbroken you can simply install Veency (free) from Cydia which includes all the tweaks necessary to remote control the iPad from another device with a VNC viewer. It works fine on devices up to and including iPad3 and 5.1.1, which I have tested myself. It includes mouse cursor support etc. so your mother could "see" what you were pointing to, clicking, etc.

To use it over the internet you would need to make the necessary configuration changes to your mothers broadband router.
That would probably include setting up dynamic dns and port forwarding of the VNC port to the device as well as ensuring the device has a static IP on the home network.

Just be aware that there is plenty to go wrong or be problematic with this setup, so you'd need to be sure of what you were doing...

Head over to the hacking section for more details on jailbreaking.

Hope that helps.

Parchmentanthony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not trying to be a smart-alec, but could you please tell me the scenario where you would need to control the ipad remotely. I am very interested to hear why.

I am also looking for something like this because I bought an I iPad for my 10 year old son. He lives in FL I live in Vegas. I would like to be able to control his iPad remotely to download apps or music from my apple store account without giving him or his MOM my password.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also looking for something like this because I bought an I iPad for my 10 year old son. He lives in FL I live in Vegas. I would like to be able to control his iPad remotely to download apps or music from my apple store account without giving him or his MOM my password.

Not to get off topic but you can accomplish this by gifting an app to him. There is an option when you are viewing an app in the app store to send it as a gift. You simply have to enter the email associated with his iPad and he will be alerted (by email I think) that he has an app to download.

vrajagopalan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I totally agree with Mr.Tim from Scotland. Yes, the iPad has all its apps 'sandboxed' and have constraints on inter- & intra-interaction besides Apple customized iOS. Possibly, the iOS can/may be modified by Apple Team, as per customer need - in good faith, with virus protects and user rights protected access. Hope, it may be made possible because of the iOS is akin to UNIX. Big question is "jail breaking"..Is it needed?.. V.Rajagopalan, Hyderabad, India

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Parchmentanthony said:

If my son wants an app on his iPod, I just install it on my iPhone or iPad and it automatically installs on his iPod. All that's needed is to make sure all of the devices share the same AppleID.

Parchmentanthony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to get off topic but you can accomplish this by gifting an app to him. There is an option when you are viewing an app in the app store to send it as a gift. You simply have to enter the email associated with his iPad and he will be alerted (by email I think) that he has an app to download.

I saw that, thanks for the feedback, but he still needs an apple ID and password to complete the download.

Parchmentanthony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried that but I do not want every app that I add to my app collection to automatically go to his Ipad either. Some of my apps he does not need nor do I need him to have access to as well.

asizemore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Log me in

Log me in offers a product for support desks to remote in to your divice for support. I am a teacher and I use log me in to control a few of the pieces of technology in my classroom (not our 10 iPads) but we could. The only problem is this becomes carly. Another option is, many large companies that loan you technology can remote into it at anytime. They may use a program or have an additional copy that you could use.

Hope this helps,

Austin

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Log me in offers a product for support desks to remote in to your divice for support. I am a teacher and I use log me in to control a few of the pieces of technology in my classroom (not our 10 iPads) but we could. The only problem is this becomes carly. Another option is, many large companies that loan you technology can remote into it at anytime. They may use a program or have an additional copy that you could use.

Hope this helps,

Austin

Are you sure LogMeIn allows you to remote control an iPad device? I was not aware that any app allows this as it breaks all of Apple's rules for sandboxing. The agent software running on the iPad would need to hook directly into IOS, and no app store apps are allowed to do that.
LogMeIn can absolutely allow an iPad to control other devices since it is a remote desktop solution, but taking control of another iPad directly isn't supported AFAIK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts