What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is where people REALLY need to stop wasting their money on terrible tablets such as the Micro Cruz mentioned a couple posts up. These tablets are doing nothing but turning people off of Android, which when paired with a good system, is an amazing open OS.

Just wait until the good tablets start coming out in the next 2-6 months, then you will see what it's capable of.

I wasted money for all of 3-4 hours, and then returned it and got my money credited back.

I agree that at some point, a good Android tablet will be made, it's just what's out there was rushed to compete with the iPad and it shows.

My wife wanted something similar to the iPad without spending the $500.00.

I tried to get her to let me spend $200 more and get her her own iPad, but she didn't want me too. And I prefer sleeping inside, so I did what was best for me.

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I`ve been in Best Buy three times this past week (Christmas) and have been playing with the Galaxy tab they have on display every chance I get.

It is functionally superior to the iPad.

File System
Tethering ability
Flash storage
Game Interfaces seem just as smooth
Reading on it is good
Video rocks
Touch screen response seems just as smooth as the iPad.
The 7 inch size is preferable to me as well.
Haven`t checked wireless/3g response as it`s not connected.

Really the only thing the iPad has over it is killer apps and a very sleek design.

I have no need for a tablet but I have to talk myself out of buying one every time I touch it.

Santelia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess Android is not so interesting. If you are somehow compelled to get it, you can run it on your iPad, too.

3rdfoundation

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the size of the ipad's screen. The galaxy tab's screen size is smaller which is a huge drawback for me:
Samsung Galaxy Tab specs versus the Apple iPad | Android Central

This market will continue to mature. As we've seen with the portable audio market, many competitors have come and gone. Apple is still here. When I buy an Apple product I know they'll be here to support and improve it. They may not always do things in the consumer's best interest but the products will be solid.

Everyone has different things they are looking for. When a major player introduces a comparable product at the same size with much more storage and direct access to the file system I will be tempted. For now the ipad is best choice in mho.

ipfmike

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll definitely look at Android tablets, especially smaller, less expensive ones, just for fun. I won't be giving up my iPad, though.

slim gravy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
some one made the dum remark one time... that ipad size is bad for movies since its not wide screen... well the other ones are 1024x 600 ish, movie fills the screen sure... but ours are the same size (actual movie) BUT, BUT we have all the extra real estate after the movie...

i love my android phone, it BLOWS iphone away. but id never want one if it was smaller than the ipad. the tab looks like its only slightly bigger than some of the new droid phones, that IMO are to big to be a phone. and the tab is too small to sit and type on.

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Making it widescreen would require either more screen or less. I think too much more screen and the thing would be too wide. Less screen is les screen and nobody wants that. SO there are some little black bars when you watch a 16x9 movie. If it were a 16x9 aspect ratio you would have black bars when you watched every other type of video, so what's the difference, except that the screen as it is is much better suited for reading and surfing and playing video games (especially ports of old console games) than a widescreen would have been?

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Until I saw the Archos 10' with capacitive glass, I would have said absolutely not because until a prior poster made me aware of that tab, I only knew of the Galaxy which has a TFT screen which is a complete deal breaker.

Now that I know there are Android tabs with a glass screen, my answer goes from absolutely not to just a simple no. While the Archos has all the sexiness that the iPad has, it doesn't offer anything sufficiently different for me to wish to make another purchase. Those things that are listed ad nauseum as drawbacks of the iPad are not drawbacks for me, they are simply non-issues.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Memory expansion is a non issue to you? I would think everyone would want to have the option available to add extra space for cheap. With a proper SD port, you could add 32GB of memory for $50.

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Memory expansion is a non issue to you? I would think everyone would want to have the option available to add extra space for cheap. With a proper SD port, you could add 32GB of memory for $50.

Yes, for me it is a non-issue. I bought a 64GB model and doubt very seriously that I will even scratch the surface of that. Ever. I use my iPad for writing, for work, and for reading. In all cases the tasks are not at all memory intensive. Text files are negligible in size and they are what I use for both my personal writing and my work because it is the one file that crosses all platforms. Epub files are equally tiny in size with entire full length novels being measured in the kilobytes. I knew that the memory could not be expanded when I bought the machine. There was no bait and switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts