What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Upgrade to 3G or Not? Your help.

KBGFLA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received the wifi only iPad as a gift. Stuggling with the idea of upgrading to the 3G or keeping what I've got.

I would mainly be using my iPad at home and really don't want to shell out the extra $130. That said, I'd hate to open this new iPad and regret not upgrading. I would like the option to take it out with me if I want and not be limited.

I'd like to hear others thoughts and experiences to help me make my decision. Thank you :)

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 3G for those times where I might be traveling, either driving trips or not. No contracts needed so if I choose to buy 3G for a month I know I have the option. Also as someone has mentioned before, the resale value? Not so sure about that but it kinda makes sense.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have a 32gb wifi only, and i use wireless tethering app on my droid x (plus my phone is rooted) so i just turn the app on and find my wireless signal from my ipad and 3 g internet free from my phone with it beside me!

GaurhothW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me, the lack of GPS in the wifi model is a deal breaker. I have the 3G model and would be disappointed with out it.

I don't use the 3G much, but it is still convenient at times when i am traveling.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 64GB wifi only and bought a second 32 GB wifi for my husband. We do have a moblie hot spot on our phones but I bet we've only used it less than 1/2 a dz times since last May--mostly to use Maps (we do also have a GPS). But--it would probably depend upon where you live. Here in a small NC foothills city we have wifi everywhere from DT area to restaurants, some grocery stores, libraries, coffee shops, doctors offices, car repair shops LOL so I just can find free wifi almost all the time and I carry my Ipad all the time.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GPS and 3G is good, especially if you ever lose your iPad...

I think its worth the extra money if you're buying it as you are already spending a lot of money on an iPad so extra money for 3G Model is not that much of a difference really. But you got yours a gift so it's different. If you plan on traveling a lot or wanting to locate your iPad if you lose it or gets stolen, then 3G will be a good idea.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i switched and I'm glad I did though I know now that I could have lived without switching the 3g....but, yeah I'd still switch if I Had the same choice.

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dont u guys have phones with internet, u can tether almost anything, why give crappy att even more money. 16 wifi is all anybody needs everything after that is a waste money. If apple had a 500gb model people would justify some way that they need it. For some reason people feel better when they spend more on something than they have too. Im the opposite

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
phone with internet could wipe out the battery on the phone if you're out and about...like I was hanging out at the lake, surfed for a while on 3g, didn't have to worry about charging my phone, which doesn't get near as good a battery life as the ipad!

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received the wifi only iPad as a gift. Stuggling with the idea of upgrading to the 3G or keeping what I've got.

I would mainly be using my iPad at home and really don't want to shell out the extra $130. That said, I'd hate to open this new iPad and regret not upgrading. I would like the option to take it out with me if I want and not be limited.

I'd like to hear others thoughts and experiences to help me make my decision. Thank you :)

The only person who knows the answer to that question is actually you yourself.

You are free to ask others for their option on if you should go for the 3G model, but you are the right person to answer that question.

Ask yourself this:

"Have I got anywhere to go to that is out of range of Wi-Fi and I would be better off having a 3G model becuase I will be needing to access the Internet rather than to wait until I get back home? Will I be somewhere to go to, where there is no Wi-Fi and really, really need to access the Internet? Can whatever it is I want to do wait until I find the nearest Internet cafe or McDonalds with free Wi-Fi access?"

Presonally for myself, I will be going some places where there are no Wi-Fi and I know that I will really need to get on the Internet or use Google Maps so for me the 3G comes handy.

Do you feel the same thing? Well, as far as I know, you already answered your own question, you did say that you will mainly be using the iPad at home, I guess you may (or may not) have Wi-Fi at home.

Hope this helps?

Lucryster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dont u guys have phones with internet, u can tether almost anything, why give crappy att even more money. 16 wifi is all anybody needs everything after that is a waste money. If apple had a 500gb model people would justify some way that they need it. For some reason people feel better when they spend more on something than they have too. Im the opposite

I have the 64g wifi/3G model and no way is it a waste of money. I need the room for my music, pod books audio books and photos. A 16 gig would be useless for me.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If only using at home mainly, then you might find the extra $130 a waste if you truly never use it.
I bring my iPad to work every day, but not to use the internet on. For surfing, I only do that at home with it, and since I have an iPhone, there goes my 3G wherever I need it. I don't do heavy duty surfing in the field.
If you have the extra $130, it would be cool to retain the option, but if money is really tight-as you said, you plan to only use it at home. It really comes down to individual use. I can speak for myself of course, and I would never have gotten an extra data plan on it even if I was given the 3G. Mine was an early gift and I asked for wifi only

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once again, as Major Eazy said, you are the best person to answer the question.

My opinion is I wouldn't be without my 3G I love that I never have to worry about an internet connection. I can tether to my Evo but I just turn on my iPad and don't need to fumble with anything else.

I also travel lots so the GPS is invaluable to me. The big screen is VERY easy to see while driving.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

(Done from my iPad.)

Benm1020

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a smartphone you can just tether it when you need 3G this way you don't have 2 data bills

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to tether to my Blackberry Bold 9700?

Most reactions