What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
I don't see any point in 3G models. If you have any smart phone, with suitable app, you can turn it into Wifi hotspot. Then simply connect your iPad.

Yes, but for one, that is tedious. And if you go overseas, you have to change your phone SIM, or incur heavy Roaming charges. I would rather keep my cell# the same and instead swap the ipad's sim to a local one. That seems to be a better solution to me.
It's not tedious at all. I go into settings on my iPhone, under Personal Hotspot, I flick the button to "on". I only had to put the security password in the iPad once. I tap "iPhone" under available networks, and I'm done. :confused:
Agreed. I'm never without my cell when mobile so it is just a matter of turning of my hotspot (mine is free since it is a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon) and the iPad automatically connects to it as it does when I'm at home.

I don't like public/open wifi hotspots because of security concerns.

That said, I do agree that an iPad with SIM would make sense if you travel internationally. I don't but my next iPad will be 3G (or 4G) capable.

david rodriguez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nobody wants 3G tablets because nobody wants to pay for the 3G data, according to an IDG analyst.

Speaking to ComputerWorld, IDG analyst Bob O’Donnell said that ”hundreds of thousands” of 3G tablets are sitting on shelves and in supply chains gathering dust because “nobody wants to pay for that data.” The solution, according to O’Donnell, is for carriers to allow people to use a single data plan across multiple devices.

This makes sense. A lot of sense. I can understand how carriers see the boom in mobile devices as a massive cash cow, and that the idea of selling multiple data plans to one person owning both a smartphone and a tablet is hugely compelling, but data plans are expensive and people are smart. People realize that they’re paying twice for something that in reality they shouldn’t need to. The ideal situation would be to pay for the data you think you’ll consume over a month and then be able to use that across multiple devices.

A simple way that carriers could offer this is to make tethering (that is, setting up a WiFi hotspot using a smartphone or tablet) cheaper. It makes no sense (from a consumer point of view at any rate) for customers to be billed more than a token amount for this service. The argument given against offering this feature is network saturation, but a GB is a GB is a GB, and if people are burning through data faster than previously then either their quote won’t last the whole month (which could mean juicy overage fees for the carrier) or they will need to upgrade to a bigger plan.

Then there’s the difference in usage between smartphones and tablets. It makes sense for a smartphone to have a 3G connection because people use them while on the move. Tablets on the other hand, are less likely to be used on the move and more likely to be whipped out in places where people will have access to WiFi … at home, at the office, in a coffee shop. People aren’t going to pay big bucks for a data connection they only get around to using infrequently.

I’m going to throw another reason why sales of 3G tablets are sluggish … carrier dissatisfaction. On the whole it seems that people are dissatisfied with their current carrier (no matter who their carrier is …), and this is making people reluctant to give their current carrier more money. While there’s a certain level ‘the grass is greener on the other side’ feeling, and folks feel they might be better off with a different carrier, they aren’t motivated enough to do that either. This is where unlocked tablets come in and could allow people to pick and choose between carriers.

If manufacturers want to sell 3G tablets, they need to get creative with how to sell that data plan.

Bibifrine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No 3G means no GPS

I like to use my IPad anywhere without setting up tethered connection to my Android before and what is mor important to me is, that I am using my IPad as a navigation system In my Camper. Like I mention already in the title, no 3G = no GPS.
By the way I am using my IPad with a prepaid Simyo sim Card in Germany and I pay 3,99 € per month for data flat.
:):):)

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
david rodriguez said:
Ok this was a reported written on this, not my thinking. I have and wanted a 3G model.

Many would agree with you..

I find the above article non-noteworthy when all you can find on shelves in my neck of the woods is wifi only iPads etc....

I do / definitely agree with his shared "single data plan" idea and or free tethering however.

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, 3G has been worth it. I'll admit though that I am probably unique here in that I have a pretty dumb phone, so tethering is out of the question.

I have the 1GB plan from Verizon and I seem to use about 25% of that each month. While that doesn't seem like a lot, it is still quite useful to have it during my commute.

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 the 32g wifi+ 3g. I have used the 3g. I perfer to use it when I' traveling.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've no interest in tethering my two iPads to my iPhone. I have unlimited 3G on iPad and iPhone and like the flexibility, whether I'm in the U.S. or overseas.

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like to use my IPad anywhere without setting up tethered connection to my Android ...

... By the way I am using my IPad with a prepaid Simyo sim Card in Germany and I pay 3,99 € per month for data flat.
:):):)

Ditto except for the price. :(

I've got a Simyo microsim card + free adapter and a generous monthly 5GB plan in Barcelona, Ispain, Europe and the ability to change it to any of my computers or smartphones, here or abroad since I don't live full year in the same country. I pay for what I use and my 3G ipad is wonderful for that. I can check my emails or download anything I need over any platform. Even travelling late at night on the underground.

I knew what I wanted and got it. As many many of you. Freedom of choice! :D

MacDevo

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jennifer0 said:
iPhone and iPad 3G owners: Do you feel that you get a lot of use out of your iPad's 3G, or do you feel that you don't use it much since you have the iPhone? iPhone and iPad Wi-Fi owners: Do you wish you had 3G on your iPad even though you have an iPhone, or do you find it to not be a problem?

I got my iPhone first and fell in love with it and all it could do but as my phone is one of many hooked up to our business plan I only get 400 mb of data a month. But I found it tedious being on the net on my phone as the screen was too small. Since getting my iPad 2 64g wifi+3G it's taken it to a whole new level. I travel both here and overseas and want to know that I can access the Internet wherever I am. I have a prepaid sim with prices starting from $20 a month for 1gig. I just top it up when I know I'll be traveling and it's been great. Before buying my iPad I deliberated for a while on the 3G option on whether I would really need it and I didn't know how much I would be using my iPad, but I am so glad I did get it.

Shutterbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wrestled with the cost/utility arguement before getting my iPad 2 with 3G. Finally I decided to 'go for it' and I am so glad I did! I mostly use wi-fi to be sure, but at that one time I can't get wi-fi and I want to look something up or d/l something 3G lets me keep going! I was afraid 3G would have marginal utility but here where I live it's turned out to be a boon.

jimkleen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has been very useful having the 3G iPad, just for the reason of traveling. I as well primarily use wifi most of the time. We own two iPads one 32G and the 64G, don't know what we would do without them. You made the right choice.....

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jimkleen said:
It has been very useful having the 3G iPad, just for the reason of traveling. I as well primarily use wifi most of the time. We own two iPads one 32G and the 64G, don't know what we would do without them. You made the right choice.....

I'm so glad u think it's worth it ,I paid the extra £100 for 3 g, because I will travel home to Australia and hope to pick up a sim when I'm there and had no laptop to take with me. So I'm am looking forward to the next trip home with my iPad and hope the data prices are good lol

HTMLEgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
htmlegg.aidaluu.com
I have 3G but have only been using it a couple times, had to pay for a data plan too.

I have mixed feelings about it. If you're always around places that have wifi, a non 3G is probably good enough. But then you think, but what if that one time comes aroundwhen you need to take it camping or something, and it can't pick up a 3G networks. haha

Most reactions

Latest posts