What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy iPad2 or wait for iPad3?

BostonDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I too am trying to decide betweenand buying an IPAD-2 and IPAD-3. Either way, I'm waiting until the IPAD-3 is available to buy something. Some background - I received an Asus TF201 for Christmas and it was nothing but problems, Asus removed GPS from the specification after the purchase because it didn't work, Wifi was extremely slow, constant browser lockups, manufacturing issues are preventing retailers from stocking the product, and weeks after initial shipment, Asus already started shipping hardware revision 2. I had my wife return the gift and plan on purchasing either an IPAD-2 or IPAD-3. Because of the TF201 experience, part of me wants the IPAD-2 because all the bugs(if any) are already worked out, while the other part of me would still like to have the latest technology and go for the IPAD-3.

For those that purchased the original IPAD and IPAD-2, can you tell me if there were any wide-spread problems with them when they launched or were they mostly problem-free. Does anyone know if Apple released multiple HW revisions of either the IPAD or IPAD-2. Appreciate your feedback in helping me decide.

MoonWell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
myjewelfetish.wordpress.com
BostonDan said:
Hi Everyone

I too am trying to decide betweenand buying an IPAD-2 and IPAD-3. Either way, I'm waiting until the IPAD-3 is available to buy something. Some background - I received an Asus TF201 for Christmas and it was nothing but problems, Asus removed GPS from the specification after the purchase because it didn't work, Wifi was extremely slow, constant browser lockups, manufacturing issues are preventing retailers from stocking the product, and weeks after initial shipment, Asus already started shipping hardware revision 2. I had my wife return the gift and plan on purchasing either an IPAD-2 or IPAD-3. Because of the TF201 experience, part of me wants the IPAD-2 because all the bugs(if any) are already worked out, while the other part of me would still like to have the latest technology and go for the IPAD-3.

For those that purchased the original IPAD and IPAD-2, can you tell me if there were any wide-spread problems with them when they launched or were they mostly problem-free. Does anyone know if Apple released multiple HW revisions of either the IPAD or IPAD-2. Appreciate your feedback in helping me decide.

Well I went ahead and recently purchased an iPad 2, just weeks until the alleged launch of the iPad 3. I love it and do not regret my purchase, however my needs are not all that high. I was coming from trying to use an iPod touch 4th gen for everything, I still have it as a back up just in case I want to store all of my music on that in the future, but my great needs were for a large screen, which I love, better battery because i hate being attached to a charger at all times, and more space, so I bought the largest. It is satisfying all my needs so I am happy! My mother is another case where she loves the newest technology available. So I told her about the rumors and if they are all true, she will definitely trade up. I think it all depends on your needs to begin with. You could chose to buy a refurbished device and trade up when the time comes. My best guess is that there would be a $100.00 difference. But buying a refurb would be a good in-between while you are waiting for the iPad 3. Just my 2cents.

Wingless

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If for some reason someone cant wait a month or so for iPad 3 being twice as better then at least wait for the release so the iPad 2 price will drop tremendously, apparently. But by that time might as well go big or go home.

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chances are that the jb for ipad 3 will not be available for a couple of months anyway.

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im in the exact same boat. Have decided to wait until the release of the ipad 3 regardless as ive read above if the ipad 3 happens to not appeal to me (highly doubt that) then ill just buy an ipad 2 for a reduced price than what it is currently. Win win situation in my eyes, just the waiting game will be a drag lol

Reaction score
Just sitting here as well with a TF201...have a couple days left to return...I agree this thing is buggy.....and well I'm thinking like you and just going with a device that works.. I mean 50 million others can't all be wrong

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just sitting here as well with a TF201...have a couple days left to return...I agree this thing is buggy.....and well I'm thinking like you and just going with a device that works.. I mean 50 million others can't all be wrong

Return your TF201, before it's too late!!

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iam also waiteing there are rumors that the ipad 2 will drop to 299 but who know and if the ipad3 is that much better i just might get the ipad3 as of now iam just playing thewaiteing game and saveing my money lol

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tazz3 said:
iam also waiteing there are rumors that the ipad 2 will drop to 299 but who know and if the ipad3 is that much better i just might get the ipad3 as of now iam just playing thewaiteing game and saveing my money lol

I wish I had your patience.....!

The Archangel

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The waiting game is longer than waiting for the launch date. Once you have your ipad 3 in your hands, the jb wait starts. So even if the ipad 3 launches in March, we are talking about an approx 6 months wait to have a fully functional device.

BostonDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've decided to wait for the IPAD-3 and will purchase it when released. If the rumors are true, I expect the IPAD-3 will have similar processing power to the TF201, however without all of the problems.... Thanks Everyone!!!!!

Surroundedbytrees - return the Tf201 if you haven't already. Many forum posters at XDA-Developers.com which did not have issues with the TF201 are now expriencing low wifi performance. They state that the wifi returns to normal levels if the device is pinched in certain locations. The forums posters are speculatingthe pogo-pin connectors are providing inconsistent connections, and likely will provide inconsistent connections over time. Sounds to me like the TF201 is going to have many more unhappy users as time goes by. The initial theory that the aluminum backplate was causing interferance appears false. Good Luck.

Gzoladz - why do you say 6 months for a fully functional device? My impression was that Apple is very thorough with its QA process and although bugs may get through, for the most part, users receive a fully functional product at day-1. Did the IPAD-2 take 6 months? Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks Again Everyone.
Dan

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dan, yes, you get a perfectly working ipad when you buy it, but to get the most of it, we then jailbreak it.

On average, the jb for a newly launched device has taken 3 months from launch date. With that assumption, you would now be waiting 3 months for launch date and another 3 months for the jb, if that is your thing.

This is all speculation, off course.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People already content with their iPad-2, Trespassers will be prosecuted :)

Most reactions

Latest posts