What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you regret not purchasing 3G/4G

Do you regret not purchasing 3G/4G

• You regret NOT purchasing 3G/4G

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Your happy with Wifi only

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Your happy with 3G

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • You regret purchasing 3G/4G

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Kenstephens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In Australia the decision to go wifi only is easier because 4G doesn't work here. What caught me out was I didn't realise that no 4G meant no gps either.

As far as network access goes, outside of wifi cover tethering with my iPhone avoids another data plan and works great.

Ken

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oklahoma is considered a backwater state, but I traveled from central to NE Oklahoma, including a bunch of long rural stretches. Other than a couple of small dead spots, I had 4G coverage the whole way. But when I got into Kansas, coverage was low quality Edge service.

My thinking:
If you spend a lot of time on the road, go 4G
If you keep your iPad at home or where there is wifi, you do not have to have 4G.

Last edited:

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are dozens of LTE cities across the U.S.

Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Markets

AT&T 4G LTE - Get 4G Speed with AT&T 4G LTE & 4G HSPA+ (Click "Coverage.")
Those are the exact links I consulted before posting. Okay I didn't check Verizon - theyre impressive but as far as AT&T goes the term "dozens" is completely inaccurate. Those maps prove my point. There are indeed "scores" of 4G non-LTE cities as in the dark blue with the AT&T maps but those are not true 4G speeds. AT&T is borrowing that term in a bit of false advertising. And those "4G" cities are no more than any of us have available to us on our phones right now that register "3G" on our screens.

My only point to the original poster was to not make speed of LTE your reason to purchase a new iPad with 4G. As it will be a long time before true LTE comes to 90% of iPad 3+4G users.

Last edited:

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wasn't sure I needed it but when I did I was glad I had it. All 3 of my units have had 3/4g.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the past I just turned it on for vacationing and long car rides. So when it came time to buy a 3 I decided to get the 4G just in case. It's also very nice in the car when wifi isn't really an option.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those are the exact links I consulted before posting. Okay I didn't check Verizon - theyre impressive but as far as AT&T goes the term "dozens" is completely inaccurate. Those maps prove my point. There are indeed "scores" of 4G non-LTE cities as in the dark blue with the AT&T maps but those are not true 4G speeds. AT&T is borrowing that term in a bit of false advertising. And those "4G" cities are no more than any of us have available to us on our phones right now that register "3G" on our screens.

My only point to the original poster was to not make speed of LTE your reason to purchase a new iPad with 4G. As it will be a long time before true LTE comes to 90% of iPad 3+4G users.

Not sure why you're arguing what's clearly shown in the coverage map and list. There are dozens of -- actually more than 200 -- 4G cities between AT&T and Verizon across the country.

The flavor of 4G that Apple is touting is what those carriers are providing. And lots of 4G customers are raving about their speeds, so they're clearly not getting the same 3G that they were on iPad 1 and 2, or you're saying they're all delusional and cooking up faster speeds.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure why you're arguing what's clearly shown in the coverage map and list. There are dozens of -- actually more than 200 -- 4G cities between AT&T and Verizon across the country.

The flavor of 4G that Apple is touting is what those carriers are providing. And lots of 4G customers are raving about their speeds, so they're clearly not getting the same 3G that they were on iPad 1 and 2, or you're saying they're all delusional and cooking up faster speeds.
Surely you know that what people report is anecdotal and not an indicator of the facts. Just read the new iPad screen threads and you'll see how perception can really muck up the waters. To be honest with the thread here Verizon has about 120 cities but AT&T has only about 30 cities. Many major cities are missing on AT&T's map. The other question I would have is how far does the LTE coverage actually extend out from the city limits. When AT&T rolled out 3G originally you got full 3G speeds only within the city limits but it didn't even reach out to the closest suburbs. I wonder if anyone could report on that phenomenon here. Do any of you with the Verizon or AT&T coverage on your iPad get the LTE insignia in suburbs of the cities?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Surely you know that what people report is anecdotal and not an indicator of the facts. Just read the new iPad screen threads and you'll see how perception can really muck up the waters. To be honest with the thread here Verizon has about 120 cities but AT&T has only about 30 cities. Many major cities are missing on AT&T's map. The other question I would have is how far does the LTE coverage actually extend out from the city limits. When AT&T rolled out 3G originally you got full 3G speeds only within the city limits but it didn't even reach out to the closest suburbs. I wonder if anyone could report on that phenomenon here. Do any of you with the Verizon or AT&T coverage on your iPad get the LTE insignia in suburbs of the cities?

Lol, do you imagine that people are paying for 4G and getting 3G and there's not already some lawyer rounding them up for a lawsuit?

From the Verizon link alone:

As of March 15, our 4G LTE network covers more than 200 million people in 203 markets across the United States. Below is a list of current 4G LTE markets. Stay tuned for updates.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pianoman said:

This entire region in upstate SC is more rural than city, yet I get LTE over the 40 miles from my house to my office. But I don't know how thoroughly covered the region is, but Verizon does show the coverage on their maps. Based on what I have seen so far, I'm inclined to believe they are accurate. But I have seen speeds range from 5-20 Mbps down and up. This is a screenshot I took yesterday morning about halftway between work and home (in the parking lot of McDonalds, where I get coffee).

IMG_0683.png

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This entire region on upstate SC is more rural than city, yet I get LTE over the 40 miles from my house to my office. But I don't know how thoroughly covered the region is, but Verizon does show the coverage on their maps. Based on what I have seen so far, I'm inclined to believe they are accurate. But I have seen speeds range from 5-20 Mbps down and up.

They'd be crazy to misrepresent speeds, because speeds are easily testable.

Their competitors and others constantly do speed tests and are ready to create legal and marketing probs for them if they find anything off. Carriers also are regulated.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Granitetop said:
Good morning friends,
I have just read the new members introduction page and already have found answers to some of my thoughts. I have a question regarding more opinion than a problem, I have just purchased a ipad 3 with wifi only i have not opened the box, my question is; do many people have regrets not having purchased the 3g models when they have wifi only? Most of the time I am near wifi but i have a 10 year old son that would love to use it plus I have a heating and air business and I imagine the pad would allow me to show home owners things on the internet when I am talking with them. I do not like the idea of another phone bill and i do not understand the data plans. I am in Charlotte NC and I am 50 years old I am ok with computers but I did not grow up with them, any info will be helpful and thank you.

I opted for the 4g, my first ipad was 3g. I would rather have it just incase I need it, because you can just go back and get it later.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They'd be crazy to misrepresent speeds, because speeds are easily testable.

Their competitors and others constantly do speed tests and are ready to create legal and marketing probs for them if they find anything off. Carriers also are regulated.
the fact remains that AT&T only offers true 4G LTE in very few cities. The area on the AT&T maps marked in dark blue that has the key lettering 4G is just their Quasi 4G which is only a fast 3G speed. SkullOne does a nice exposing of the AT&T 4G myth over in the iPhone forum. It's worth reading. I'm picking up my Verizon iPad 3 today. Verizon, for obvious reasons. :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the fact remains that AT&T only offers true 4G LTE in very few cities. The area on the AT&T maps marked in dark blue that has the key lettering 4G is just their Quasi 4G which is only a fast 3G speed. SkullOne does a nice exposing of the AT&T 4G myth over in the iPhone forum. It's worth reading. I'm picking up my Verizon iPad 3 today. Verizon, for obvious reasons. :)

Why so hung up on AT&T? They can mind their own business, and if they can't, the market will take care of them.

I don't champion any carrier. I just use what works best for me, where I live and travel, and I'd expect anyone with sense to do likewise.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why so hung up on AT&T? They can mind their own business, and if they can't, the market will take care of them.

I don't champion any carrier. I just use what works best for me, where I live and travel, and I'd expect anyone with sense to do likewise.
The issue of a forum is to be informed, KayKay. Right? A post or so back you stated there were hundreds of cities covered by Verizon and AT&T. That was not an entirely accurate statement. I'm glad you taught me about Verizon. They have great LTE. But AT&T people are outta luck with LTE. That was important to point out as I did.

Most reactions