What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Pixel (week old)...Return it?

IrishPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive had my ipad just over a week and already a dead pixel. Is this a common problem? I purchased it from Best Buy so I am within my two week return policy.

Im wondering if I should return it and get a new one or take it in and tell them about the pixel. Im worried if I tell them they will want to try to go the route of tech support, fixes etc. Why would I go through that if I could just return it right?

Any thoughts or insight on the dead pixel and how I should proceed?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I've been really lucky in that despite all the devices I've owned Iv'e never had a dead pixel. From my own experience on these forums they are certainly not what can be called a common problem, but the odd one or two do pop up from time to time.

Is your initial post a typo? Is it an iPad, not an iPod? I could live with a dead pixel on an iPod, but probably not on an iPad.

I would suggest if it is prominent and annoying you then at least see if they will exchange it for you.

Hope that helps.

Rgsp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would take it back and ask for a new one. If I had a dead pixel, my eyes would constantly be looking at it and it would drive me crazy!

OP
I

IrishPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry...meant ipad, corrected! Should i return it and say nothing, or should i tell them about it and ask for a new one?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a good question. I don't know what BestBuy are like as we don't have them over here. If you are entitled to a full refund then you can just return it with no reason and then purchase another. If you think they will be sympathetic, then explain your plight. I know the Apple Store would likely replace for a dead pixel. I can't recall anyone on here being refused a replacement on those grounds, although that's not to say it hasn't happened.

Whilst zero dead pixels may be our expectation, they are not guaranteed in the specifications... But I'm sure you'll get an exchange or refund given the timescales if nothing else.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to my knowledge, with best buy you have 30 days, and they will not give you a hard time at all, straight exchange or full refund, no questions asked.

even though you bought it at best buy, you can take your iPad to the apple store(via appointment) and have them take a look at it, where if it can't be fixed on the spot, they will swap and give you a new one(once under the 1 year), receipt don't even have to be visible(can't find it).

although i read a couple times, dead pixels can be fixed sometimes...

don't forget to backup your iPad before taking it in/back.
ipad-backup.png

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
don't go to the apple store like this guy....trust me, you're not gonna have a problem.

gun-in-apple-store-e1313083204877.jpg

OP
I

IrishPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to my knowledge, with best buy you have 30 days, and they will not give you a hard time at all, straight exchange or full refund, no questions asked.

even though you bought it at best buy, you can take your iPad to the apple store(via appointment) and have them take a look at it, where if it can't be fixed on the spot, they will swap and give you a new one(once under the 1 year), receipt don't even have to be visible(can't find it).

although i read a couple times, dead pixels can be fixed sometimes...

don't forget to backup your iPad before taking it in/back.
ipad-backup.png

No local Apple store :(

Most reactions

Latest posts