What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Impressions of iOS 5 from an iPad 1 User

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Updating was painfully and took about 3 hours. I am looking forward to a direct update next time.

It took so long becuase I had to download and install iTunes 10.x first, back up the iPad anew, download and install iOS 5, restore everything to the iPad and THEN wait for about 15 apps to update for iOS 5 compatibility.

There was a worrying message indicating that there was no iPad backup on my PC and that I would loose all my apps and data during the upgrade. I knew that there was a backup so I went ahead anyway.

Apart from the above, it went without a hitch.

So far I like:-

Folders for photos. A simple enough enhancement but welcome.
The potential of iCloud, although I haven't really explored it yet.
A global setting for AirPlay to ATV. I REALLY wish the mirroring was available on iPad 1.

No doubt I will discover some more goodies over the next few weeks.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 update took about an hour and a half despite upgrading OSX Lion in parallel. No pain my end.....just plenty of tea whilst downloading, backing up, etc. I started mine as soon as the updates were released so I had no fear created by any horror stories before I started.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I've had a massive learning curve over my iPad and now hubby's 3GS. I realise now that they were both corrupted sometime during the process. The IOS5 downloaded fine it was getting all the music etc... back that has taken most of the last three days of my life away! The synching ability was taken away from both no matter how many times I tried resynching, backing up and restoring. So I took the plunge and restored to factory settings. The iPad is good to go and probably looking on the bright side got rid of some rubbish data as well as the good stuff. I knew they were corrupted because when you look at the bar showing how many apps, books, music etc... the mysterious yellow other bar took the GB amount into stratosphere and even deleting media never got rid of it. I know now that it is saved data from various things but 16GB + is extreme when it wasn't there before the process.

I digress - the synching of documents is great
The photo album ability to create folders and delete at random is fantastic
The shortcuts on the keyboard in settings - general - keyboard is a lifesaver- no more changing my hell word to he'll etc...
I love the split keyboard and will definitely try using thumbs
NOTIFICATIONS - is great! I love the ability to see at one stroke, what is waiting for me to do and of course that includes reminders which is perfect because I have my daughters 17th birthday today so I used reminders for getting loads of shopping stuff - memory is a problem with as some of you know!
I love seeing all my mags in the news stand - altogether
iMessage - what a brilliant addition, I have overused this with my best mate on here, who bless him helped me with the above problems, you are a lifesaver and a god, Gab, but don't get a big head!!
The iPod app looks good and you know how I love music.
The iCloud for me is troublesome because I have a large media file so finding 5GB to fit is going to be hard. My books and photos are easily that already so need I say more.
I love the safari app, it works seamlessly. Not sure if the reader thing works but I'm sure someone will tell me if it does on ipad1
Can't think of any others so I'm hoping someone will tell me.
Great thread by the way and I hope I haven't bored anyone with my prattle....:eek:

iPaReviews

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me the iOS 5 download only took around 1.30 hours which wasn't to bad. I still have an iPad 1st generation. So it took around 30 mins to install and backup.

However as soon as I wanted to try out the new 'gestures feature' it didn't work and so that was a letdown. I searched it on the Internet and, with iPads, features are only available on the iPad 2. Well not to bad considering the other features available anyway.

So far everything from iMessage to the Notification Centre is running smoothly. However I also still have not really experienced iCloud at its full potential.

Thanx

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice write up Hayles. You had such a rough time, its a shame you had to restore after it all, but I'm glad it's all sorted for you now. Thank you for all your observations thus far, I haven't had the time as yet to really play with everything, so you've given me some ideas. Thanks again

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you very much, Leelai. You have made me feel better already. It's very difficult to remember everything. I'm still restoring the 3GS.

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've come to love my first gen but a bit disappointed with not having the Multi gestures, I upgraded from a jailbroken 4.3.3 and the added gestures were nice. I upgraded just as the new iOS was available and it took about 3hrs start to finish. I do like the photo folders and new safari. As far as the iCloud and wireless syncing, I'm still trying to figure it all out, a bit confusing.

We'll see how it goes, I need to spend some time with the new iOS before passing judgement, so far some nice enhancements but time will tell.

dazeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The initial update took me about 4 hours. I think that was due to high traffic on the release date.

So far I really like the iCloud. It actually restored music I had purchased on a laptop that crashed and I never had backed up. That was a nice surprise!

I have yet to figure out the messaging app. I think perhaps it's not available as I do not have the cellular service turned on on my iPad at this time.

Forgetful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far, the new features seem OK. Nothing spectacular, and I might not have bothered upgrading, had I known.

I'm into a second day of upgrading to iOS 5, because I have five Apple gadgets. It's taking forever to restore my music to each device, because I have nearly 35 GBs of it.

MaggieSue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish I never saw this 'upgrade'. I lost all my emails & the contents of my photo files in the great sync. It took better than 3 hours to do the deed & now I have this mess.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I had to wait several hours for authenication, I like iOS5. Like anything else, it will take me a while to get used to it, but hopefully I will do so before iOS6.

carl 11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad was wiped clean. I re- Dled all of the apps from Istore, BUT not one of my playlists and music has synced. I am trying to figure out how to get my old itunes music folder to load..........so far, big thumbs down, not what I expect from Apple, at all.

Plus the podcast interface is tiny, I liked the old screen PLUS what happened to the old 30 second rewind button?

Most reactions

Latest posts