What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big WiFi performance improvement

Krew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I just wanted 2 throw this out there in case it might help anyone else. I've been using my iPad 2day with our WiFi and its been okay but pretty slow actually. It's stalled a couple of times but never really disconnected (just sometimes took a long time 2 open web pages or whatever).

Anyways, I noticed something really interesting. Even tho the WiFi was working, I went into the settings and turned off auto-brightness and WOW. All of a sudden (and instantly) I got a HUGE performance improvement with WiFi. My web pages are opening hugely fast now and my comics downloads (was gettin some comics from the Comixology "Comics" app) were super fast compared to what they were b4.

It SEEMS that just turning off auto-brightness made this big improvement. If anyone else is having slow WiFi issues can u try this and see if this works? It would be really good 2 know for peeps who are having slow connections. :)

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
That is very interesting..... Who knows, maybe it's why I've never has a problem as I turned the auto brightness off the first thing when I got mine......

tozol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mmm, weird that one, can't see any reason at all why turning that off would make that improve.

Hopefully Apples fix should be here soon.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mmm, weird that one, can't see any reason at all why turning that off would make that improve.

Hopefully Apples fix should be here soon.

Apple has confirmed that brightness has something to do with it though.

Cool tip Krew!

JLStrange

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmmm..... I just read this post, turned off auto brightness and.......it does seem to be faster! Power of suggestion perhaps?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Very odd.

I wasn't experiencing any issues with my wifi speeds however I deiced to give this a test.

I ran three speed test on my ipads wifi speeds, then turned off auto brightness and ran three more speed test. The result was 6 times faster speeds with auto brightness off.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use auto brightness, but I also set the slider to 0, I've never had wifi issues. Could be why.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was consistently having trouble re-acquiring my wifi connection at home after using the sleep button. Since turning off the auto sensor, not a problem.

jimjar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turning off auto-brightness was a huge improvement for me too! I totally could not start a Netflix movie on my iPad (but Netflix worked great on my MacBook on the same wifi network) until I turned off auto-brightness. Now Netflix works fine on the iPad.

Autobrightness never seemed to work anyway, so I'm happy to turn it off.

Most reactions

Latest posts