What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Completely unacceptable ipad2, complete unacceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Thphilli said:
It has nothing to do with the connection, as it does it when the page is already finished loading. Its a RAM issue. For some reason iOS doesn't seem to cache the page correctly, probably due to overaggressive memory management due to the small amount of RAM Apple uses in the iPad and iPad2. I have never had this issue on any other device that I have owned. My Android phone does it when the webpage isnt fully loaded, but once the page is completed it smoothly scrolls the entire website without any checker boarding. Its almost as if iOS caches the top 30% of the web page and then when you scroll into the middle 30% it flushes the top 30% from memory, etc, etc, etc. I don't think they need to be this aggressive with memory management.

then it should happen for everyone, yet, it doesn't happen for everyone

too many apps open?

Kirwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried that site on my iPad 2 using my home wifi. Not getting the same result. It scrolls smooth with no white spaces. I don't have a camera setup to upload video of it, but it is scrolling smooth with no gaps.
What does Apple say?

Not white spaces. It's a checkerboard pattern. You should be able to see it after refreshing and immediately scrolling before the page is loaded. (Doesn't always happen.) It also occurs if you have too many apps open.

Last edited:

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Kirwin said:
Not white spaces. It's a checkerboard pattern. You should be able to see it after refreshing and immediately scrolling before the page is loaded. It also occurs if you have too many apps open.

don't know about having too many apps open, but i get the same if i scroll down after hitting refresh, the chekerboard is because the site is not loaded fully, compared to say a windows laptop, you get blank space holders for pictures until they are loaded

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to applaud all of the people who came to this thread and offered advice and helped the original poster through this issue.

With a subject line like the one they used I would have expected all of the replies to be very nasty but everyone was very helpful and polite.

To the original poster: Perhaps next time you should consider a subject like:

- Does anyone else have this issue on this website?

or

- I am getting laggy response on screen updates. Any ideas?

Rather than the inflammatory subject you used.

This forum has a GREAT group of helpful people.

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i want to applaud all of the people who came to this thread and offered advice and helped the original poster through this issue.

With a subject line like the one they used i would have expected all of the replies to be very nasty but everyone was very helpful and polite.

To the original poster: Perhaps next time you should consider a subject like:

- does anyone else have this issue on this website?

Or

- i am getting laggy response on screen updates. Any ideas?

Rather than the inflammatory subject you used.

This forum has a great group of helpful people.
+1+1+1+1

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine runs as fast as i want it to.

Now just return yours and stop complaining to us.

You could be a lot nicer...Twism86

I would like to thank the contributors of this thread. This is what the forum should be like.

We don't need to be nasty and try to stifle honest queries.

As we learn we grow.

Thanks everyone

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it the one site that is doing it? I can't see the vid from work. I haven't had any problems yet.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is why the iPad needs more memory. 512 just isn't enough.

Ya like really Apple...is this 1993 we're still living in? Even 4yr old smart phones have more than 512MB ram :rolleyes:

At the end of the day multitasking on ipad 2 blows mostly due to the weak 512MB ram. Im surprised Apple even gave us that! Why not just 128MB?:eek:

pdxgeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this same issue. Its definitely not my internet connection as I rock a 50mbps connection at work and a 30mbps connection at home.

As ipads can easily play a 5gb 720p MP4 file, it should have no problem completely displaying a website and scrolling through it. While its not a deal breaker, its definitely disheartening to see how long it takes to initially open a page and scroll through it compared to my Evo 4g, or Android tablets.

I think this all comes down to how Safari renders a page. I fully believe that the delay and the scrolling issues are related. I believe when Safari is rendering a website, it takes the webpage, makes a static "image" of that page to maintain a desktop browser like experience and vector graphic zooming, and thats where the delay AND the checkerboard issues come about. I may be way off base with this, but with my experiences, that is what the symptoms say to me is happening.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 has this same issue as does my mother's. Both of the iPad 2 models that I played with in the Apple store last weekend did the same thing. I asked the Apple sales guy about it and he said intense websites can be "a little slow" scrolling so I figured it was just a normal thing.

Reaction score
The issue is definitely caused by available, or rather non-available RAM.

On iPad 2, it shouldn't be much of an issue, I can open hfboards.com, swap to Asphalt 6, play a few rounds, swap back to Safari and scroll up and down, as fast as I want and not once does it need to recache

On iPad 1, it is another thing. If the memory is free, it won't have to recache once, when scrolling, regardless of how fast I scroll, but if it runs low on memory, it takes time to reload. I think what happens is, Safari creates a local copy of the website, but only keeps part of it in the RAM, so it takes a while to recache, as it stores the rest off the website on the flash drive.

Anyway, running a deep clean with XSysInfo can fix this issue on both iPad 1&2, as it frees the memory, so Safari keeps the whole website in the RAM, instead of just parts.

Last edited:

metheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my Ipad2 wifi only linked to my vzw fascinate's hotspot.

No issues the site loads fast and scrolls fine.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts