What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you regret jailbreaking your iPad?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you can just let Yahoo Messenger run in the background while you do something else!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
, why not go ahead jailbreak now then when OS4 comes out wait for the jailbreak then do it again ? I m sure many will be doing that just as I will.

Don't tempt me.:D

When OS4 comes out those that did JB, will have to do it again? How come?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two things (among many others) iOS4 will do --

1) Allow you to group apps (12 I think) in folders. Let's say you have a lot of games. Instead of having them spread out all over, you can just put them in a folder called, I don't know... Games for instance, and that way they will be easier to find.

2) The other biggie is multi-tasking or being able to have several apps open at once. For instance, I have the Whistle phone app. It works great, but the app has to be running in order to receive calls. If I want to do something else on my iPad, I have to close the app and therefore, won't be able to receive (or make) calls. So this way, I can open Whistle and just let it sit in the background waiting while I peruse the posts here on the forum.

Besides the fact that both of those things can presently be done with jb apps. You will not lose these features when ios4 comes out and you jb it. Still no reason not to.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No reason for the moment to JB. I would do it but for the moment Cydia doesn't give me a proper reason to do it. If you have one please share it with us.

Backgrounder, lets you actually run apps in the background.

Ifile, let's you treat your device with a folder structure.

Pwntunes, makes your device bootable via USB on PC like a memory stick, and you can also dump mp3s and it'll sync with the ipod app.

Mywi, more for my iPhone, but makes my iphone into a wifi route for anyone I'd like to share my 3G with, including my ipad.

Winterboard, iconoclasm, theme that ipad! Its beautiful!

Sbsettings, let's you have a tiny control panel instantly so you can turn off and on wifi/Bluetooth or reboot without going into a lot of menus.

Wifisync, lets you sync with itunes via wifi, no USB cable required.

Multiiconmover, move more than one icon at a time!

chronus, save more than one save file for apps, lol i use it for games.

My most favorite app has to be ifile. I download something from FTP with goodreader, take that file in ifile and put it in the oplayer app directory now it can play there!

Edit: also PDF loading Warner, allows you to block that pdf security exploit, funny how a jail broken device is now more secure than a regular device. I guess until apple releases a software update.

And don't forget netatalk, which let's you log in to your idevice like it's a hard drive over wifi.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sweet, there are just some people who will be damned if Steve Jobs is going to dictate what they can and can't put on a piece of hardware that they own. For those people, it is not necessarily a matter of more flexibility and more options through jailbreaking, they are simply not going to give Apple any more money for apps than absolutely necessary. For me, and many others, the iPad is just fine right out of the box, but other people consider Apple to have a strangle hold on iPad (iPod and iPhone) owners and will do everything possible to loosen the noose.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sweet, there are just some people who will be damned if Steve Jobs is going to dictate what they can and can't put on a piece of hardware that they own. but other people consider Apple to have a strangle hold on iPad (iPod and iPhone) owners and will do everything possible to loosen the noose.

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight. But don't you think Steve Jobs knows people are going to JB his products? I wonder if he cares.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the end of the day, Steve's primary responsibility is to the shareholders of Apple stock. His job is to see that the company makes money so that the employees can be paid and the shareholders earn their dividends.

Does he care? I am sure he says he does, but as long as iPads are flying off the shelves, he can't really complain too much!

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the only people i could see regretting that they jailbroke their iPad are the people who somehow brick the device. I've been part of the JB scene since the very first iPhone and never had a problem.

Zenitsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not regret jailbreaking the iPad but to be honest when iOS 4 comes out for the iPad, I will move to iOS 4 without any reservations whatsoever.

For me, personally, there are many more reasons to preserve the iPhone's jailbreak status than there is to preserve the iPad's jailbreak status, and iOS 4 means more to me than a jailbroken 3.2.1 means to me.

But that's just me.

:)

Wow. Let's recap, shall we? :eek:

When iOS4 comes out, exactly what does this do to the ones that DID JB? Are you saying that there is no reason to JB once that does come out?

Or am I just missing it all together?:eek:

There is a reason to jailbreak when Ios4 comes out because you still aren't able to do a lot of things in ios4 that you can do now with jb. For example ios4 doesn't leave an app truly running in the bg like the jb app "backgrounder"

ctitanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
ultramobilepc-tips.com
Short answer NO. It helped me to understand a lot better how this device organize files. Thanks to that now I can read my mobi ebook collection in my iPad using the Kindle application.:D

Azieser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well the ones that post that their iPad was bricked are a small percentage of all who actually have done it since swipe to jailbreak came out at jailbreakme.com. But having said that Apple is about to release a patch to the pdf opening and once they do then the jailbreak site will no longer work and you will have to keep using your locked iPad until the new jailbreak is discovered. But for those who miss out on currently available method, it normally takes a couple of days for a new one to be found. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts