What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 3 returned - Dead pixels on screen.

Tristan Heard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my iPad exchanged in store however, Although it was factory built the components come from faulty units. So I ask myself this, if I've paid best part of £450 which was though the apples web site on finance have I been given a brand new replacement or a reconditioned model?? To be fair it works and my previous issue has been resolved but should I be happy with the model I have? It was boxed and wrapped in store not in an iPad box but it looks brand new, no cosmetic issues etc. I still have my 12 months warranty but they told me in store that apple care is separate to Apple?? So I should have dealt with them as they are only an online tech support!!! Says its apple, looks like an apple so I guessed it was an apple!!!!!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Got my iPad exchanged in store however, Although it was factory built the components come from faulty units. So I ask myself this, if I've paid best part of £450 which was though the apples web site on finance have I been given a brand new replacement or a reconditioned model?? To be fair it works and my previous issue has been resolved but should I be happy with the model I have? It was boxed and wrapped in store not in an iPad box but it looks brand new, no cosmetic issues etc. I still have my 12 months warranty but they told me in store that apple care is separate to Apple?? So I should have dealt with them as they are only an online tech support!!! Says its apple, looks like an apple so I guessed it was an apple!!!!!

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Do you know for sure this is reconditioned?

Personally, I would not worry about it being reconditioned as long as it looks perfect and functions fine and I have a full warranty. Many times reconditioned items are merely things that were bought, taken home and opened, and then returned, for a variety of reasons. If the outside was damaged, I doubt that part what ever show up as a product, because no one would accept damaged equipment as brand new. If it is cosmetically perfect and functions as such, then for all intents and purposes it is perfect. And there is no way anyone outside of an Apple factory could take several iPads apart and then take parts from many defective ones and put them into your unit and put it back together and have it appear perfect. iPad are not simple things to repair and it is doubtful any joe-blow has that kind of skill. It would have had to have been a unit that was returned, checked over carefully to be functional, and then offered up as reconditioned.

I don't see any good reason not to be happy. However, having said that, I do still feel you are entitled to a brand new model if you want one as it is still less than 1 month since the new iPad was offered for sale. I assume you are replacing a defect unit, not one you damaged (I assume) and are seeking a replacement for. New units that are defective should be replaced by new units, not reconditioned ones. Recondition items are offered for sale on Apples website for a lower price than new unit (another reason why I find it hard to believe they are giving you a reconditioned iPad).

So, did you damage your iPad and are getting it replaced using AppleCare +? Then this might be a different story altogether. If you are paying $50 for a replacement for an item you damaged, then I think they are within their rights to give you a reconditioned item, as long as it functions and appears in perfect condition.

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, perhaps I over-reacted a little having received my third iPad with dead pixels! Just as a quick update, my issues have been completely resolved and I am back to having a big smile on my face. After getting the 3rd bad screen, I called Apple again and they suggested that I took it to my nearest store, it's a bit of a drive for me, but I figured 'final throw of the dice, right!' After a quick look at my screen, confirmed they were dead pixels, got a brand new sealed replacement. I opened the new unit in store and we checked it very closely, all good this time. Got home and did a long and very close inspection and I can definately confirm that this screen is absolutely perfect.....thank you sweet lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I'm just enjoying my new iPad! Had to give it one more try as I just didn't want to go 'android' for my tablet device.....lol

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, perhaps I over-reacted a little having received my third iPad with dead pixels! Just as a quick update, my issues have been completely resolved and I am back to having a big smile on my face. After getting the 3rd bad screen, I called Apple again and they suggested that I took it to my nearest store, it's a bit of a drive for me, but I figured 'final throw of the dice, right!' After a quick look at my screen, confirmed they were dead pixels, got a brand new sealed replacement. I opened the new unit in store and we checked it very closely, all good this time. Got home and did a long and very close inspection and I can definately confirm that this screen is absolutely perfect.....thank you sweet lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I'm just enjoying my new iPad! Had to give it one more try as I just didn't want to go 'android' for my tablet device.....lol

I believe there was some Yellow Hue also on your iPad -3 right ? Has even that got resolved with the New Replacement ?

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, only dead pixels, never had any other issues. All the displays I had were very white. The final one I have with the good screen is also very white, so no issues for me now....at last!!!!

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, only dead pixels, never had any other issues. All the displays I had were very white. The final one I have with the good screen is also very white, so no issues for me now....at last!!!!

Yeah ! Lucky You ! :p

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To quote an old phrase, you've got to be in it, to win it!

The Archangel

I will Angel, I will...Let it Officially Release in this Part of the world ! Right now I am just listening to other's Happy Stories and some sad :D of them using their New iPad !

L

Lunar

Very pleased to hear you managed to get one with no bad pixels eventually. I hate seeing a dead pixel on my screen too, particular so when its new, and like you I would'nt fancy seeing it for the whole time you own your new iPad, so I fully understand your position.
Fair enough, if one fails later which IME is fairly rare, then we have to live with it, but not when new, especially at the prices we pay for our iPads.

Hope your current one turns out to be 100% trouble free matey.. you can now enjoy using it, without being fixated with that tiny pixel when you power it on.
You can now also stop looking at it at different angles trying to convince yourself it doesn't look too bad...lol, though I know for the next few days your'll still find it hard to resist the odd check. Enjoy!

Most reactions

Latest posts