What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon Data plan for Ipad Air- I have a complaint!

Pwilkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:confused:
My iPad air arrived yesterday, I let it sync with my last backup on iTunes from my Ipad 2. Today I was going to add the Verizon data plan, I thought I could just take the 2 off and add the Air, an even swap. But NO, they don't offer the 1gb/$20 month plan that I have had for the last few years! The minimum is 2gb for $30/mo. I rarely use the 1gb, unless traveling. I would have gotten an ATT iPad Air, or one of the others if I had known that. NOT happy.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you taken this up with Verizon, since we are in no way affiliated with Verizon?

I have not purchased the iPad air yet, however, did look into their current plans for when I do add a device. I ended up going with a share everything plan between two smartphones, 1 iPad and sharing of 4gb of data. My current plan was only 2 phones, no sharing--which was a little more then what I will be paying next month.

OP
P

Pwilkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was planning to do that today, since my kids share 2gb on their iPhones I thought there must be a new way to do this. I have a separate billing each month for my Ipad 2. Now it looks like it is all on the wireless bill together. Which makes much more sense. My husband has a separate 1gb plan for his iPad 2, also. Now it seems like we will SAVE money if he and I share 2gb for $30! He will be on board with THAT. Thanks for the reply. I just had to sit back and ponder it logically, not always my first reaction....:rolleyes:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was planning to do that today, since my kids share 2gb on their iPhones I thought there must be a new way to do this. I have a separate billing each month for my Ipad 2. Now it looks like it is all on the wireless bill together. Which makes much more sense. My husband has a separate 1gb plan for his iPad 2, also. Now it seems like we will SAVE money if he and I share 2gb for $30! He will be on board with THAT. Thanks for the reply. I just had to sit back and ponder it logically, not always my first reaction....:rolleyes:

For me, it took me a while to wrap my head with the shared plan and my current plan...the biggest thing was the actual savings I will get moving towards this new plan...almost $14 dollars worth. With this new plan, it includes unlimited talk and text--which I did not have on my old plan. I can also use my iPhone now as a hotspot as part of the feature. So far, I am pleased.

OP
P

Pwilkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Boy, I need to call them! The Verizon stores here are SO jammed with people all the time, I'll take my chances over the phone, at least I can multi-task while on hold. I wonder if I need my hubbys' iPad in front of me when I switch plans...I have his data number here (he's in FL until Monday) and both my daughters are gone until the holidays, they have the iPhones.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Boy, I need to call them! The Verizon stores here are SO jammed with people all the time, I'll take my chances over the phone, at least I can multi-task while on hold. I wonder if I need my hubbys' iPad in front of me when I switch plans...I have his data number here (he's in FL until Monday) and both my daughters are gone until the holidays, they have the iPhones.

When I called-I called in the evening. It wasn't too long of a wait. I ended up changing the plan online. One thing, if you do change your plan--make it effective for the next billing cycle. Otherwise you will get prorated charges added onto your bill. Fortunately, when I switched plans my cycle was ending about a week out. So I didn't have to wait too long.

I also learned from the Verizon rep that the activation fee is waived if you add your device online yourself making sure you do it on a Friday night. I haven't done that yet, but made sure to take notes so when I do do this. The activation fee is $35-which is a 1-time fee.

Well, I just set my iPhone as a hotspot now and tethered it to my iPad at home. Worked like a charm! I am moving away from my Virgin Mobile hotspot I bought a few years ago. Great device, very reliable except for just recently. I also am a little disappointed as to how they change their rates on a monthly basis and is getting a little bit expensive now. So hopefully this new plan will be more effective for my needs.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I cancelled the 1 GB plan on my Ipad 3 since it went to my husband and he doesn't want cell. I had to initiate a new plan on my Ipad Air with my other email addy but selected the same 1 GB for $20 as before. I'd call Verizon and ask about it. We still have a grandfathered Verizon contract with a 4S and another non data phone with unlimited data and I didn't want to add the Ipad which would have meant changing to shared data. I also prefer buying it ON the ipad since I can change amounts, add (it basically rolls over and I've only had to do that once--3 days short of my normal period) plus have a personal hotspot when we are traveling.

OP
P

Pwilkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I called-I called in the evening. It wasn't too long of a wait. I ended up changing the plan online. One thing, if you do change your plan--make it effective for the next billing cycle. Otherwise you will get prorated charges added onto your bill. Fortunately, when I switched plans my cycle was ending about a week out. So I didn't have to wait too long.

I also learned from the Verizon rep that the activation fee is waived if you add your device online yourself making sure you do it on a Friday night. I haven't done that yet, but made sure to take notes so when I do do this. The activation fee is $35-which is a 1-time fee.

Well, I just set my iPhone as a hotspot now and tethered it to my iPad at home. Worked like a charm! I am moving away from my Virgin Mobile hotspot I bought a few years ago. Great device, very reliable except for just recently. I also am a little disappointed as to how they change their rates on a monthly basis and is getting a little bit expensive now. So hopefully this new plan will be more effective for my needs.

I did the entire process on the phone with them, they even conferenced called my husband in Florida, instructing him how to cancel his prepay contract. Now the entire family is sharing 6gb, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and I am saving $30/month overall. Now my daughters don't have to be watching their gb consumption daily, as my husband and I rarely use the 1gb we each and previously.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did the entire process on the phone with them, they even conferenced called my husband in Florida, instructing him how to cancel his prepay contract. Now the entire family is sharing 6gb, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and I am saving $30/month overall. Now my daughters don't have to be watching their gb consumption daily, as my husband and I rarely use the 1gb we each and previously.

That's wonderful news--especially the $30 dollar savings coming out of it, Pwilkins! For me and my husband, 4gb is way plenty! I get close to a gb/month, but he never gets close at all. I also use the verizon app and can check the data consumption for each line. That is very useful to see where you are in your month cycle!

Have fun!! :)

Most reactions