What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I might buy one of those super cheapo Chinese ones sooner or later just to see what it can do, but I'm not buying an $800 7" screen Galaxy tablet.

I wouldn't reccomend doing either of those things. Most of the cheap Chinese ones have zero support, no marketplace, and in general perform poorly. The Galaxy performs fairly well, but it's way overpriced.

Wait a couple months until after the holidays and you'll see quite a few released for around $300. The Notion Ink Adam is the one I'm holding out the most hope for, but the lowish screen resolution makes me nervous. Unless it receives stellar reviews, I'll look into the Acer high resolution tablets when they are released.
The cheap ones are only $80 so expectations aren't high. If it breaks in 3 months I wouldn't be too upset.

Fotodirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
users.telenet.be
I would only just recommend that before you run off to buy an Android tablet, make sure that you test it yourself.

Are you sure that the interface is good enough for you? Most reviews keep on saying that is not as smooth.

Are you sure that it runs flash? Some reviewers that tested flash on Android 2.2 are saying that Jobs was right afterall that it is not good on mobile devices.

Are you sure the build quality is enough? If it is going to cost less than the iPAD, it will be plastic parts screwed toghether.

Everybody Will have to answer these questions for himself. Nobody can tell you what to do.

For me after 5 months, I have not missed flash at all.
The intgration between my Mac, iPod and iPad cannot be missed anymore. I doubt that any other OS will come close.

Never onderstood why people want USB or other ports. The way my Aperture library sync's on a logical and user experience level cannot be replaced with any physical file sharing.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just because Android 2.2 can run Flash doesn't mean the device can. The higher spec devices run it just fine, the lower spec devices are the ones having problems. Also, it's not only Flash, Android OS runs Java as well, another thing that the iPad doesn't do fully.

Apple's build quality is great, and it feels like a $500+ device, but I'll take more functionality and a cheaper feel.

gregg37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely. Been waiting for the right device. The early Android tablets have not been anything to get excited about, but I feel we'll have some real winners coming out of the gate soon.

Dukins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Purchased the Galaxy tab and played with it for about 3 weeks. Since I have an EVO, the experience with the tab seemed more like a bigger sized EVO. It didnt make much sense to have a tab and phone that virtually does the same thing thats why I purchased an Ipad. I wanted a different experience. With that said in the future if Android can get it right by making a 10" version along with Gingerbread I may go back to the darkside. But for now loving my Ipad and learning new things about iOS everyday.

iwantanipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
samsung galaxy

There is no question that eventually an android device will at least be competitive. I am currently in the middle of a debate over which one to get, the ipad or the samsung galaxy. Although it only came out within the last few months, its sales are getting close to 1 million. I have tried out both devices and I have to say that the galaxy is a real competitor. However both have some issues that make my decision tough. I have a droid, and after playing around with the galaxy, it feels really nice, but just a bigger version of my phone that can actually watch flash videos, whereas the ipad is something completely different. Obviously this won't be the same for everyone depending on your phone, but its my point of view. I do like the SD slot and the customization that you are allowed on the android devices (I dont want to jailbreak an ipad b/c I did it with my itouch and it bricked it). Although I just skimmed over the forum I didnt see anyone mention anything about the galaxy and as of now it seems to be the biggest competitor.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3pdWBlZ34[/ame]

Looks like it's gonna be an excellent update! The tech notes I've read about it say it includes support for larger screens, so 2.3 will work MUCH MUCH better on tablets than the current Android OS! Great news! Although until Android Honeycomb comes out early next year, it still won't be "native" tablet support.

Also, they mention the touch input optimization to lower CPU usage. This is one of the main reasons why the interface seems so much less "fluid" or smooth on the Android OS vs iOS. The touch input used an unusually high amount of processing power, which has now been improved with 2.3. This means the swipes and movements in the apps should be more like iOS.

Here's some of the highlights:
Android 2.3 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

Also, today they demonstrated a Motorola 10" Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) tablet that supposedly has a dual core Nvidia 3D processor and will be out next year! I think I may just stick with my iPad for another 6 months or so, or until a good quality 3.0 tablet comes out.

Last edited:
OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a demo video embedded in this link

Motorola Android tablet prototype makes a cameo at D: Dive Into Mobile running Honeycomb -- Engadget

It shows the Motorola tablet running 3.0. It's sooooooooooo smooth, and this is a prototype version running a early version of the OS, so it's only going to get better. The new Google Maps looks incredible with the vectors and 3D.

That tablet looks like serious iPad competition.

I`m unfamiliar with the mobile Android OS, does it enable a central file system?

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the cat and mouse game that jobs is playing I am strongly considering playbook or android once it comes out.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually have a hacked Pandigital Novel at present, so have explored with Android in a tablet factor. I know though not much about Android-I've jailbroken an older iPhone and unlocked phones before, but my spouse did the hack on the Novel. I've sideloaded a couple of free apps. I don't have the Marketplace in there. So I already have an Android tablet of sorts, but since the Novel was meant as an e-reader, I don't expect it to be near the experience of an iPad or Galaxy Tab. It does surf the web decently, and it does fine as an e-reader. It has reasonable battery life but it can't be left on standby mode. Since getting the iPad, I haven't used it at all, but again, it's not a valid comparison as its main function is being an e-reader. Since I have an investment in iOS apps already, I know I won't be getting an Android tab when the more refined ones come out.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, yesterday we purchased a Velocity Micro Cruz Tablet for my wife.

Within 3 hours she was wanting me to return it, which I did.

The "app marketplace" is very restricted, the thing locked up on us, and it just gave the feeling that Android just isn't "there" yet when it comes to tablets.

We love our Android phones, though.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not really in any hurry to replace my Ipad, so imagine I will stick with it until the battery is shot. Once that time comes, if Apple is still sticking to not allowing any external memory to be used with the device I will be going with the competition. Traveling with my Ipad the last week and a half has showed me just how limited this device is without being able to access USB memory devices. I was expecting my Ipad to be a stand alone travel companion, but the truth is that it will always be tethered to a computer (the need for Itunes) which is a little disappointing.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is where people REALLY need to stop wasting their money on terrible tablets such as the Micro Cruz mentioned a couple posts up. These tablets are doing nothing but turning people off of Android, which when paired with a good system, is an amazing open OS.

Just wait until the good tablets start coming out in the next 2-6 months, then you will see what it's capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts