What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me decide iPad mini or iPad air ??? i can't make up my mind

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally, I will most likely be going with the Air (very soon hopefully)... Because I had the mini (first gen) and I have the N7 (2nd gen) and I have a few other small tablets that I just couldn't resist, which sit on the shelf as backups... I kind of miss my full sized iPads too. For me, the N7 is my favorite small tablet so to buy a retina mini for $400 would probably be a little redundant and a waste of money. The Air on the other hand, is more what I'm in the market for right now... It's frankly going to be between that and the Asus Nexus 10, but I'm 99% sure its gonna be the Air. I can't wait! :) Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Just curious.....why does one need so many tablets? What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious.....why does one need so many tablets? What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

I don't need them... I just like them... plus it's hard when new technology comes out, for me not to want to get it. I sell my old stuff sometimes and have given some away to family and friends. It is a problem though, I will admit that. I do like to have at least 2 tablets with me at a time so when I'm charging one I can use the other. I use tablets a lot and waiting for it to charge would be excruciating on a bi-daily basis.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't need them... I just like them... plus it's hard when new technology comes out, for me not to want to get it. I sell my old stuff sometimes and have given some away to family and friends. It is a problem though, I will admit that. I do like to have at least 2 tablets with me at a time so when I'm charging one I can use the other. I use tablets a lot and waiting for it to charge would be excruciating on a bi-daily basis.

It will be hard for regular people to understand those of us who are a bit tablet-crazed. I own 4 tablets at the moment....I do plan to get rid of some of them, however. Or, at the least, find an alternative use for some of them. I have read where one can make a security system from old tablets. They can be positioned at various locations in and around your home...using the cameras and your wifi, software can monitor the camera on each and do motion detection and do email alerts and whatnot. There is an app on both iOS and Android that supports this kind of thing. So, instead of buying a security system costing $1000 you can just use old tablets (same net cost, though, but potentially more functionality & flexibility). :)

Last edited:

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my iPad Air on Wednesday! Typing this on it now... I was thinking about the new mini but I'm glad I went with the Air. I am so used to smaller tablets that the bigger screen is a welcome change for me. It's like a breath of fresh Air!

Still use my Nexus 7 but not as much now. Loving the iPad Air! I even read Ebooks on it which is different than on a 7" screen. It's surprisingly very doable though. Getting great battery life out of it too. All in all I am pleased with the purchase.

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Zugzwang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
plus.google.com
Lots of votes here for the Mini. That's cool but IMO the full sized screen experience trumps any slightly better portability that you get with the mini. That's the thing too, the mini still does NOT fit into pants or jacket pockets. You need a handbag or briefcase to really tote the mini around and in that case the Air would also fit. The mini is lighter and more svelte and I suspect that can be felt when holding it for long periods. But, the Air has gotten lighter and more svelte too and the larger screen simply rocks for web surfing, gaming, and most other tasks.

My three cents.

I have a full size air, an i put it in my coat pocket all the time. Of course, I'm 6'4", so perhaps my coats have larger pockets than most. Lol

dustinzilbauer35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ipad Mini has a gimped color palette, which is inexcusable given that its supposed to be a premium product with a price to match. Every other iDevice back to the ip5 and iPod touch 5G have full color gamuts, but the new mini only has 63%. The difference is noticeable.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

falafelfro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends how large of a screen you want. That's the main difference at this point. Comparable power, and both have retina displays.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a full size air, an i put it in my coat pocket all the time. Of course, I'm 6'4", so perhaps my coats have larger pockets than most. Lol

Nice! You must have a good sized coat then because my Air won't fit in any of my jackets! :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ipad Mini has a gimped color palette, which is inexcusable given that its supposed to be a premium product with a price to match. Every other iDevice back to the ip5 and iPod touch 5G have full color gamuts, but the new mini only has 63%. The difference is noticeable. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
The difference is only noticeable upon direct comparison. And even then it is slight and unlikely to matter to most.

Also, most people think the mini is smaller than it really is. It is not nearly as small as a nexus 7, for example. When watching a wide screen movie, which only use part of the iPad mini screen, the image you get is still larger than the same image on the nexus 7'a screen, where all of the screen is used. The mini is at its best when you need to take it lots of places. Still lighter and smaller than the air. But if you don't have good near vision, get the air. It is a lovely device and better than any other iPad with the exception of the retina mini.

Last edited:

tuffigirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 and a year or so ago hubby surprised me with an iPad mini.... didn't think I wanted it until I had it. I barely touched my iP3 after that, even though my mini didn't have the retina screen it was so much lighter, easier to hold and fit in all my purses. We were a perfect fit... then I got the iPad air for Valentine's Day. It is so nice to have that big retina screen back! I gave hubby my iPad 3 (he was still using a first gen) and I'm going to hang on to my mini... I love her and she still fits in my purse so well. But if I had to make a choice it would be the Air. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts