What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple issues with iPad after iOS 5.1 Upgrade

cinder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,
I attempted to do the 5.1 upgrade earlier today, and in the middle of it iTunes reported an error (which I stupidly did not write down) and I assume the upgrade stopped. When I had a look at the iPad, it had the little Apple symbol with the progress bar which seemed to be at 0%. Alas I could not get a response from the iPad so I had to press the on button with the home button until it restarted. When I went into iTunes, it informed me that the iPad was in restore mode, did I wish to restore it. I said I did (figured I had to?). It performed the restore BUT iTunes stays on the 'Setup your iPad' page and the only options being 'Set up a new iPad' or 'Restore from backup'. The problem I am finding is that only quite recent backups show up, they seem to be AFTER I have restored the iPad. So that's one problem I have.

When I try to use the iPad, the only thing that identifies it as my iPad is the JPEG background. None of my apps are there, none of my photos or music. Only the standard apps. Since iOS 5.0 upgrade happened, I have been syncing to iCloud. I've realised (NOW) that iCloud only provides 5GB of storage and therefore not everything could possibly have been backing up. I can live with this, after all, my photos and music are all on the PC still. But why aren't my downloaded/purchased apps at least there?

In the iPad under Settings, it says it's at iOS 5.0.1.

I think something is majorly broken, and I'm an Apple noob. Sorry. Help please?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,
I attempted to do the 5.1 upgrade earlier today, and in the middle of it iTunes reported an error (which I stupidly did not write down) and I assume the upgrade stopped. When I had a look at the iPad, it had the little Apple symbol with the progress bar which seemed to be at 0%. Alas I could not get a response from the iPad so I had to press the on button with the home button until it restarted. When I went into iTunes, it informed me that the iPad was in restore mode, did I wish to restore it. I said I did (figured I had to?). It performed the restore BUT iTunes stays on the 'Setup your iPad' page and the only options being 'Set up a new iPad' or 'Restore from backup'. The problem I am finding is that only quite recent backups show up, they seem to be AFTER I have restored the iPad. So that's one problem I have.

When I try to use the iPad, the only thing that identifies it as my iPad is the JPEG background. None of my apps are there, none of my photos or music. Only the standard apps. Since iOS 5.0 upgrade happened, I have been syncing to iCloud. I've realised (NOW) that iCloud only provides 5GB of storage and therefore not everything could possibly have been backing up. I can live with this, after all, my photos and music are all on the PC still. But why aren't my downloaded/purchased apps at least there?

In the iPad under Settings, it says it's at iOS 5.0.1.

I think something is majorly broken, and I'm an Apple noob. Sorry. Help please?
Nothing is broken. It sounds like the update failed, probably a timeout. A backup is always created prior to updates/upgrades. Go ahead and restore your your iPad from the most recent backup:

1. Before connecting your iPad open iTunes > Preferences > Devices > Check/enable "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically".
2. Connect your iPad to your computer and open iTunes. If, when you connect your iPad to your computer it begins a backup, immediately click on the small "X" on the far right-hand side of the progress bar at the top of iTunes.
3. Right-click or Control-click on your iPad (listed in the liTunes sidebar).
4. Click on "Restore from backup"
5. In the pop-up ensure that you pick your iPad from the drop-down list (if you have more than one device associated).

More here:

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

Last edited:
OP
C

cinder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rich,
Like I said, all the restore backup options that come up are from after the upgrade failed. Even though it says underneath 'last backed up: Today 9:50am', the only ones that appear in the drop down are 3:33pm, 3:57pm and 4:27pm. The next one under that is 4th July!!

OP
C

cinder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering, I had to set up the iPad as a new device to get around this, and then sync everything from scratch.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm so glad you were able to work it out. I hope everything is good now, thanks for sharing what you had to do though!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering, I had to set up the iPad as a new device to get around this, and then sync everything from scratch.
That's what I was going to suggest as a next step. It's too bad that the backup was corrupted, the OP said he had some photos and such.

Melvyn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You were lucky. My upgrade failed and the iPad completely hung up. If I turn it on I get a picture of a USB plug with an upward arrow pointing to the itunes logo. I've tried the two buttons (power and home buttons held for 10 seconds) but the iPad turns off and comes back to the same picure of the USB plug with the iTunes logo. the machine is completely unusable. Anyone know a solution?

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad and the update was fine with out any problems. iPad was fine after update. I did this update before updating to the latest iTunes.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Last edited:

ewajane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad OS 5.1.1 upgrade

I am in the same situation as Melvyn, nothing works and my iTunes does not recognize my iPad. I am out of country and completely lost in what to do!!! Help

Most reactions

Latest posts