What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you regret jailbreaking your iPad?

locus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
, why not go ahead jailbreak now then when OS4 comes out wait for the jailbreak then do it again ? I m sure many will be doing that just as I will.

Don't tempt me.:D

When OS4 comes out those that did JB, will have to do it again? How come?

Apple will release an upgrade and when you upgrade it close the jailbreak, one reason is that it is in Apples interest you get or buy everything from them using iTunes, shut down jailbreak and Cydia is out of commission, there are other reasons as well,

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a reason to jailbreak when Ios4 comes out because you still aren't able to do a lot of things in ios4 that you can do now with jb. For example ios4 doesn't leave an app truly running in the bg like the jb app "backgrounder"

I see.

Short answer NO. It helped me to understand a lot better how this device organize files. Thanks to that now I can read my mobi ebook collection in my iPad using the Kindle application.:D

I guess I don't deal with that many files like most.

Well the ones that post that their iPad was bricked is a small percentage of all who actually have done it since swipe to jailbreak came out at jailbreakme.com. But having said that Apple is about to release a patch to the pdf opening and once they do then the jailbreak site will no longer work and you will have to keep using your locked iPad until the new jailbreak is discovered. But for those who miss out on currently available method, it normally takes a couple of days for a new one to be found. :)

Is there more than one jailbreak option, then? Anyone can create new jailbreaks? Your post was very informative, thank you!

Apple will release an upgrade and when you upgrade it close the jailbreak, one reason is that it is in Apples interest you get or buy everything from them using iTunes, shut down jailbreak and Cydia is out of commission, there are other reasons as well,

So apple knows about cydia?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would think that if a bunch of people on an Internet forum know about it, I am pretty sure the folks at One Infinite Loop know about it! Hell, they are probably the ones writing it! Wouldn't that be a hoot!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've had to live with adolescents you know that rules and limits have to be broken of repelled. You don't throw the kids out for that, you live with it. Apple should know, they've been the rebels for so long... Their turn!:p

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a reason to jailbreak when Ios4 comes out because you still aren't able to do a lot of things in ios4 that you can do now with jb. For example ios4 doesn't leave an app truly running in the bg like the jb app "backgrounder"

I see.

Short answer NO. It helped me to understand a lot better how this device organize files. Thanks to that now I can read my mobi ebook collection in my iPad using the Kindle application.:D

I guess I don't deal with that many files like most.

Well the ones that post that their iPad was bricked is a small percentage of all who actually have done it since swipe to jailbreak came out at jailbreakme.com. But having said that Apple is about to release a patch to the pdf opening and once they do then the jailbreak site will no longer work and you will have to keep using your locked iPad until the new jailbreak is discovered. But for those who miss out on currently available method, it normally takes a couple of days for a new one to be found. :)

Is there more than one jailbreak option, then? Anyone can create new jailbreaks? Your post was very informative, thank you!

There have been a lot of different methods used to jb. Pwnage, spirit, iLiberty, and ZiPhone just to name a few.

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is also the Rock app which is similar to Cydia. Cydia is more of a "first Gen" app store of sorts, but I'm not sure on an iPad if it matters or is compatble yet.

In reply to original question, hell no! I wouldn't have my iPad any other way.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is also the Rock app which is similar to Cydia. Cydia is more of a "first Gen" app store of sorts, but I'm not sure on an iPad if it matters or is compatble yet.
Rock is compatible but if you're already running the Rock client on your iPhone you will have to create a new profile for your iPad.

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In reply to original question, hell no! I wouldn't have my iPad any other way.

Interesting. See, I would JB, if and only if, The Good Lord came down and said:

"Marie nothing will happen to your ipad if you JB. Nothing."

I would do it. But I am just too scared.:(

What are you scared about? Bricking your device?

If it gets bricked, all you do is restore it back to clean firmware.

All you do is put your iPad into DFU mode, when iTunes pops up and says that it has discovered an iPad in recovery mode, you hold the Alt key and click on the Restore button. From there you can search for the firmware that you downloaded and reinstall. The only annoying part is you'll have to re-sync everything that you had before, but that stuff should be saved via back-up through iTunes anyway.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gang - it's all personal and there isn't a right or a wrong answer. It's up to the individual owner and depends on their curiosity, skill level and patience. When I owned a Samsung Omnia I jailbroke the damned thing twice a week - once with every build. I enjoyed it.

I just, personally, don't have the same desire with my iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts