What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed with netflix streaming selection

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you about the different contracts between the various companies. But the with Netflix you pay a monthly fee to stream movies and have new releases sent to your house on either DVD or Blu-Ray. With iTunes or Amazon Video on Demand you are renting each movie you stream. You are paying per movie, not a monthly fee. It would be the same as going to the Video Rental store and getting the new releases except you don't have to leave your house.
That type of a rental service would be good on the iPad.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...with Netflix you pay a monthly fee to stream movies and have new releases sent to your house on either DVD or Blu-Ray. With iTunes or Amazon Video on Demand you are renting each movie you stream. You are paying per movie, not a monthly fee. It would be the same as going to the Video Rental store and getting the new releases except you don't have to leave your house.

Netflix is the best deal going in terms of value, now that they offer streaming content (I'd never use the dvd service). My chief reason for preferring Amazon's Video on Demand over iTunes is that if you buy a digital copy of the movie or tv show, you can stream it forever, from anywhere, but even the cheapest rentals and purchases can't beat $9 a month unlimited. The downside is the content is older.

My 2nd pick is still Amazon, because you can stream your rentals and purchases from anywhere on any pc - you just log in to your account. With iTunes, you have to download it and use up your drive space - a critical issue, with the iPad's limited resources. Also, movies from Amazon are much cheaper - they regularly have $5 specials on movies and $10-$15 tv seasons. I've seen some shows for $40 on iTunes that I bought for $14 on Amazon.

The sole benefit of iTunes is their sweetheart deal with the Disney group of companies, as content from them - like tv shows currently on ABC - isn't available elsewhere. On the music side, they seem no cheaper than Rhapsody. The iTunes app does keep playing in the background, which Rhapsody's doesn't do (yet).

Blind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the streaming for Netflix. I don't have to be the first to see a movie upon release, so, I don't mind waiting. Nine dollars a month is cheap, and, as the competitors for market share increase I don't think it's going to stay that cheap for long.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's strange no one mentions that for that same $9 a month you also get DVD's, it is effortless, granted I don't must my butt to watch them the day they show up, so I only get about 4 or 5 a month. But it beats the heck out of buying a movie and then you usually never watch it again anyhow.

Addicted2it

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really an iPad issue but I am disappointed in the selection of movies available for streaming. I signed up for netflix just to stream movies and tv shows on my iPad, but I find mostly older movies and tv shows. Is anyone else disappointed in the selection?

I have been able to purchase new DVDs with the digital copy option. You can then upload the movie to iTunes, then download to your iPad. It's an expensive way to buy movies, and takes about an hour or so to do the transfer, but it works.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
the way they work with their streaming selectiong is that they get permission for streaming a movie for a set length of time. Each movie they put up for streaming cost them a lot of money so what they do is rotate the streaming collection.

instead of adding and adding and their monthly costs going up and up, they have a set number of streamable movies and once one movies time period is up they get rid of it and put in another one for streaming.

not to long ago i remember they saying that they made a deal with one of the movie companies (WB i think) that they would hold off each of their new release DVD's for a week longer than normal before renting it out in exchange for WB allowing them to instant stream a much greater number of their past movies without charging them more.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me the issue wasn't that Netflix didn't have the selection, it's that no way with two 60" HDTVs at home am I going to stream a movie to my iPad, and when I am on the road, I have realized that most hotels have the crappiest internet on earth...so it was horrible to try to stream anything. So I canceled.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to say, Netflix requires so little bandwidth for streaming that even my MiFi can feed enough to keep it working good. And so far even crappy hotel internet connections, the same ones that couldn't feed my sling player to save their life, work really great with Netflix on the iPad.

dearbee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When trying to watch a tv series through instant streaming I have a difficult time advancing or skipping to the next episode. Am I missing something?

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once in awhile you'll get a surprise......like This is It. Lots of TV series. Since it's free I ain't complaining.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When trying to watch a tv series through instant streaming I have a difficult time advancing or skipping to the next episode. Am I missing something?

When I watch TV shows, after the show it goes back to browsing and I just choose the next episode.

dearbee

iPF Noob
Reaction score

When I watch TV shows, after the show it goes back to browsing and I just choose the next episode.
thanks. for some reason i don't see that option to choose the next episode. it brings me back to the main screen.

Aero320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
20,000 movies to stream

I have had Neflix for several months now and when I started, they had about 12,000 movies available for streaming, now the total is around 20,000. Also have Roku box hooked to the TV and their new interface really makes the experience better. There streaming selection is improving every day ... they know what we are looking for.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thanks. for some reason i don't see that option to choose the next episode. it brings me back to the main screen.

If you let the credits play through, it will give you the option to go "Back to Browsing" or "Play Next Episode." You also have the option to go back to browsing or select episode during playback, but only if you aren't in Fullscreen mode.

Most reactions