What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 3 returned - Dead pixels on screen.

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got a replacement 64gb 4G arranged through Apple.

After setting it all up last night, I noticed at least 3 dead pixels on my screen.

Only noticed them due to being in Sketchbook, where the screen is bright white.

Thought at first they were just dust and tried to wipe it off, no deal, definately pixels.

Admittedly, they are very small and you have to look for them, however, now that I know they're there, my eyes just keep going to them.

I was a bit worried that this would affect my resale value and so took steps to get a replacement.

In fairness, Apple were brilliant and apologetic, replacement organised without any issues.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue with their new retina display?

We'll see what the new replacement looks like when it arrives.

Cheers.

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not heard anyone else on this forum who has reported any dead pixels on their new ipad, but Macrumors have a 'New iPad problems (dead pixels, overheating, scratched etc)' thread running.

There's definately a 'few' people out there who are in the same boat as me.

I love the new ipad and the screen is fantastic to look at, but I do feel quality control should be picking this stuff up during the manufacturing process.

I'm awaiting my replacement and will report back after I get a chance to check it.

geobernd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got one or a small cluster (hart to tell if it's one or more next to each other) dead pixels as well... Am on the fritz of does it bother me and do I exchange... Need to sleep over it for another night (no Apple Store right around here anyway)....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Before you get off on quality control and what ought to be happening...you need to do the actual rates of occurance...without that info, your comments really have no context. No manufacturing process is perfect and the more units sold the larger the raw numbers of problems will be...but the rates could still be small. So if you know all this info I'd love to see it. Thanks.

Tristan Heard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've most posted a new thread on a slightly different issue, I notice from time to time lots of dashes (like its raining) all over the screen, then it disappears but it's obviously some kind of issue, I'm just interested before I speak to apple if anyone else has experienced this, then I will know its more common than just my pad

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before you get off on quality control and what ought to be happening...you need to do the actual rates of occurance...without that info, your comments really have no context. No manufacturing process is perfect and the more units sold the larger the raw numbers of problems will be...but the rates could still be small. So if you know all this info I'd love to see it. Thanks.

Thanks AQ, not getting off on anything except raw facts. I have a defective screen and a 'Few' others seem to be reporting this same issue. I don't disagree that there will be a fault tolerance ratio, that in the grand scheme of things is probably low. However, I stand by my original comment, that these things should be picked up through quality assurance process during manufacture. I don't remember stipulating any specific facts or fault figures and if you can point me to the thread where I did this, I'd love to see it. All I'm trying to do is raise the issue, as others may NOT have noticed dead pixels yet and it may be prudent to have a close check before your 14 day return period is up - I think that, in those terms my post does have some context, hence my reason for posting it. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've most posted a new thread on a slightly different issue, I notice from time to time lots of dashes (like its raining) all over the screen, then it disappears but it's obviously some kind of issue, I'm just interested before I speak to apple if anyone else has experienced this, then I will know its more common than just my pad

Hi Tristan, I replied to you in your other thread - cheers :thumbs:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did check mine...so thanks for posting...but your comment about picking though is really unnecessary because they do already apply quality control measures..if they didn't apple would not have the level of customer satisfaction that they have. Your comment seems to imply, without any facts other than you and a few others got one with deal pixels, and as a result, QC is an issue. Picking over them anymore than they are already doing is unlike to yield zero deal picks on a screen with this kind of resolution. And with this type of resolution, the likelihood of dead pixels is probably greater and many people may not even be able to see them.

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did check mine...so thanks for posting...but your comment about picking though is really unnecessary because they do already apply quality control measures..if they didn't apple would not have the level of customer satisfaction that they have. Your comment seems to imply, without any facts other than you and a few others got one with deal pixels, and as a result, QC is an issue. Picking over them anymore than they are already doing is unlike to yield zero deal picks on a screen with this kind of resolution. And with this type of resolution, the likelihood of dead pixels is probably greater and many people may not even be able to see them.

Hi, customer satisfaction and build quality are two completely separate metrics - I see on some forums that guys are taking back defective apple products 4 or 5 times before they get an acceptable one. In this case the guy is probably unhappy with build quality but delighted with service levels. I think if you promote a new product based largely on the fantastic retina display then it's obviously going to be a disappointing buying experience for those 'few' that get defective screens. I'm not implying anything, just stating the bleeding obvious. Not attacking Apple as the customer service IS (In my opinion) second to none. Just hope the 'dead-pixel' problem is not a major issue for them on this new product, however neither you or I will be privy to the specific fault stats. QC was most definitely an issue on my one and the 'few' others who have reported a defective screen...lol

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, customer satisfaction and build quality are two completely separate metrics - I see on some forums that guys are taking back defective apple products 4 or 5 times before they get an acceptable one. In this case the guy is probably unhappy with build quality but delighted with service levels. I think if you promote a new product based largely on the fantastic retina display then it's obviously going to be a disappointing buying experience for those 'few' that get defective screens. I'm not implying anything, just stating the bleeding obvious. Not attacking Apple as the customer service IS (In my opinion) second to none. Just hope the 'dead-pixel' problem is not a major issue for them on this new product, however neither you or I will be privy to the specific fault stats. QC was most definitely an issue on my one and the 'few' others who have reported a defective screen...lol

Two separate but related metrics. You can't keep customers happy if you keep them running back for replacements. One impacts the other. And those few guys might be an oddballs...and certainly you and a few others who have QC issues are part of the stats but there are literally millions of others, and dead pixels are not a new concept at all and I think this report is very much to be expected. A few dead pixels is not, by some, considered a defective screen, too. Be happy that Apple thinks of it that way. Some vendors force a certain number before you can get a replacement.

gglaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with Lyndon23. Geez AQ_QC get over it, you work in QC or something ?
The guy is just bringing up something he noticed.

OP
L

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple do have an excellent policy for dead pixels (and most things actually), but before we get to that level - there's the 14 day 'no-questions' distance selling legislation for any internet purchases (within Europe anyway, not sure for US?). Within these 14 days, a buyer doesn't need to justify why they are returning it to Apple. It does make things slightly easier if you notice any issues within that initial time frame. That was my original message to everyone; just do a quick check and confirm you're happy, before time elapses and you need to start invoking Applecare etc. Just making sure that everyone is aware, better to notice screen issues now rather than needing to explain/justify youself to Apple 2 months down the line - right?

Tristan Heard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lyndon23 said:
Apple do have an excellent policy for dead pixels (and most things actually), but before we get to that level - there's the 14 day 'no-questions' distance selling legislation for any internet purchases (within Europe anyway, not sure for US?). Within these 14 days, a buyer doesn't need to justify why they are returning it to Apple. It does make things slightly easier if you notice any issues within that initial time frame. That was my original message to everyone; just do a quick check and confirm you're happy, before time elapses and you need to start invoking Applecare etc. Just making sure that everyone is aware, better to notice screen issues now rather than needing to explain/justify youself to Apple 2 months down the line - right?

Would it be a case Apple would only offer to repair the unit after your initial 14 day time period has elapsed?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I agree completely with this...and as I said, I did check my screen after your post. However, your other comment just seem to suggest to me that you question their quality control.

Most reactions

Latest posts