What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you regret not getting 3G?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tether with my iPhone 4 so only got the 3G model. No problem with tethering for me... and calls don't stop the iPhone from being a hot spot.

However, I do miss not having true GPS. I hadn't really thought that one through. I am jailbroken though so if it gets really important I can use a $50 bluetooth gps puck.

Michael

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have helped me this week. I'm certain that I will be selling my Kindle to buy a 32 gb iPad from the Apple Store. The last part of the equation is wifi or wifi with 3G. Many have said they love the 3G because it helps them in spots without wifi. Others have told me that it's a waste of money since my house is wifi and I am home more than not.

I want to know if anyone without 3G regrets that decision and find themselves in empty spots without wifi, whether it's at work, traveling, or a friend's house.

Thanks again!

The best way to make up your mind is for your to ask yourself this question:

"Do I really need a 3G model? Do I often end up out of range of Wi-Fi and have a need to access the Internet? Can whatever it is I want to do wait until I get to a hotspot or until I get home and use my Wi-Fi?"

Have you ever been anywhere where there is no Wi-Fi and you really, really, really needed to access the Internet?

Would you be happy to wait until you get home and use your own Wi-Fi or use a hotspot?

Hope this helps?

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did not get 3G, but do sometime wish I had the capability for always being able to connect, either 3G or miFi (I only have an Aircard from Verizon at the moment).

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 64 gb wi-fi version and don't regret it at all. Most places outside my home that I frequent have wi-fi. I also bought a prepaid mi-fi from Virgin Mobile for traveling and such. This worked nicely and my sister was also able to use it for her iPod Touch.

Drak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have the 64gb 3G, paid for the 3G for the first month and have not used it since, Wi-Fi at home and at work so no need to use it

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totally regret spending thnextra $130 on 3G. Should have gotten extra GB. Haven't used it once in 5 months, and buying a Virgin Mobile mi fi makes the 3G redundant. I won't make this mistake again when I upgrade to the new model in the new year.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had wifi only and a blackberry phone which means no hotspot option....lots of wifi in the area anyway....then my best friend got a 3G and I got jealous so I sold my wifi and bought 3G. Yes, I use it here and there, it's never beem a necessity but it has come in handy....now I have an android phone with potential to hotspot...so, yeah...

gregg37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I broadcast my own 3G free from my rooted EVO. Why would I pay for 3G service on a tablet even if I didn't?

bookoffers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me there's nothing to regrets. The course is you are always inside the house with Wi fi connection the only thing that you need to have 3G is when you are out.

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to buy a 3g, but then found out AT&T wouldn't sell me service anyway, since they say I don't receive a signal at my house (even though my sister can now use her AT&T phone at my house when visiting). So I spent the money on more memory instead. I don't regret it. I have Wi-Fi at home and work, and most times can find a hot spot when I'm out. When I can't, my android phone does fine for most things, just on a smaller screen, and I can always use the hot spot capability on the phone if I need to. Why pay twice for the same thing?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to buy a 3g, but then found out AT&T wouldn't sell me service anyway, since they say I don't receive a signal at my house (even though my sister can now use her AT&T phone at my house when visiting). So I spent the money on more memory instead. I don't regret it. I have Wi-Fi at home and work, and most times can find a hot spot when I'm out. When I can't, my android phone does fine for most things, just on a smaller screen, and I can always use the hot spot capability on the phone if I need to. Why pay twice for the same thing?
That just reminded me of something.... a potential benefit to using another 3G device to feed 3G to the iPad....

I was over a family members house for Thanksgiving day last week. The AT&T signal there is marginal, at best--mainly due to the house itself. So I could barely pick up a 3G signal with my iPhone 4 unless I was right by a window. Had my iPad there and someone wanted to see Safari.

At that time I had no AT&T data at all with my iPhone 4. So I placed on a windowsill where it had solid 3G signal and fired up MyWi on it. Presto, my iPad now had good Internet and I was using it where a 3G signal was not picked up by my iPhone--so presumably not by an iPad 3G either. So the iPhone was basically not just for tethering, it acted as a "repeater" of sorts too. :)

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts