What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FINALLY!!! Charge your IPad from any computer

swelson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip

painless and fast too!!
now i can plug it in for charging within arms reach:D

josun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most computers do charge ipad, albeit slowly, when the screen is off but I wonder how faster it charges.

Last edited:

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My unofficial tests:

Wall Charger: 1% per minute
Updated USB: 1% every 5 minutes
Old USB speed: 1% every 15 minutes

r34p3rex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFAIK, this AI Charger program sits in the tray awaiting the connection of any apple device. When you plug one in, it will send 1.2 amps through that USB port instead of the standard 500mA, thus allowing your iPad to be charged :)

I don't know about the long term affects of delivering this much power through a USB port though..

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was also wondering about the long term effects of sending more power through the USB ports on some lower end motherboards not designed for such power requirements, and also if extra heat will be produced

PMudditt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only problem I spotted on my Dell Precision WINXP to using the ASUS software (which now charges my IPad) is that it does not like the PC going into hibernation and fails to come out of hibernation properly.

Last edited:

Deus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not trying to scare anyone here but please know what you are getting into. This may not work or.... it may kill your PC. Dig around da google and you will find posts from the casualties. Not all of them because..wel...they have no computer to reply from! Again, I am happy to hear of all the success, but just know that there IS a risk.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am confused why not charge the ipad from the wall socket using the power unit instead of using a pc it's easier the only reason I have used my computer in past 3 weeks is to backup the ipad and upload some music and that was only 2 times I never use it for charging same on my iPhone

Cheers col

iTazm0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Answering my own question and a small FYI to anyone curious... I installed this software on my Asus eeepc 1005HA (with an atom n280cpu) and it worked! My netbooks USB ports can now charge the iPad.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am confused why not charge the ipad from the wall socket using the power unit instead of using a pc it's easier the only reason I have used my computer in past 3 weeks is to backup the ipad and upload some music and that was only 2 times I never use it for charging same on my iPhone

Cheers col
So you can sync/charge from the same dock.

Most reactions

Latest posts