What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those of you who DIDN'T have any problems upgrading to IOS 5.....

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a little bonus for everyone.... I heard today in our news thread that Apple served 25,000,000 copies of IOS5 over the weekend. Yes, that's right 25 Million!
Personally I think that it is a miracle that the vast majority of us had such a good experience...

So, I asked Siri, what "25,000,000 times 700MB was expressed in PetaBytes?" and to my delight she answered quick as a flash - 17.5! Awesome...

Over 17.5 petabytes of bandwidth just for IOS downloads alone... No doubt much more than that now...!

bf84c7b6.jpg

Last edited:

Tomscave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose the "downloaded Only" option for the ios5 update for mine and my girlfriends iPhone 4's and iPad 2"s. I then waited until the following morning to do the install and all went flawlessly for the installs on all 4 iDevices.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose the "downloaded Only" option for the ios5 update for mine and my girlfriends iPhone 4's and iPad 2"s. I then waited until the following morning to do the install and all went flawlessly for the installs on all 4 iDevices.

That's what I did for my iPad and my wife's iPad.

Seems that may be the secret, download it first and the manually initiate the update.

ricksipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 1, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3gs upgraded with no difficulty. The 3GS download was taking forever thru iTunes, so I just downloaded the file directly from the apple server and did a shift restore.

aawevers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did the move to IOS5 last Friday with the "download only" option and installed once the file was in.
I first started upgrading my iPhone4 and was impressed that the installation sequence started a back-up first. Then I got the "oh no" feeling when iTunes indicated that the device started to do a full restore. When the iPhone started asking me for location and language at first start-up after the restore process,I was convinced that I had lost all data and apps. However and to my surprise, the installation of IOS5 had completed flawlessly and all apps and data were there. Amazing!
I quickly followed the same procedure for my iPad1 and iPad2 (both 64/3G) and also these updates ran without any problems or loss of data/apps.

Afterwards, I had to wrestle a little with the firewall settings of my PC to get the WiFi sync with iTunes to work - that obviously has nothing to do with Apple or this upgrade to IOS5.

So overall I am very happy with the way this upgrade went - extremely happy if I also factor in the zero cost for this upgrade!

André

andysmfc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated the day after the release and never had a single problem went absolutely perfect ... Was worried after reading the horror stories but mine went smoothly

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I upgraded the day it was released, sometime around 2:30pm EST. The whole process took 2-3 hours start to finish, minor issues mainly caused by me being to impatient. I have an iPad 1.

lisacg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flawless update for me too ! Took about 40 minutes (borrowed a little bit of High speed from the office) :) I was a little worried because of all of the negative feedback flying around and was pleasantly surprised that I had zero issues ! Now time to play !

MoSande

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My update was flawless, albeit slow due to network saturation. I had difficulty with a few app -incompatibility issue which were fixed with upgrades within days.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem at all for me. I think it took a little over an hour to actually get it downloaded. The option to backup to iCloud was not used by me. Upgrading on the first available day seemed to me to be when most problems were seen. The next morning was when I upgraded.

djmackphunk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded before it was released publicly and didn't have any issues whatsoever .

Most reactions

Latest posts