What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me decide iPad mini or iPad air ??? i can't make up my mind

Danceking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Im new to this forum and i need some advice and suggestions.

I had an iPad 3 which i have had for since March 2012 . I sold it tonight i also sold my iPhone 4S on the 30th of September after i ordered the new iPhone 5s (which has not yet arrived) So whilst waiting for the new iPhone i have been using the iPad 3 retina display. I use it in bed at night mainly.

Now the reason i sold it was that i was finding it very heavy.. Holding it in my hand for hours or resting it on my chest used to be awkward and uncomfortable...

So i thought about going for the iPad mini. However i do like the screen size..

Im not sure which is best to go for .. I don't know if the iPad mini will be too small being as I'm used to the normal iPad .. however it is the lightest all round.. I also don't know if when i get my iPhone if i go for iPad air .. I will simply put it down and use iPhone if my hands get tired .. (i haven't had that luxury over last month) So i am now very confused and have NO IDEA what to do ..

Ipad air or ipad mini... what do you suggest and why .. please talk me through it .. just need another opinion thanks.*********

******************************************************UPADTE UPDATE UPDATE ********************

To anyone like me who is confused and don't know what to buy. I have settled for the iPad air after trying them both out because that was right for me personally. I would happily have both products if i could afford to but i can't.

If like me you don't know what to buy see below. That may just help you decide. There isn't a massive lot of difference between the two except size and weight. (mini is slightly sharper on video)

If you spend more than half of your travelling time by public transport i.e. 51% , bus, train, air coach etc ... then go for the iPad mini . Its just easier specially if your sitting in seats and have people next to you and you don't have elbow room etc it weighs less and its easier to carry on your person etc etc and has the same functionality.

If you drive every where or don't travel very much at all. But if you drive 51% of the time to your destinations go for the iPad Air as you will at your destination hopefully have room to put it on your lap table top etc. Also whilst your driving you can't use it. If you have to stop off to use it again you have enough room to use it as you wish . The weight won't matter being as your not personally carrying it. Not that the Air is heavy.

For MEN if you have large fingers go for the Air .. for WOMEN if you have tiny fingers and you are a petite person you may prefer the Mini .. Thats really all i can help with. I found i was using the Air over and above the mini because i preferred the bigger screen when i actually had a choice of which to use. But i do prefer the agility of the smaller iPad so if i was travelling a lot specially on public transport i would of plumped for the mini.

Last edited:

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad Air, hands down. Especially considering your use, and it will be lighter than your iPad 3.:)

jes1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Danceking:
I had a similar dilemma last year and switched from the iPad 3 to the mini ( no RD). I was having pain in my left hand where I held the larger device- all discomfort went away with the mini. However, I have missed the larger size IPad and have planned to purchase the IPad Air tomorrow- given its new lighter weight( it's good to hear that it is faster).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have both a iPad 3 and a mini. I'm going for the mini retina. I can take it more places and hide it away easier. And it is lighter than air!

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It's a tough choice but I would probably recommend the Air for the extra screen real estate.

gmaines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both the iPad 4 and the iPad mini. I do use the iPad mini more because it's so light, But I am going for the iPad air because it is
allot lighter now and that will solve my problems.

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad Air! It's awesome!

Attachments

• image-10807552.jpg
    image-10807552.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 756
OP
D

Danceking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

Ive decided to CHEAT ! I've ordered and iPad Air and decided i will see how i get on with it for a week .. if I'm finding it heavy etc then ill send it back and swap it for the mini .. Im also going into Apple tomorrow and going to spend a good 15 mins just playing with the existing mini being as the weight and size is more or less the same .. well size is with a touch heavier ... But thanks ...

Im starting to think that the APPLE marketing machine has been doing a good Job on me all these years.. over my time in 6 years i think I've had approx 15 phones (replaced under insurance the earlier years etc when broken or lost) ... and I've purchased iPads and macs and iMacs etc.. for what they are its a lot of money ..

In actual monetary terms to me .. i would say i must spend about the equivalent of £1k per year on apple products if not more with ITUNES ... and well I'm realising that I've been taken for a bit of a fool ..

I buy movies etc etc and music ... but now I've gone for Vodafone and spotify so will no longer buy music .. and I've decided i will keep this iPad for at least 3 years if it lasts that long ... and phone for 2 years ... at 45 can't carry on spending like this ... you don't realise it at the time though... i also use netflix now for movies etc rather than buying them cos well when i buy them i very very rarely watch them again unless i have a guest over ..

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
I suggest you look into the Native Union Gripster case. It is not out for the Air yet, but I emailed them and they told me it will be out by the end of the year. They say it is going on the website in about a week. Here is my review of the iPad 3 version: Edited It really has helped alleviate a lot of the discomfort I would get from using my iPad 3 for long periods.

I'm having the same debate as you, but leaning toward going with the Air, especially now that I know I can get the Gripster stand for it pretty soon.

[Moderator edit: Removed link to personal blog. Please read our rules. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

shawn744

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you're going to get different opinions based on people's own personal preferences...i saw ipad mini in person and own an ipad 4, .....i can say that ipad 4 is better....now if you're comparing it the air, the air is the best now because its so much lighter than the previous generation.

jes1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased an iPad Air over the weekend. So far, I have been impressed by it's reduced weight and speed. Nice to have a larger display as well.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had the ipad3 and received my ipad air yesterday and feel a big difference in size, it is pretty amazing how much difference there actually is.

My son had an ipad2, sold it and bought the mini when it came out thinking it would be better since he travels for work every week. He ended up not liking the mini after all, it was easier for him during traveling etc but bought the ipad air Friday and loves it.

Good luck.

OP
D

Danceking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well my iPad has just arrive and i thought i would give you my IMMEDIATE reaction...

Its too heavy for what i am going to need it for (Its too heavy for ME)...

Its gorgeous but picking it up made me in an instant realise what it is i really want. What i really really want is a light hand held device. I already have an iMac desktop . I have a macbook pro so its very unlikely i will ever be using the iPad at this stage as a work horse. I use it mainly when I'm in bed for a couple of hours watching TV on a weekend or evening if i go to bed early. I then use it for watching films tv and browsing and such like Facebook etc. I use it mainly for sitting on the sofa browsing the internet shopping etc etc etc watching videos. I use it for travelling on train journeys to London or Leeds (I live in Birmingham) to occupy my time or look at the occasional email etc.

I do not use it to create word templates or fill in spreadsheets or any such like and i can't see that i ever will once i have laptop or desktop next to me. That may change over the years if i don't replace them but not currently.

So for that reason i will mainly be holding the device in my hand or when in bed resting it on my chest .. This is where the weight places a critical role for me. Holding it for 10-15 mins not an issue but using it for hours becomes and issue and that 0.25 difference in weight between this and the mini for me makes all the difference. Its also more mobile .

Its a mobile device i want and for that reason i think I'm gonna send it back. However i will keep it for 7 days and play with it to make entirely sure (keeping it in its cellophane wrapper of course together with an iPad cover and also keeping the box pristine).

This is my IMMEDIATE reaction ill let you know how i feel in a week. Im posting this here incase anyone else is like me don't know how to decide.

Thanks

DanceKing .

Last edited:

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well my iPad has just arrive and i thought i would give you my IMMEDIATE reaction...

Its too heavy for what i am going to need it for (Its too heavy for ME)...

Its gorgeous but picking it up made me in an instant realise what it is i really want. What i really really want is a light hand held device. I already have an iMac desktop . I have a macbook pro so its very unlikely i will ever be using the iPad at this stage as a work horse. I use it mainly when I'm in bed for a couple of hours watching TV on a weekend or evening if i go to bed early. I then use it for watching films tv and browsing and such like Facebook etc. I use it mainly for sitting on the sofa browsing the internet shopping etc etc etc watching videos. I use it for travelling on train journeys to London or Leeds (I live in Birmingham) to occupy my time or look at the occasional email etc.

This is my IMMEDIATE reaction ill let you know how i feel in a week. Im posting this here incase anyone else is like me don't know how to decide.

Thanks

DanceKing .
The iPad Air is a powerful being. Don't sack it. Use it and you will slowly get used to the weight. But then, its your iPad, you will need it, its your wish to select whats perfect for you, this was my opinion. :)

Most reactions