What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you will consider an Android Tablet?

Will you consider purchasing an Android tablet?

• Yes! It will replace my iPad.

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Yes! But I'll keep my iPad too.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • No! I'll keep my iPad.

Votes: 119 52.7%
  • Maybe. I have to use it before I decide.

Votes: 50 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or this summer at the vary latest. Even if it is not 100% ready. Google doesn't have any problem with releasing softwear that still needs polish, and to wait longer than that will all but reneg on the promise made by their current tablet partner, Motorola.

The pressure to meet a spring ship date is going to be huge.

As is evidenced by my basically useless Google TV. If it werent a good tv I would have returned it. The only thing I really use in the built ni features is netflix which is really no differet from what I already had on the PS3

Honeycomb, the Android TABLET OS, wont be released until 2012 because you dont like your Google TV. Have you been drinking?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Or this summer at the vary latest. Even if it is not 100% ready. Google doesn't have any problem with releasing softwear that still needs polish, and to wait longer than that will all but reneg on the promise made by their current tablet partner, Motorola.

The pressure to meet a spring ship date is going to be huge.

As is evidenced by my basically useless Google TV. If it werent a good tv I would have returned it. The only thing I really use in the built ni features is netflix which is really no differet from what I already had on the PS3

Honeycomb, the Android TABLET OS, wont be released until 2012 because you dont like your Google TV. Have you been drinking?

No need to get upset. From some perspectives it's a reasonable prediction. There have been more announced then delayed or vanished Android tablets than released ones. Of course we aren't really talking about tablets, but Google. They have a fair record of releasing things when they say they will, even if they aren't always really ready for release. But given the strong perceived link between Android and their devices it's sometimes hard to remember that they are separate products.

Honeycomb will probably come out on schedule. Motorola has a pretty good rep for shipping as promised too. So the Xoom stands and excellent chance of making its spring deadline.

And despite my qualifiers about Google software being released too soon, I expect Honeycomb will be fine. It's a little too high profile for Google to do one of their semi-beta releases. I do expect it to contain a few surprises and glitches though. That's just Google culture. Release, fix, release, fix... They aren't afraid to throw things out there and fix them on the run. It's why they always have so may features. They add everything, and then fixe or remove things when they don't fly.

Apple does the opposite. They like to make sure everything works, and then slowly add new stuff as the demand becomes apparent. It's also why people get so upset when something Apple doesn't work. Expectations.

No one really expects Google stuff to be perfect, just usable and cool.

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love flash ( yes I am one of those, get over it) but the screen on the android is too small, I love the size of my Ipad.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love flash ( yes I am one of those, get over it) but the screen on the android is too small, I love the size of my Ipad.

There are multiple Android based tablets, some with 10" screens. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is not the only Android tablet on the market, it's just the most mass-marketed.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There are multiple Android based tablets, some with 10" screens. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is not the only Android tablet on the market, it's just the most mass-marketed.

Oh, didnt know that, thank you! I do like my Ipad for the most part, I just really like flash, I cant do 80% of what i want to do on it because of that reason. I was just hoping maybe there would be an ungrade with flash support, but thinking that isnt coming any time soon lol

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For iPad? No, for Android, yes, my phone can run Flash sites decently well, not perfect, fairly choppy, but at least I can see it, can't see it at all on the iPad. Flash videos run perfectly on my phone, which is the Samsung Galaxy S which is what the Galaxy Tab is based on. There's even a hack now for the Galaxy Tab to overclock it to 1.2GHZ which should improve performance significantly.

OP
Superbike81

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, might reduce battery life while the processor is under heavy strain, but even then, I'd sacrifice some of my battery life for more power.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be awesome if you could pair your ipad with a laptop or desktop and transfer files, but Apple of course gimped that capability intentionally.

What are you talking about? Of course you can pair your iPad with your laptop or desktop to transfer files.

Direct USB to 30pin, or wirelessly via wifi/cellular radio. Cloud/internet or LAN.

If you're talking about itunes OTA, you would know by now that doesn't even exist with any other iOS device, and BT is inefficient and lacks the transceiver distance of wifi.

Why dont you read the context of the post. We were talking about bluetooth.

Why don't you read the context of my post. BT=bluetooth.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Of course you can pair your iPad with your laptop or desktop to transfer files.

Direct USB to 30pin, or wirelessly via wifi/cellular radio. Cloud/internet or LAN.

If you're talking about itunes OTA, you would know by now that doesn't even exist with any other iOS device, and BT is inefficient and lacks the transceiver distance of wifi.

Why dont you read the context of the post. We were talking about bluetooth.

Why don't you read the context of my post. BT=bluetooth.

I read the context of your post. Show me how to transfer files from laptop to iPad over wifi without a wifi router, which is basically anytime you are not at home.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are a couple of BlueTooth file sharing apps. They are pretty limited and have lousy reviews though. I went searching a few days ago when I realized that while Apple didn't add BlueTooth sharing to any of their apps, the ability to create a BlueTooth serial connection is supported.

Developers don't seem to have make any good apps based on it though, either through lack of interest or difficulty. I can't tell from what little I can find.

bamfsig45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Engadget posted leaked screen shots of the Xoom price tag. 799.00. If those are accurate, no thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
About the same as the high end iPad. But if rumors are true that is the base price. But they are rumors, so it's still wait, wait, wait.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Engadget posted leaked screen shots of the Xoom price tag. 799.00. If those are accurate, no thanks.

Can't imagine it being that expensive. If so, then guess I will be buying something else. That is for the 3g model on Verizon if I remember correctly what I read earlier, so the wifi only model should be at least a little cheaper, hopefully a lot.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If I remember Motorola's announcement, the WiFi only model won't be shipping for at least three months after the 3G model hits the market. There was no firm commitment, only a we're going to do, maybe second quarter, and we don't know where they will be available at first.

Someone can correct me if my memory is slipping. It does that sometimes, a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts