What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 3 returned - Dead pixels on screen.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, and I use to not get so lucky with these kinds of things, no significant problems for me. I went through 3 or 4 HDTVs when they first came out trying to find good one. I drove Mitsubishi crazy about it. They claim I cost them over 2 1/2 million dollars in people bringing their sets back for flaws because I pointed them out to people on the net.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, and I use to not get so lucky with these kinds of things, no significant problems for me. I went through 3 or 4 HDTVs when they first came out trying to find good one. I drove Mitsubishi crazy about it. They claim I cost them over 2 1/2 million dollars in people bringing their sets back for flaws because I pointed them out to people on the net.

That's funny. My husband last week received notice of a class-action settlement involving a Mitsubishi TV he bought. Apparently the whole lot had probs and they've promised servicing to every owner as needed.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just say there's no love lost between me and Mitsubishi.

My husband's set, now shunted into the garage because of newer TVs, has worked fine. He learned of probs only because of the class-action settlement. Of course, he owns only one of the Mitsubishis, and his experience apparently isn't reflective of the lot.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to get too far off topic but what year was your husband's TV?

I can't keep track of his TVs. I'm guessing it's about four years old.

The funny thing is, they're offering servicing or a new set at dealer cost. There are about a dozen models listed as duds on the class-action notice. Why would anyone want another set from a company that manages to deliver that many crummy sets?

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like he was part of the DLP class-action lawsuit. Mitsubishis has been notorious for years and years about denying claims saying that they never heard of problems when they get inundated with him and so forth.

Apple is an Angel company compared to Mitsubishi.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like he was part of the DLP class-action lawsuit. Mitsubishis has been notorious for years and years about denying claims saying that they never heard of problems when they get inundated with him and so forth.

Apple is an Angel company compared to Mitsubishi.

He didn't even know there was a prob, but won't be buying another from them.

Apple has great customer service compared to most companies. They replaced an iPhone I bought in one country and shattered in another, for free. I was expecting to pay, and they offered a freebie.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since this is having a hint of Mitubishi TVs. I purchased a DLP model on February 2010. Worked once then after that there would not be any picture on the screen. It turned out to be the ballast that was defective. Fixed for free on my part because of the warranty. Ever since then the TV worked fine with out any problems. I purchased a 3 year warranty for only 99 dollars from Square Trade. Covers everything on the TV.

Not to go back to Apple products I have never had ant that gave me any problems. I have had...

iPod Touch 2 of these. I lost one at the beach so I had to purchase another.
Bought and sold several iPads never had any problems with any of those. Those were all the first generation models.

The iPad I have now is perfect, first generation.

My new iPhone 4S I have had since February had not had any problems either.

Bottom lines am happy with both companies.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does DLP stand for in those TVs?! I googled, but it took so long I lost interest, and I didn't find any explanation for those letters. I don't know if my husband's set is DLP, or whether it's marked that way. The set is at our second home, so I can't even go look at it at the moment.

I've bought four iPads total that I've actually used (my husband's, my two and one I gave away), and none was defect-free. All have had backlight leaks, yellow screen or dead pixels. The leaks were minor, and I prefer a yellowish screen. But I might get around to exchanging iPad 2 because of the dead pixels.

I've gone through four iPhones and three iPods over the years, but haven't noticed any hardware probs on any of those, though.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, it's a Texas Instruments invention. A brief alternative to rear projection CRT. Panels have pretty much killed everything else, including DLP, except for front projector applications.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I've bought four iPads total that I've actually used (my husband's, my two and one I gave away), and none was defect-free. All have had backlight leaks, yellow screen or dead pixels. The leaks were minor, and I prefer a yellowish screen. But I might get around to exchanging iPad 2 because of the dead pixels.

I own one of each generation, 3, plus, another iPad2--that makes 4. The new iPad was the first one I had to return due to a screen problem, so maybe I should say I have had five iPads? All four iPads that I have kept are screen perfect.

Most reactions

Latest posts