What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy iPad2 or wait for iPad3?

msgtusaf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First let me say that I searched the forum for answers to my question, but could not find much by way of comparison. I realized that no one really knows what the iPad3 will look like and that what we do know may be a lot of speculation.

I bought my wife an iPad2 for her birthday in August. It is awesome and more than meets my needs, however, I rarely get to use it. She uses it daily and simply loves it.

So, I want my own iPad. Should I get an iPad2 for Christmas or do you think I should wait for the iPad3 to come out next March? If you feel I should wait, please provide reasons why. I've read that the iPad3 is supposed to have a brighter, more robust display, but other than that I don't know what other advantages the "3" will have over the "2".

Any and all comments/recommendations are welcome and encouraged.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No one knows what the iPad 3 will be, so your guess is as good as anyone's

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
msgtusaf said:
I bought my wife an iPad2 for her birthday in August. It is awesome and more than meets my needs

Hmm, I'm thinking this......shouldn't it more than meet your wife's need? Just sayin'.

Anyhoo, I'd just go and buy one, if you are considering the fact that you may want to upgrade soon then why not go for a refurb, you get a good saving and get an iPad that you won't be able to tell from new with the exception of the box it comes in.

The Archangel

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
How eager are you for an IPad?

It's general practise to buy what you want now, and let technology take it's course later on, else you'll always be wanting and never be satisfied.

Ipad3 speculation is just that. It'll probably look most similar but be more highly spec'd. But know one exactly knows.

If I were you and I loved my wife's ipad2, then I'd want one for Christmas.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 3 is due in March, baring any unforeseen problems. You can get one for Christmas and be just like your wife, or wait until March and make her jealous.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would you want to make your best friend jealous? You must want to change brides soon ... or you just like conflict?
This speculation on iPad3 is just a game ... is everyone having any fun yet?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not wait for the iPad 4?

Given Apple's production history and its timing, we're close to a new iPad. I'd wait for a few months.

Each person's ability to delay gratification differs, of course. (Meaning for fun gadgets, not say an organ transplant, lol.) For me, waiting a few months for a better device would be reasonable and doable.

iPad 3's features are guesswork for consumers, but I'd also consider that iPad 3 will probably get firmware upgrades longer than existing ones.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Thank God for this forum! Hopefully, it will relieve the other forums from the daily threads on this topic. :)

LMAO!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Thank God for this forum! Hopefully, it will relieve the other forums from the daily threads on this topic. :)

Ha! Good luck with that ;)

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just bought an ipad2 for my wife,,,and i'm hogging it:). so i'm facing the same question. all i can do is offer what i've seen so far. there is a slight difference in price from OG ipad to ipad2. it is cheaper, in fact, to get the refurbed 2 than a new OG ipad. people who are selling their ipads are asking too much, imo, based on how much trust you place on a stranger's word.

so if you're looking for great savings by waiting for a 3 to make the 2 obsolete,,,it won't happen. the only reasoning i've read for a lower ipad2 price is that MAYBE apple will cut the price to compete better with the kindle fire...i doubt it. otoh, if the 3 comes with a better screen and more powerful processor,,,,well, those are the two things that drain a battery the most, so will you see a drop in that wonderful 10hr battery life?? personally, i think the battery life is HUGE.

i like the 2 for what it is. don't need better processor speed, and the screen works for me. if the 3 comes in with all that and the same battery, i still wouldn't think the price difference would be worth it, but that a personal decision everyone makes.

jmho

Last edited:

liemjerry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello i'm new here
let me say some experience : i just bought my ipad 2 64GB 3G+Wifi black and very happy with it.
it doesn't matter wheter in April or May iPad 3 will launch.
For me, technology is what I need, when it solved by iPad 2, why not i go for iPad 2 ?

The change of camera, gorilla glass, higher speed processor or maybe the development of 1080p resolution is useless for me, so why must I pay much when I don't need it, just want it ?
It unwise spent of my money :)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 3 will be out in late February or in March. A couple of things will be given, but here are some interesting current rumors. The iPad 2 will continue to be offered, but at $399. The precedence for this can be found in the iPhones. Not a big deal since you can buy the reconditioned iPads for around that price. There is also a rumor that not all the scheduled upgrades could be ready for this launch, so they will have an iPad 4 intro in October. The rationale is that Windows 8 mobile is due around then, and they want a killer incentive to maintain their market hold. I would say that they will wait until the last minute to make the decision to jump the gun, or just wait until the traditional cycle to bring it out.

Most reactions

Latest posts