What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi only ipad. Regrets?

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No regrets here. At work I tether my Droid and I have Wifi at home. No extra 3G bill for me.

Reaction score
My first one was wifi only and I did miss gps with it but by the time Amazon got the GPS unit(Bad Elf) I was going to buy for it the Ipad had been replaced with a 3g one because the screen broke and they were out of wifi only models of the Ipad 1. I've yet to use or need to use 3g or hotspot off my phone.
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Tsuintx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was very clear for me from the beginning that I wanted the WiFi only. Like so many others, I did not want any extra charges to the already large AT&T bill. My wife and daughters are enough on that. My own phone is unlimited through my company, so I can use that if no WiFi is available.

Dlh1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like most everybody else, no regrets. I use my Ipad mostly at home. If I want to use it on the go I just tether to my Droid.

Rbraughn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was very clear for me from the beginning that I wanted the WiFi only. Like so many others, I did not want any extra charges to the already large AT&T bill. My wife and daughters are enough on that. My own phone is unlimited through my company, so I can use that if no WiFi is available.

My iPad is using pay as you go...it is not added to my AT&T bill, but to a credit card like iTunes if you will. Pay a month and stop it until needed again.

I can tell you I am typing this from a very upscale area in San Diego right now and the wifi reception is so slow I have had it turned off all week. If it wasn't for my 3G connection I would be furious.

If you can afford it get the 3G and only activate it when needed....

Oh yeah also I love the SD card reader. I have downloaded several hundred pictures from my nikon d7000 and it is awesome....:D

Last edited:

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny though-it all depends where you are for reception. 3G reception is some spots is slower than Wifi. So it really is location dependent according to whichever carrier one has selected.

Tsuintx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rbraughn said:
If you can afford it get the 3G and only activate it when needed....

Good to hear it works for you. The pay-as-you-go plan might've been an interesting option, but I just couldn't justify spending the extra 100 bucks, or what ever the difference was on the purchase price for the 3G. Not that there were any available, anyway, since I wanted one right away.

Maybe when the iPad3 comes along... Haha.

kensteele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the wifi version with my Ipad1. Never turned it on. Had to decide when making my Ipad2 purchase last week. Got the Verizon version. Sold my Ipad1 for about $100 more so I made up for it. Hoping to do the same when I sell Ipad2.

BeauB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theclip.com
Easy WIFI via T-Mobile w/ android 3G phone

If I turn on the WIFI hotspot in my T-Mob android 3G phone, I can connect the iPad to the net via my phone. This is handy when there is no WIFI. The best part? No AT&T or Verizon. (yet) Decent speed too.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If i lived in scandinavia, be it sweden, denmark, finland etc, i would have gone for the 3g model becuase they have excellent telecom insfrastructure. Here i had my iphone for several months and the 3g internet, although sufficient, was never brilliant. So more reason i ditched the idea of a 3g ipad

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So far no regrets ,I have the original iPad + a MiFi and find it easier when abroad to find a regular sim than a micro sim .
I wonder if mi MiFi will work whit 4G !?

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My first iPad was wifi + 3G, I only really used the 3G for about a few weeks while I was waiting for Internet to be activated at my student house.

For the iPad2 I opted for the wifi only version. My reasons are:

1) in my student city, there are many BT open zone hotspots and since my home Internet is with BT I can sign into any BT hotspot There seems to be loads around anywhere I got, which is great!

2) I don't really have any need for the GPS

3) I'll always have Internet access at home

4) I'm guessing 4G will hit the UK at some stage, and by then I'll probably be on the iPad 4/5 so doesn't seem much point spending the extra £100 for 3G on iPad 2

MsTapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered wifi only, then after a week called and changed to 3G. I'm so glad I did. My home wireless was out all weekend, but I could still surf on the ipad. And the wireless at work is secured, so I can't be online when I go into the office. Then there is riding the bus to work. Most important of all is time spent waiting - doctor appointments and other such places where you have to wait. Many places have free wireless, but not all of them. I want to use my ipad everywhere. I don't leave home without it.

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No regrets. Have the original with wifi. Home, office, and schools all have connectivity. Hotels all have connectivity. I just ordered a MiFi, to replace my outdated USB at home, which will make us mobile if we want.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No regrets.

I struggled with the decision for a while, but wih the verizon connectivity issues and the AT&T pricing of (I think) $25 for 1 gig the wifi only option seemed like a better deal.

I also have a mifi card with no contract. As for GPS, I use my smart phone.

Most reactions

Latest posts