What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Brighness Issue

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've only had my iPad2 for 2 days, but am observing significant differences in the way auto-brighness works compared to my iPad1, which I have had since launch. Both are 4.3.3 (and trust me the jailbreak status is irrelevant, as I observed this immediatley from powering on my new device).

In normal lighiting (office / home), my iPad2 is basically on full brighntess (due to auto brighness) all the way down the brighness slider until about 55-60%, then it starts to reduce. Of course if I turn off auto-brighness, then the slider works across the full range as expected.

On the iPad1, the effect of auto-brighness is not very much. Maybe + and - 10% of whatever level you have it at, and it makes a good assessment of the ambient light.

On my iPad2 is just seems to be maxing out the brighness most of the time as if it believes it is very very bright in terms of ambient light all the time.

Anyone else make this overservation too, or do I have a dodgy sensor? I thouhgt I'd seen another thread a while ago which was similar, but I can't find it, and didn't really contribute then because I didn't have an iPad2 at the time.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That was it, thanks Tim. (note to self - make sure you search without typos - there are loads of results if you type the right thing...)

Seems like a few folks have varying degrees of the same thing on the Apple site.

It's not a show stopper for me, but it is markedly different from the way my iPad1 behaves.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was it, thanks Tim. (note to self - make sure you search without typos - there are loads of results if you type the right thing...)

More than likely that 'much admired' iPad autocorrection kicking in...:D

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely the auto-correction. My boss at the Uni used to be 'Brian' and the spelling corrector in my email client kept changing it to 'Brain', so I understand these things...

Tim

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just sold my iPad 1 so can't compare directly but I did turn off the Auto Brightness feature on my iPad 2 almost immediately so I think I was seeing the same behaviour as you. I rarely if ever had to change the brightness setting on the iPad 1 but I much prefer to manually adjust the brightness on my 2.

Most reactions

Latest posts